Wheeeze,. Solar cooker.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Cook your stews, casseroles, soups ect with solar power. Plonk the ingredients into a saucepan, find a powerful magnifying glass to replace the pans lid. Then rest it in the sun upon your cabin roof and wait and wait and wait and wait (free to run slow cooker) and hope that the sun doesn't go in. It's best to begin cooking by this technique at sunrise. The longer you wait the more you'll appreciate it. Can also afford tremendous help for those on a diet, especially in the winter or if the sun doesn't come out.

Ps. It's obviously more advantageous to solar cook during the summer when it can quickly become a (fast cooker). smile.png

PPS. If there are fluffy clouds drifting about that keep on blocking out the sun, then lash the solar saucepan to your car's roof and drive about dodging the clouds keeping your dinner cooking in a nice hot sun.

Edited by bizzard

Dear Mr blizzard, as per usual your suggestions are incredibly interesting and I literally devour every word.

Small query over this one...when r we going to get sun to power solar and also wot happens to those of us who can't cook/won't cook..r there simple instructions as to wot to put in pot?

Dear Mr blizzard, as per usual your suggestions are incredibly interesting and I literally devour every word.

Small query over this one...when r we going to get sun to power solar and also wot happens to those of us who can't cook/won't cook..r there simple instructions as to wot to put in pot?

Mmmm, glad you like it patty-ann. For those who can't prepare stuff for cooking I suggest buying tins of soups, stews, casseroles, baked beans, tins of all-day breakfasts, meatballs ect, there's heaps of tinned stuff to chewz from, and bung em in the solar cooker. Hope this helps. unsure.png

Edited by bizzard

Slight technical problem today- no sun but it's been snowing -salad for tea ?

Oh well. You will need to watch weather forecasts for the right sunny moments. It'll soon be spring however and solar cooking can then begin in earnest.

Nothing to do with solar but years ago when we were house hunting and had to travel with infant kids we would heat up food on the exhaust manifold of the Allegro, jars of gloop for them and a pasty each for us. As a car the Allegro was crap but as a cooker it was excellent.

In the early days of my career in the late 1970s I did hear stories of computer operators, particularly on the night shift, having cooked pies inside the CPU cabinet, which sounded quite plausible to me. In the 1960s and 1970s a typical CPU and its core memory, so called because each bit was stored in a little magnetised iron ring, occupied a cuboid box about two feet on each side, and produced a lot of heat. Sometimes, so I was told, the design would include a gap at the top into which a pie could be inserted, presumably on a metal tray to prevent dripping juices from damaging the company's very expensive computer and getting the operator sacked.

Modern computers generate a lot less heat, but having done a little search it seems that some people are continuing the proud tradition of computer cookery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVLXedAcwM

I particularly liked the nerdy technical discussion in the comments about whether heat output could be improved by slowing the fan speed or overclocking a processor.

I believe during WW2 anti-aircraft searchlight operators often boiled kettles for tea in front of the lamps. Locals when looking skywards at the action used to wonder why shadow imprints of kettles were displayed upon the German bombers.

I've seen the same thing used, high in the himalaya, a parabolic mirror I believe. This one was a bit big for most boats though.

http://www.appliedgreentechnology.com/solar-cookers/

I should state I do have a connection to this company, but they are in the forefront of this technology especially in the Indian Subcontinent and Africa

Yes that kind of thing,but the one I saw was like a medium sized satellite dish mounted on a frame so that it could be turned and tilted towards the sun. It was quite a few years ago and it looks like they have moved on. Thanks for the link.

Regards kris

Yes it has moved on a lot over the last few years.