12 Volt Printer/Scanner

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody!

I'm looking at getting a printer/scanner to run alongside my Mac Book Pro.

I can purchase a standard HP for Mac printer and run it using my 1500W inverter.

However, has anybody tried running a 12 volt printer, and if so, how successful was it.

I believe there are some 12 volt printers on the market that come with an integral battery.

Thank you :)

I can recommend the Canon printer which is both 240v and has its own built in battery. It's very compact and has a useful battery life. It's not a scanner as well, but we use a Canon USB powered flatbed scanner which is also quite compact. As the name suggests, it is powered via the USB socket.

Ken

I can recommend the Canon printer which is both 240v and has its own built in battery. It's very compact and has a useful battery life. It's not a scanner as well, but we use a Canon USB powered flatbed scanner which is also quite compact. As the name suggests, it is powered via the USB socket.

Ken

Yes I had an early version of one of those, although the ink costs made it only viable for occasional printing. It also had an optional scanner head which replaced the ink cartridge. Supplied PC installation prog allowed control and saving of images.

some printers will have an external power supply device to convert the 240V AC to a certain voltage DC. If you look out for one of these they may not require 12V but I doubt it will be more so a simple conversion device to step it down to what is required would be cheap enough.

If you use it much I suggest an epson. Compatible inks at about a quid on ebay. Like as said they get used little and use very little power as they nearly all run on low voltage motors, use the inverter. My epson uses 240v and a max of 0.2amps and much less on idle. Doesn't bear thinking about.

• 8 years later...