Cycling from Llangollen to Birmingham

Featured Posts

Hi guys. I'm cycling to Birmingham from Llangollen in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if it's possible to get all the way there along the canal towpaths? As in, are there any places without paths or where the path is particularly poorly suited to cycling. I generally use the roads, but it's a long journey along unfamiliar, busy roads, so was considering the canal instead. It'll be a longer route, and slower, but I'm much more likely to survive the journey! Besides, the scenic route or the noisy A roads? Really no contest.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by colinBroderick

Hi guys. I'm cycling to Birmingham from Llangollen in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if it's possible to get all the way there along the canal towpaths? As in, are there any places without paths or where the path is particularly poorly suited to cycling. I generally use the roads, but it's a long journey along unfamiliar, busy roads, so was considering the canal instead. It'll be a longer route, and slower, but I'm much more likely to survive the journey! Besides, the scenic route or the noisy A roads? Really no contest.

Thanks for your help.

There is a towpath for the whole of the route. The sections of Shropshire Union Canal where in cuttings can be very soggy but generally they are fine for cycling. The section from Wolverhampton to Birmingham particularly so.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

thats a mega cycle. I can't be of any help RE your questions but lots of luck and have fun. Hope you don't get too saddle sore

Yeah, it will be the longest I've done by quite a long way, but all my regular routes have become too easy so I've been looking to do something longer for quite a while.

There is a towpath for the whole of the route. The sections of Shropshire Union Canal where in cuttings can be very soggy but generally they are fine for cycling. The section from Wolverhampton to Birmingham particularly so.

Tim

Excellent, thanks for that. Are you able to tell me whether the route is obvious/signed? Any confusing junctions? Obviously I'll try to find a map but I always feel better when there are signs to reassure me :).

Take a few puncture repair kits, your going to need them.

You have to deviate from the towpath for tunnels obviously but there is normally a good path to replace it.

Sometimes there are stretches of the towpath that get closed for maintenance at times but these aren't particularly lengthy but the alternative route may well be.

The route from Llangollen to Birmingham is pretty straightforward although there are some dodgy sections between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Best to cycle fast on this route & don't stop for strangers.

• Greenie 1

Take a few puncture repair kits, your going to need them.

You have to deviate from the towpath for tunnels obviously but there is normally a good path to replace it.

Sometimes there are stretches of the towpath that get closed for maintenance at times but these aren't particularly lengthy but the alternative route may well be.

The route from Llangollen to Birmingham is pretty straightforward although there are some dodgy sections between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Best to cycle fast on this route & don't stop for strangers.

Hadn't considered that. Perhaps I'll get off before there and get a train the rest of the way? I'll probably be wishing I could stop by then anyway!

"Don't cycle fast" towpaths are just that pathways not race tracks beware of Hawthorne spikes, Dogs and People.

Towpaths can be very slippery and narrow but are pretty level until you reach a lock.

Yeah, it will be the longest I've done by quite a long way, but all my regular routes have become too easy so I've been looking to do something longer for quite a while.

Excellent, thanks for that. Are you able to tell me whether the route is obvious/signed? Any confusing junctions? Obviously I'll try to find a map but I always feel better when there are signs to reassure me smile.png.

Assuming that you are taking the most direct route via the Llangollen/Shropshire Union/BCN there are only four junctions to worry about, the one at the end of the Llangollen (Turn right) and three around Wolverhampton. Buying a map will make it obvious.

Ignore the comment about cycling between Wolverhampton and Birmingham, the natives are no worse than elsewhere. You actually have a choice of two routes between Wolverhampton and Brum, they are known as the Old Main Line and the New Main Line. The new main line is very straight whilst the Old Main Line is bendy and in my opinion more interesting. If you have the time visit the Black Country Living Museum which is close by.

There are longer routes via the Middlewich Branch, Trent & Mersey and a choice of routes into Birmingham, again a canal map will make these clear.

Tim

thats a mega cycle. I can't be of any help RE your questions but lots of luck and have fun. Hope you don't get too saddle sore

According to AC Canal planner its about 100 miles - on road that's less than a day's journey by bike, more like about 6 / 7 hours. (I'm a CTC member and I ride with a couple of Audax riders - 200Km is just a warm up for them! ). On a canal tow path it will be a lot slower and a lot more risky with the danger of falling in.

Good luck and have fun.

Yep - there is no way you will get from Llangollen to Birmingham on an all-towpath route in one day.

I wouldn't think about cycling all the way on towpaths even if I had three or four days. Llangollen-Chirk will be fine, as will Bilbrook-Birmingham. But that's about it.

If you use a proper cycling route-planner - i.e. not Google - then it'll give you a much more suitable route that avoids A roads, and uses towpaths where they're suitable but not where they're unsuitable. Here's what cycle.travel suggests for Llangollen to Birmingham: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10427. 85 miles and only 300m of that is on A roads. You can wave at the Montgomery as you pass Maesbury, and the Severn in Shrewsbury. (But I'm a little biased as it's my site!)

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Tim

The towpath in Woodseaves cutting is pretty much gone in a few places as it is buried under slump from the cutting side. They probably are cycle-able but you'll end up extremely muddy.

Plus of course there are always the fishermen to add to the fun.

Yep - there is no way you will get from Llangollen to Birmingham on an all-towpath route in one day.

I wouldn't think about cycling all the way on towpaths even if I had three or four days. Llangollen-Chirk will be fine, as will Bilbrook-Birmingham. But that's about it.

If you use a proper cycling route-planner - i.e. not Google - then it'll give you a much more suitable route that avoids A roads, and uses towpaths where they're suitable but not where they're unsuitable. Here's what cycle.travel suggests for Llangollen to Birmingham: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10427. 85 miles and only 300m of that is on A roads. You can wave at the Montgomery as you pass Maesbury, and the Severn in Shrewsbury. (But I'm a little biased as it's my site!)

Cycling that kind of distance along the towpath sounds like a nightmare to me, especially when there is such wonderful road-cycling country so close by. I'd choose a route further south to avoid Shrewsbury/Telford - mid-Shropshire is excellent for cycling if you don't mind a few hills.

• Greenie 1

Plus of course there are always the fishermen to add to the fun.

And ramblers. And snappy dogs..... And mad cyclists coming the other way, or faster ones coming from behind you......

And as for those pesky boaters....... Actually most of us are okay! Though you do get the odd one who thinks because they've bought a boat they actually own the whole canal......

You'll get on fine I'm sure, as others have said don't expect to make it in one day so you will have to find somewhere to kip for the night. The most important thing though is ENJOY IT!!!!