MCS water tank gauge electricity consumption

Featured Posts

Mine was so small..it didn't register on anything...

It was on all the time and there was no appreciable loss of power. I wouldn't bother with a switch.

It's based on the LM741 op-amp whos power dispation is 500Mw..but in the water level situation it doesn't consume anywhere near that as it just constantly drives a meter.

I did 'meter' it once..it showed 60Mw but then my meter was inaccurate at that level. That was with a full tank..but the power drops off as the tank gets lower.

Edited by Bobbybass

60 megawatts, that must have really caned the batteries smile.png

Millipedes !!

I 'recall' that it had a single LM741...as I once blew it out.

This was on the Thames..where there was a 'provided hose'. The hose was large diameter and made a seal around the filling point. As such...when I turned on the tap...the pressure was such that it blew the 'chip'. I fitted an IC holder so I could insert another if it did it again..and bought some extra LM741's on Ebay (about 20p each ).....but never had to do that..as I learned my lesson !

Mine was so small..it didn't register on anything...

It was on all the time and there was no appreciable loss of power. I wouldn't bother with a switch.

It's based on the LM741 op-amp whos power dispation is 500Mw..but in the water level situation it doesn't consume anywhere near that as it just constantly drives a meter.

I did 'meter' it once..it showed 60Mw but then my meter was inaccurate at that level. That was with a full tank..but the power drops off as the tank gets lower.

I am maybe having an electronic geek moment here but I suspect the 500mW is the maximum dissipation allowed before it blows up, not what it uses in normal service. I think its quiescent current is a couple of milliamps. The sensor and other components may use a bit too.

If the op really wants to save power then cleaning the tops of the batteries very day may be a better bet than switching off the water meter!!!!

..............Dave

Just put the meter on the supply to mine: 10.8mA at a scale reading of 4/10 tank, same at 0/10. 14.25V supply voltage (engine was running!)

This might not seem like loads to you lot, but I have only a 95mA alternator. Joke. No really, it is on the rat's exercise wheel.

I did leave a needle gauge switched on for the starter battery once and it didn't start up with the usual gusto. I think it was down to 12.4 when I spotted it.

This might not seem like loads to you lot, but I have only a 95mA alternator. Joke. No really, it is on the rat's exercise wheel.

I did leave a needle gauge switched on for the starter battery once and it didn't start up with the usual gusto. I think it was down to 12.4 when I spotted it.

But what else did that switch you left on feed.