Is it a fuel problem ?

afright

Featured Posts

Hi just wonder if some one could help with my problem ,I have mentioned this before about my engine reving up when under way,now to day started it up and after a while it has done it again but now cuts out,trying to start it again after about 5 or 6 times it starts but revs up then stops would this be bad fuel the reason I am thinking this is because the other week we filled the tank up with red diesel from a small old garage that we use, and as they do not sell a lot of red diesel could it be contaminated ?.

We are going to pump out the fuel tank and drain and clean the filters and put fresh diesel in to see if this is the cause,if anybody could help with any info we would be truly grateful,many thanks.

Edited by afright

Hi just wonder if some one could help with my problem ,I have mentioned this before about my engine reving up when under way,now to day started it up and after a while it has done it again but now cuts out,trying to start it again after about 5 or 6 times it starts but revs up then stops would this be bad fuel the reason I am thinking this is because the other week we filled the tank up with red diesel from a small old garage that we use, and as they do not sell a lot of red diesel could it be contaminated ?.

We are going to pump out the fuel tank and drain and clean the filters and put fresh diesel in to see if this is the cause,if anybody could help with any info we would be truly grateful,many thanks.

I'd rig up another temporary fuel supply, like a gallon can hung above the engine with fresh white fuel in it connected with a length of flexible tube to gravity feed the engine to see if it runs ok . If it does then see to the filters or the fuel in the main tank.

Sorry yes its a BMC 1500 ,all filters have been renewed last summer we have had the engine replaced in july and have had no problem until our last refuel.the fuel tank only holds 30 ltr as we change from the old tank and replaced with a smaller plastic tank as we do not do manys hours.We have also bled the engine.

Edited by afright

Do as Richard and others say but be aware that the injector pump has a better than the lift pump transfer pump inside t so if any filters , water traps, or even the pick up pipe in the tank are blocked it could easily create a vacuum between the blockage and the transfer pump. I suspect this could suck air through all sorts of places.

Make sure the small hole in the side of the hexagon banjo bolt on the top of the fuel filter is not bocked.

When did you l;ast change the fuel filter? I have had the same problem with our BMC 1.5 twice, and in both instances it was because I had let too much time pass between fuel filter changes, replacing it cured the problem both times. i now make sure i change it every 400 hours to prevent a re-occurence.

If your filters keep clogging up and you think you have dirty fuel in the tank don't keep running the engine. Like I said rig up a jury tank and get some fresh white diesel from a garage and run the engine up on that to make sure it runs properly. If not do what the others have said, check the fuel line connections back to the tank for leaks and sucking in air. There is also a filter and sediment compartment under the dome of the lift pump which might be clogged up too.

If your filters keep clogging up and you think you have dirty fuel in the tank don't keep running the engine. Like I said rig up a jury tank and get some fresh white diesel from a garage and run the engine up on that to make sure it runs properly. If not do what the others have said, check the fuel line connections back to the tank for leaks and sucking in air. There is also a filter and sediment compartment under the dome of the lift pump which might be clogged up too.

That's precisely what I had to do when struck down with the dreaded diesel bug. Not only did I have to clean out the tank, but it took ages before clean diesel had worked it's way through so that the BMC 1.8 would run smoothly again.