Boat servicing and storage in London?

Featured Posts

First post here, and I'm hoping to get some recommendations for somewhere I can take my boat to have a long list of work done and also have it stored safely while I'm working overseas. It's a 1970's era 45' narrowboat that I bought this summer with a plan to do it over and live on it full time. Right now the boat is in Uxbridge with some engine trouble that means it won't start, so it'll likely have to be towed wherever it goes. Closer to Uxbridge would be convenient, but I'm most interested in finding somewhere I can trust to do the work well and keep my boat safe while I'm away.

Here's a list of the work I'd like to get done, I'd love to hear recommendations for good places contact:

- Get the engine running (suspect it's a timing issue...)

- Move throttle column and replace existing throttle

- Install new gas water heater

- Install new LPG refrigerator

- Replace existing water tank with new, larger tank

- Install new leisure batteries and new battery box

- Dry dock and black the hull, inspecting for whether overplating might be needed

- Exterior scrape, prime and paint

Thanks for the help,

- Pam

Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone have experience with High Line Yachting on the Slough Arm near-ish to Bull's Bridge?

I've not really heard much bad about them, but compared to all the other places mentioned on this thread i think you'll find High Line more expensive. It is also no closer to Bulls Bridge than UBC i shouldn't think.

Thank you for the suggestions. Does anyone have experience with High Line Yachting on the Slough Arm near-ish to Bull's Bridge?

Highline have 2 sites, or possibly 3?

Iver on the slough arm, where I Think we have one or two members, Northholt on the paddington arm near Bulls bridge and I think they have a presence by packet boat marina near Uxbridge?

Another possibility is Denham Marina or for works you could try Denham Lock they can do most things but not sure about moorings..

Thanks again - I've sent emails to both High Line and Harefield and am hoping for some useful responses when everyone is back from the holidays. As for Uxbridge Boat Centre - do they do works? I'd heard that they're mostly chandlery and DIY space now, though perhaps I've been mislead.

If I was more reliably in the area, I'd happily call the mechanic mentioned, but as I'm in and out of town I think I need a one-stop-shop where I can simply leave the boat for all the work that's needed.

I think Denham Marina don't have the servicing I need, and the lads and Denham Lock seem to be swamped these days (not literally!).

Thanks again - I've sent emails to both High Line and Harefield and am hoping for some useful responses when everyone is back from the holidays. As for Uxbridge Boat Centre - do they do works? I'd heard that they're mostly chandlery and DIY space now, though perhaps I've been mislead.

If I was more reliably in the area, I'd happily call the mechanic mentioned, but as I'm in and out of town I think I need a one-stop-shop where I can simply leave the boat for all the work that's needed.

I think Denham Marina don't have the servicing I need, and the lads and Denham Lock seem to be swamped these days (not literally!).

UBC certainly did last time I was there about a year ago.

Not cheap, but tend to do things right first time or not at all. Hard to put a value on that in my view, but quite high...

MtB

I had a very promising response from High Line, who may even go look at the boat in my absence in order to quote more accurately. Still waiting to hear from Uxbridge and Harefield, which I hope will happen when everyone is back at work next week.

My boat is moored at High Line on the Slough Arm and the mechanics are pretty good from what I had heard (only used them once). They have a workshop in Cowley next to the Packet Boat marina where they do paining/repairs etc.