getting pinched in hurleston

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

Rather like a "c" followed by an "l" in fact? I believe, also, that it sounds different in North Walian and South Walian accents. Years ago I had a good friend from the Cardiff suburb of Llandaff North. She and I used to use the Welsh "ll" sound jokingly in English speech, e.g. "Don't by sithly" and "weth weth weth!"

There was, I must admit, an element of intended humour in my post. I am sorry if it failed.

I got the humour it's OK I just thought it may be interesting to know the correct pronunciation.

An English CI combination is more like a soft S sound a Welsh LL needs a "Shl" sound but with a slight lisp is the best I can describe it. If it was as you suggest received would sound like reshlieved which it doesn't. using TH is no equivalent of the LL letter or sound.

So for instance Llangollen can not be phonetically represented as Thangothlen it just doesn't sound right.

It is certainly true that north and South Wales accents and welsh usage differs (some words are different even) but the LL sound is more or less the same. Yns Mon (Anglesey) is different as well.

This happened to us in the late 90's. all round the system with no problems but stuck in no2 lock at hurleston!! The pound above was a little low so topped it up but to no avail. The lockkeeper happened to be passing (those were the days!!). He said I needed to do the opposite!!! I.e lower the pound above as this would get the "fat bit" of the boat the rubbing strip below the pinch point. Lo and behold it worked. Found out subsequently that this was common knowledge among the local users. But none have mentioned it here so far. Wonder if its got lost in the mist of time!!

P.S. apologies !! I seem to have drifted back on topic:-) :-) :-)

If we're going to argue about the pronunciation of LLangollen it's probably best if we keep away from Pontcysyllte then unsure.png

Arf!laugh.png

But even that is OK when you break it up and know the welsh alphabet.

This happened to us in the late 90's. all round the system with no problems but stuck in no2 lock at hurleston!! The pound above was a little low so topped it up but to no avail. The lockkeeper happened to be passing (those were the days!!). He said I needed to do the opposite!!! I.e lower the pound above as this would get the "fat bit" of the boat the rubbing strip below the pinch point. Lo and behold it worked. Found out subsequently that this was common knowledge among the local users. But none have mentioned it here so far. Wonder if its got lost in the mist of time!!

P.S. apologies !! I seem to have drifted back on topic:-) :-) :-)

Yes I have seen that done just a while ago. Our boat seems to fit no matter what thank goodness probably helped by being a bit shorter at 50ft. Just as well as we now moor at Swanley Bridge just a little way from the locks.

In the summer months the locks are manned by knowledgeable volunteers to help manage the queuing and levels in the pounds and help anybody needing it.

There is a boat moored up the Llangollen that has spread slightly with age. It is owned by a guy who has spent most of his working life on the canals and who knew many of the lockies and BW guys around the area.

His method of getting out of the bottom lock at Hurlestone was to let the water out, open the gates and slowly exit until he stuck. Two people would then open the two top paddles as quickly as possible while he applied a few revs in gear. Out he went.

To get back in he would move slowly into the mouth of the lock, again until he stuck and keeping the revs up, in gear, two people would open the top paddles and then close them quickly. The flow of water would run down the lock and rebound from his boat. The boat would then pop into the lock drawn in part by the water.

This all sounds most unlikely but I have seen it done, both ways.