Wash

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I am planning to take two trips on my 56' narrowboat across the Wash this summer. Plans are still pretty fluid, but currently look like this:

• late June/early July: Denver Sluice -> Kings Lynn -> Boston
  • mid-August: Boston -> Wisbech -> Peterborough

... with the tidal Trent and the Chesterfield inbetween.

If anyone is interested in coming along, sharing costs etc - I am already in discussion with Daryl the pilot - please drop me an email (details below) with your details. I have VHF, depth sounder, flares etc.

Interested in that you are going down the tidal Great Ouse to Kings Lynn from Salters Lode/Denver Sluice

We are thinking of going onto the Great Ouse in August, not via the Wash I hasten to add. How feasible would it be for us to go down as far a Kings Lynn? For example go from Salters Lode to Kins Lynn, over night there and next day Kings Lynn to Denver Sluice.

Interested in that you are going down the tidal Great Ouse to Kings Lynn from Salters Lode/Denver Sluice

We are thinking of going onto the Great Ouse in August, not via the Wash I hasten to add. How feasible would it be for us to go down as far a Kings Lynn? For example go from Salters Lode to Kins Lynn, over night there and next day Kings Lynn to Denver Sluice.

What follows is based on a discussion on the GOBA forum (do join GOBA - fantastic value and good moorings - if you do I will PM you the relevant link).

I asked the same question there a year ago, especially as there are now some decent pontoon moorings at KL.

The overall advice was that this trip could be a bit a bit hairy, as the tide runs out rather fast at KL (up to 7 knots) so even if you round up before you get to the pontoon, stopping could be a bit tricky. If you miss the moorings then next stop Hunstanton. And I don't think you can easily go Salters Lode to KL in one go, as there isn't much headroom at SL at high tide (two feet when I was last there!).

This does seem to be quite a tricky bit of river.

There is an alternative: go down the lock at Denver onto the relief channel, then cruise a couple of miles to north to Downham Market, and take the train from there to KL. You can see my boat here, and Denver in the distance....

dscf91321.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

What follows is based on a discussion on the GOBA forum (do join GOBA - fantastic value and good moorings - if you do I will PM you the relevant link).

I asked the same question there a year ago, especially as there are now some decent pontoon moorings at KL.

The overall advice was that this trip could be a bit a bit hairy, as the tide runs out rather fast at KL (up to 7 knots) so even if you round up before you get to the pontoon, stopping could be a bit tricky. If you miss the moorings then next stop Hunstanton. And I don't think you can easily go Salters Lode to KL in one go, as there isn't much headroom at SL at high tide (two feet when I was last there!).

This does seem to be quite a tricky bit of river.

There is an alternative: go down the lock at Denver onto the relief channel, then cruise a couple of miles to north to Downham Market, and take the train from there to KL. You can see my boat here, and Denver in the distance....

dscf91321.jpg

Taken from the road bridge, and I think I have seen your boat moored there. But that isn't Denver Sluice in the background surely, it has some chap's name, the George Smith Sluice or something?

Taken from the road bridge, and I think I have seen your boat moored there. But that isn't Denver Sluice in the background surely, it has some chap's name, the George Smith Sluice or something?

Correct: the AG Wright sluice, part of the Denver Sluice complex.

Named after A G Wright, Esq., OBE, Chairman of the Flood Protection Scheme Committee, between 1954 and 1964.

Thanks for that. I had assumed it was not easy given the proposal of putting a lock in the sluice at the end of the relief channel, that I had seen on the GOBA web site. I will shelve that idea then!

Going gown the relief channel is certainly a possibility. Llooks like there is a mooring further down at Watlington which also has a station, would that work?

Thanks for that. I had assumed it was not easy given the proposal of putting a lock in the sluice at the end of the relief channel, that I had seen on the GOBA web site. I will shelve that idea then!

Going gown the relief channel is certainly a possibility. Llooks like there is a mooring further down at Watlington which also has a station, would that work?

Yes, although I have not been there yet. (I km walk: you can see the pontoon on Google maps here).

Yes, although I have not been there yet. (I km walk: you can see the pontoon on Google maps here).

Yes seen that, which is what made me think it was a possibility. One more question and then I will stop hijacking your thread! Do you operate the lock to the relief channel yourself?

Yes seen that, which is what made me think it was a possibility. One more question and then I will stop hijacking your thread! Do you operate the lock to the relief channel yourself?

Yes - with a standard EA Abloy key.

There is a panel where you can type in your mobile phone number if you want to, and then log yourself out on the way back. I think this is so that the EA know if there are any boats on the relief channel, in case it needs to be used for some serious drainage....

We may well see you out and about.

We are not waiting for you in the Wash mind smile.png

Why do you think I have bought a white flare?

I have just had a very helpful discussion with the people at your marina, and I think a mooring is all sorted.

To get this thread back on topic, I have two boats who are keen on the return trip in August.

No takers yet for the outward trip (Denver to Boston). Currently looking at Thursday 28th May, depart Denver 0430 BST, just before Sunrise; or maybe a day later.

• Greenie 1

Yes - with a standard EA Abloy key.

There is a panel where you can type in your mobile phone number if you want to, and then log yourself out on the way back. I think this is so that the EA know if there are any boats on the relief channel, in case it needs to be used for some serious drainage....

Dan told me they will text you to warn you before seriously drawing the sluice so you are prepared for the faster flow rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you think I have bought a white flare?

I have just had a very helpful discussion with the people at your marina, and I think a mooring is all sorted.

To get this thread back on topic, I have two boats who are keen on the return trip in August.

No takers yet for the outward trip (Denver to Boston). Currently looking at Thursday 28th May, depart Denver 0430 BST, just before Sunrise; or maybe a day later.

Edited by oboat

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread: just a reminder that if anyone wants to join me in crossing the Wash please let me know soon.

Current plan is Denver to Boston on Saturday 23rd May, leaving at about 1130 - weather permitting.

[i have a good sized group for the return trip in August.]

We should see you in Boston then as we are heading there on the Saturday before heading to Wells on the Sunday.

Bar will be open if you need a drink!

Excellent, we will take you up on that.

Please make sure the lockkeeper - who I will contact separately - doesn't go home before we arrive (likely to be around 2030, in time to lock through on the level about 2100).....

Edited by Scholar Gypsy