K&A conditions Newbury to Thames

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm currently in Newbury and planning to head East once lock 88 is reopened on Saturday.

Anyone know what the current conditions are like at Woolhampton lock and county lock as I know they can be a bit tricky after rain.

Thanks

Just make sure you are close to the right bank as you approach County Lock. last time we came down you couldnt see the lock mooring due to bushes growing at the end

I was repairing a boiler today in a flat overlooking County Lock.

The river looked a bit lively but nothing that couldn't handled easily with with a bit of care, consideration and and respect.

MtB

Thanks Mike,

sounds like it should be ok especially as there is no heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

Hi,

I'm currently in Newbury and planning to head East once lock 88 is reopened on Saturday.

Anyone know what the current conditions are like at Woolhampton lock and county lock as I know they can be a bit tricky after rain.

Thanks

Can't help you there but fair play this time of year...respect..

Just make sure you are close to the right bank as you approach County Lock. last time we came down you couldnt see the lock mooring due to bushes growing at the end

The lock mooring is under the bridge, 100yds before the lock.

USE it. Don't be tempted to try to moor closer to the lock or you'll get sucked onto the weir. Guess how I no this!

MtB

Thanks for the tip Brian,

I've only done it once before and I think I tied up under the bridge to open the lock and kept the bow tucked well against the bank as I came around the curve. Not an easy lock to enter on a strong flow.

Thanks for the tip Brian,

I've only done it once before and I think I tied up under the bridge to open the lock and kept the bow tucked well against the bank as I came around the curve. Not an easy lock to enter on a strong flow.

Despite this being a lock with only 12" fall, it is easily the most treacherous lock I've ever encountered on the system, anywhere.

Best treated with utmost respect, in either direction. A completely different set of equally stressful hazards await boaters coming upstream.

MtB

There is a big bush thing at the end of the lock landing. This not only hides the landing but also makes for a slightly steeper turn in with the possibility of then getting the flow pushing the back out. If there is a strong flow it just might be safer to reverse in, but then we do reverse very well. Watch out for the turn to approach the arched bridge at the bottom of the Oracle, the flow can push the back towards the arch surprisingly hard.

...........Dave

There is a big bush thing at the end of the lock landing. This not only hides the landing but also makes for a slightly steeper turn in with the possibility of then getting the flow pushing the back out. If there is a strong flow it just might be safer to reverse in, but then we do reverse very well. Watch out for the turn to approach the arched bridge at the bottom of the Oracle, the flow can push the back towards the arch surprisingly hard.

...........Dave

I did report the bush to CaRT, they had had a boat on the weir just a short time before, they obviously dont see it as a priority

The lock mooring is under the bridge, 100yds before the lock.

USE it. Don't be tempted to try to moor closer to the lock or you'll get sucked onto the weir. Guess how I no this!

MtB

it's not only stopping, I got accosted by a security guard there (as a pedestrian) who told me that I wasn't alowed to take photos of my boat going through from the shopping centre land!

Tim

it's not only stopping, I got accosted by a security guard there (as a pedestrian) who told me that I wasn't alowed to take photos of my boat going through from the shopping centre land!

Tim

What happened there? My video got changed!

Try again..

Edited by bassplayer

Tim

I think the shopping center has a policy on photographs and they seem to have all the property right up to the canal bank, no tow path.

Just another note of caution when going downstream through the one way system. Just after the plaza/shopping area is a right hand bend with a low bridge (Stonebridge?) Keep hard over to the right as the current will want to set you left and the arch of the bridge is very shallow. We did it last spring and just managed not to hit the parapet but a boat ahead of us didn't and got a nasty scrape along the roof edge.

Many thanks for all the helpful tips - local knowledge is always useful. Lock 88 was opened early so I've made it to Aldermaston today. Woolhampton was running a bit quicker than normal but not too bad so safely through the bridge. Weather looks good so I'll aim to get through Reading tomorrow.

I've only gone through Woolhampton once, going upstream while the river was in spate. Nightmare! Is it as difficult going downstream?

It's possibly easier going downstream. I got pushed well over towards the opposite bank but you have around 50 yds to get lined up for the swing bridge. Going upstream the flow from the left is very close to the lock entrance making it tricky to get in. Even if you get the bows into the lock entrance the flow can still push the back across - I bounced the stern off the wall on the way up.

The hardest part I found today was slowing down to moor after the bridge - full astern and I nearly overshot.

Drain the lock, open the gates, get someone to open the bridge and then make sure its open (you can't see it). Make like Jeremy Clarkson and go full chat past the river entrance staying over to the right as much as you can. After that its OK, you can slow down but remember you need some boat speed to steer. Once past the bridge you can moor up - using a stern line. If you can't stop about a quarter of a mile further on is a bridge with concrete edges where you can stop as the flow will have decreases and your crew can jump on.

On another note, be careful going down stream towards Reading. There are some left hand bends that you really need to take on the left to avoid being set onto the right hand side. Which means being on the wrong side of a blind bend!! Its Ok with care but you need to think ahead.

Edited by larryjc

Drain the lock, open the gates, get someone to lift the bridge and then make sure its open (you can't see it). Make like Jeremy Clarkson and go full chat past the river entrance staying over to the right as much as you can. After that its OK, you can slow down but remember you need some boat speed to steer. Once past the bridge you can moor up - using a stern line. If you can't stop about a quarter of a mile further on is a bridge with concrete edges where you can stop as the flow will have decreases and your crew can jump on.

He hasn't got a crew, its all up to him.

And safely onto the Thames - which is on yellow boards of course. The flow above county lock wasn't a fast I expected so entrance to the lock was straight forward. Steady flow through Reading but not a problem so long as you take care to take the arched bridges on the inside of the bend to allow for the stern to be pushed a little wide.

Thanks again for all the useful advice and especially the kind lady member (I'm sorry but I've forgotten your name blush.png) who moors at Aldermaston and took the time to walk up and find me this morning to pass on her advice.