T&M Stoppage at Dutton

Timleech

Featured Posts

This is apparently a bad leak on or near the repaired breach site:-

Trent & Mersey Canal
Starts At: Bridge 211, Dutton Hall Bridge
Ends At: Lock 76
Up Stream Winding Hole: Between Bartington Wharf and Bridge 211
Down Stream Winding Hole: Immediately below Dutton Stop Lock (tunnel side of the lock)

Thursday 27 November 2014 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Inspection

Original message:

We are investigaing a problem on the Trent and Mersey Canal in the Dutton Hall area and have had to close the canal to do this.

The canal is closed between Bridge 211 and Dutton Stop Lock.

Winding is available immediately below Dutton Stop Lock (tunnel side of the lock) and between Bartington Wharf and Bridge 211.

We would ask customers to moor on the moorings outside of the closed zone.

We will update as we get more information.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1962/bridge-211-and-dutton-stop-lock

When I saw the notice I wondered if there was a problem with the breach repair - or if another leak had sprung further along the valley. I'm very surprised if it is to do with the repair, which looked so thorough.

I don't know for sure the exact spot, just passing on what I was told.

Tim

any more news,on this stoppage please..

It's only happened this afternoon!

My understanding is that stop planks have been put in as a precaution, the level here has certainly dropped as the feed has been cut off. No doubt more will be revealed tomorrow.

Tim

There is a month long stoppage advertised for early next year for the whole length from Anderton to Dutton for "washwall inspection". There are quite a few areas along that length where finding the washwall could be a challenge, never mind inspecting it.

The walls are in a terrible state in a lot of places along there, and although it isn't the wall which keeps the water in the canal their condition does not inspire confidence in such a long embanked section. It's not been made clear what this inspection will entail.

There is now a modest but significant reverse flow through the stop lock, which is not a good sign.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

We moored above the breach last summer. While chatting to another boater I mentioned that we were on top of the breach site. He said that that was ok, it must be the only spot that should be safe. Now I am wondering...

I've been to have a look, and had a chat with an engineer (who had been there all night!).

There's a hole in the bank just on the waterline on the offside (uphill side) just beyond the SE end of the new section, and another hole nearer the bottom of the canal, with water running under the canal to the fields below.

He said he didn't yet know whether it was a really serious problem or a fairly minor one, that would have to wait for investigations when the level has been dropped further. There are planks in at the two bridges on either side, and pumps running to empty the length.

There will be a press release issued a bit later on.

I wouldn't plan any trips through here for next week.

Tim

Thanks for the information Tim. I do hope that it isn't serious because this is our main cruising route from

Anderton Marina where we moor. I agree with others that the banks look to be in very poor condition all along

that stretch

Vic Moses

Thanks for the information Tim. I do hope that it isn't serious because this is our main cruising route from

Anderton Marina where we moor. I agree with others that the banks look to be in very poor condition all along

that stretch

Vic Moses

Don't hold your breath. It'll be months rather than weeks, I reckon.

I'm trying to be philosophical, but my next two jobs were both due to come from the other side.

Tim

At least the recent T&M breaches and leaks have happened in the winter months. C&RT will know they need to get it sorted out in time for the holiday season next year and by the sound of it this isn't going to be anywhere near as major as the Dutton breach last year.

Here are some pictures from yesterday, when the level had been reduced by pumping.

This shows the hole just below waterline, on the offside:-

X88Z7h0.jpg

3EC574E.jpg

In the second picture, you can just about make out a floating bottle, which is at the centre of a vortex above another hole, this time in the canal bed.

Here's a view of the fields below:-

For the benefit of those who don't know the area, none of the water visible is the river Weaver.

mW1uVvx.jpg

The locals report that there has always been leakage since the day the breach site was reopened.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Here are some pictures from yesterday, when the level had been reduced by pumping.

This shows the hole just below waterline, on the offside:-

So it is within the area of the repair; that's very disappointing and I should think fingers are being pointed between C&RT and the contractors.

I remember an engineer telling me they had installed drainage to take excess water from the hillside under the canal, so they may have initially thought the leakage was the drainage doing its job.

Edited by journeyperson

So it is within the area of the repair; that's very disappointing and I should think fingers are being pointed between C&RT and the contractors.

I remember an engineer telling me they had installed drainage to take excess water from the hillside under the canal, so they may have initially thought the leakage was the drainage doing its job.

It's actually just outside the actual repair, though not by very much.

Tim

At least the recent T&M breaches and leaks have happened in the winter months. C&RT will know they need to get it sorted out in time for the holiday season next year and by the sound of it this isn't going to be anywhere near as major as the Dutton breach last year.

I just hope that there are no Great Crested Newts in the area or it will be a 12 month repair job detective.gif

Steve