Grass Cutting

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

Perhaps right time, before they start building their nests.

Probably yes the right time. The allowed dates are

Cross compliance for 2014 (GAEC 15) says that you must not in most situations: cut or trim any hedgerow on your farm between 1 March and 31 July (inclusive) each year. If you are in agri-environment the date after which you can trim could be later at 31 August. This date will depend on your agreement start date and option.

Quote from the NFU site.

My dad used to cut his hedges post harvest every year normally when he'd ploughed his fields . So this would be late September/early October cos we were always last ones to harvest.

I think I remember him saying that Defra stated after October and every other year...latter bit he tended to ignore as his hedges only got a trim not major cut down

Edited by patty-ann

Wrong time to start cutting hedges surely. Just as the birds are beginning to scout potential nest sites.Maybe I'm wrong. I'm no expert, despite the avatar.

When we moved to our canalside house almost a year ago, there were 21 conifers along the waters edge. One of the conditions CRT imposed on my application for the end of garden mooring was to take the trees down outside of the bird nesting season 1st March to 30th September.

Ok, CRT may well have cut within the guidelines regarding time of year but how many bird nests are going to be built in a 2ft hedge?

Probably a large number, principally by bird-brained birds which have not yet learned the meaning of "cat". Two years ago, a pair of robins built their nest and reared their chicks in a bin-bag full of kindling wood in our garage. The bag was resting on the garage floor and would have been easily accessible by predators, but the wee redbreasts survived.

Ok, CRT may well have cut within the guidelines regarding time of year but how many bird nests are going to be built in a 2ft hedge?

It won't be a two foot hedge for long. Next year it'll be at least twice that

I remember when i lived in bricks, the farmer had to cut his hedges before March and he was only allowed to cut certain ones every other year. He would alternate the ones around the fields.

No. They are allowed to cut between October and March.

• 2 months later...