Blacking your hull - an alternative to the usual coatings.

Featured Posts

Hello,

Did anyone who responded to this thread who were blacking their hull in the Spring or later try the B and Q paint suggested? Is jet washing the old bitumen paint all that's needed? Did you paint over any old bitumen that wouldn't come off?

Mine's going in for blacking in July and I'm trying to determine if the hull needs sand blasting or not?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

or possibly "I say, who would buy a frozen lobster"

Actually, I'll let you into a bit of information widely known to those who actually work in the food industry.

Several studies have shown that frozen fish is often much fresher than so called "fresh fish".

Hello,

Did anyone who responded to this thread who were blacking their hull in the Spring or later try the B and Q paint suggested? Is jet washing the old bitumen paint all that's needed? Did you paint over any old bitumen that wouldn't come off?

Mine's going in for blacking in July and I'm trying to determine if the hull needs sand blasting or not?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have decided on shotblasting then Zinga cold galvernizing with Zingas own blacking on top should be good for 20 years mine is booked in for July too

Peter

Hi Andrew,

I have decided on shotblasting then Zinga cold galvernizing with Zingas own blacking on top should be good for 20 years mine is booked in for

is that expensive peter?

The Zinga is 15-17 per kilo depending on how much you need I think I need 25 kilos which brings the price into the lower bracket the blacking not heard yet the blasting at the moment is 2.1K but hoping to get it reduced for cash. So yes it is expensive but it is good and lasts a long time

Peter

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

I used Rylard Premium Protection in June. 10l gave me 2 full coats, plus 3 further coats about a foot above and below the waterline. 45ft boat. Seems like quite a tough rubbery finish. £30 per 5l.

Electric wire brushing seemed the best means of preparing the surface, after a 2 hour high powered jet wash. Definitely didn't need sandblasting.

Edited by Richard10002

Hello,

Thank you for your replies and advice. Very informative, and helpful.

The Zinga looks an excellent product, out of my price range all told.

I will probably go with the Rylard Rytex for ease and speed of application, with up to three years coverage...

Well the bill for all the zinga products I needed was 734 squids Ok I am a widebeam so more stuff is required however I wont take the boat out for 5 years and fully expect just to powerwash it and one coat of the blacking so its cheaper in the long run fingers crossed

Peter