mushroom vent s and rain

gaggle

Featured Posts

I have lately found water below mushroom vents on cabin floor , how low can these mushrooms be wound down before decreasing ventilation and causing hazard , I can only think it is rain bouncing up of the roof and up into the vent as paint seal around them at roof level looks to be sound , very rarely found these little puddles but yesterday yesterday after leaving boat for a week and the wild weather three vents seem to be affected , one , above the toilet pan thankfully quite bad with at least a couple of pints dripped into the pan.

I have lately found water below mushroom vents on cabin floor , how low can these mushrooms be wound down before decreasing ventilation and causing hazard , I can only think it is rain bouncing up of the roof and up into the vent as paint seal around them at roof level looks to be sound , very rarely found these little puddles but yesterday yesterday after leaving boat for a week and the wild weather three vents seem to be affected , one , above the toilet pan thankfully quite bad with at least a couple of pints dripped into the pan.

Not sure of the maths, but I shut mine right down and still get small quantities of water getting in. I think it's the splashing off the roof that does it. Until I rearranged the surfaces in the kitchen (galley), I used to find drip water on the worktop. Very unhygienic.

Most these days will only screw down so far and still leave adequate ventilation gap. The one over your bog is probably a special automatic toilet automatic self flushing one. When raining, I suggest using an umbrella when have a No2 and then move aside to let the vent do its job.

Are you sure it's not condensation dripping down from them?

Are you sure it's not condensation dripping down from them?

T o much water I think and it is only noticeable when heavy rain and wind probably makes worse , been on boat when it has rained very heavy and never noticed dripping , condensation occurs mostly I think on houdina hatch glass and sliding hatch over back entrance .

Mrs Sabcat has jut reminded me that our old mushroom vent used to let some water in with heavy rain and I changed them for vents with a larger upstand.

The real reason I changed them is because they were brass and people ask you when you're going to polish brass. The new ones are ali which I've painted.

Mrs Sabcat has jut reminded me that our old mushroom vent used to let some water in with heavy rain and I changed them for vents with a larger upstand.

The real reason I changed them is because they were brass and people ask you when you're going to polish brass. The new ones are ali which I've painted.

I like it, the only truly sensible solution.

Phil

AFAIK they can be wound down fully and still offer enough ventilation for winter time, so long as they've been properly specified. The BSS test, in theory, should check the ventilation requirement and it will assume the minimum fixed ventilation (fully wound down). Worth noting that the ventilation check is an advisory, not mandatory, on a private boat's BSS. We keep ours wound down except in summer, to avoid to much loss of warm air from the cabin.

Put solar panels over them all that electricity and no water when my panels are flat still a 6" gap

If we had installed our solar panels over the top of the mushroom vents, we'd have not been able to do half the trips we've done, due to headroom issues.

If we had installed our solar panels over the top of the mushroom vents, we'd have not been able to do half the trips we've done, due to headroom issues.

That's interesting, I am pretty sure I have covered most of the system so where would I not be able to go? The only one place I had a problem Was the Droitwich

One of mine was driving me crazy I couldn't establish where/how the rain was getting in. Eventually I discovered it was seeping in where one of the securing screws was not quite tight enough so maybe check yours. I hate mushroom vents.

AFAIK they can be wound down fully and still offer enough ventilation for winter time, so long as they've been properly specified. The BSS test, in theory, should check the ventilation requirement and it will assume the minimum fixed ventilation (fully wound down). Worth noting that the ventilation check is an advisory, not mandatory, on a private boat's BSS. We keep ours wound down except in summer, to avoid to much loss of warm air from the cabin.

In many cases mushroom vents CAN be wound down far enough so as not to meet the ventilation requirements which of course depends on appliances installed in the boat and the number of pob. The BSS requirement, (Advisory for private boats) is that adequate FIXED ventilation be sufficient. If a ventilator can be shut by hand it does not count at all in the ventilation calculations. However, if a tool is required to adjust the ventilator it is OK (in private boats) In mushrooms this is usually achieved by using an extra lock nut on the mushroom stem, but there are other ways.

I have never actually seen a mushroom dripping rainwater as described but have heard of it happening. Depends I suppose on the size and height of the dome, as well as the gap between dome and shoulder and of course the velocity of the rain

Simple mod if you can get the T handle unscrewed is to unscrew the threaded stem and put a small spacer made of copper pipe between the underside of the vent and the bracket the stem screws through to stop it completely closing , screw it back in and put the T handle back . I've done mine like that and it won't shut totally. Done for BSC when I finally had to get one.

One of mine was driving me crazy I couldn't establish where/how the rain was getting in. Eventually I discovered it was seeping in where one of the securing screws was not quite tight enough so maybe check yours. I hate mushroom vents.

Likewise. Never again!

Chuck the coolie hat in the bin! If used while the stove is lit it will cause tar on your roof and down the cabin sides where the roof drains. Fumes from the chimney will condense on its underside and drip onto the roof.

You could keep it just for when the stove is unlit I suppose!

i have solar panels on top of my roof box's that are 9" high, never had a problem with headroom issue's. where have you been that would have caused issue's?

That's interesting, I am pretty sure I have covered most of the system so where would I not be able to go? The only one place I had a problem Was the Droitwich

i have solar panels on top of my roof box's that are 9" high, never had a problem with headroom issue's. where have you been that would have caused issue's?

Droitwich canal M5 tunnel

Caldon Canal (a couple of low ones)

Stratford Canal, coming into Bancroft basin.

There is a thread a while ago where I posted comparative pics with all the "low" bridges I could think of that we'd done (the above 3 and another which I can't remember) to illustrate the slight differences between each, I can't remember the thread though but could probably find the pictures again, to identify the lowest out of them all.

There is a thread a while ago where I posted comparative pics with all the "low" bridges I could think of that we'd done (the above 3 and another which I can't remember) to illustrate the slight differences between each, I can't remember the thread though but could probably find the pictures again, to identify the lowest out of them all.

as long as the bridges are 6 foot we can get under them.

Droitwich Canal I agree Stratford Canal I was ok and Caldon Canal I have not done Edited by cotswoldsman

Found it:

I couldn't upload the pics last night, but now I've managed it on my slow connection: Same boat, different (low) bridges. I've also been under "new bridge" on the Weaver which is also quite low, but this is swingable (in working hours).

Droitwich headroom sign:

droitwichheadroomsignDSC_7319reduced_zps

Droitwich tunnel itself:

droitwichDSC_7323reduced_zpsd9a096e2.jpg

Bridge at Red Bull (T&M):

redbullTandMDSC_1394reduced_zps6549b080.

Stratford canal 1:

stratfordcanal1DSC_9758reduced_zps93870e

Stratford canal 2:

stratfordcanal2DSC_9765reduced_zps733492

Caldon Canal:

caldoncanalDSC_1737reduced_zps9e01b1f0.j

from this thread: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70270&hl=%2Blow+%2Bbridges#entry1402193