Historic boat identification

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

GUCC plans are available on CD, but they are stated as being a guide only. They have dimensions down to the quarter inch for all cabin features, but as has been found - boatyards built to their own dimensions using their own techniques and practices that near enough met the companies requirements hence variations. When speaking of hull depth of small middle and large boats, I do believe it takes the measurement from the top of the shutts to the top of the gunnel, though I might be wrong.

My friend Alison ( a self confessed old boat anorak) produced this :- https://www.waterways.org.uk/blog/historic_boat_spotting_guide .

HTH, cheers, Brian

That's a very good general guide which I hadn't seen before.

For a pretty comprehensive list of extant historic boats you could have a look at the Historic Narrow Boat Club site here

I just spent a most absorbing 15 minutes reading the feature to which you posted the link, thanks for doing so, and thanks to the lady who compiled it.

I have just realised that I got so engrossed in it that I have missed the beginning of England's innings against Sri Lanka. Excuse me, must dash.

My friend Alison ( a self confessed old boat anorak) produced this :- https://www.waterways.org.uk/blog/historic_boat_spotting_guide .

HTH, cheers, Brian

At a very quick look through, that looks pretty good, though I have not spent long enough there to see if it contains any obvious inaccuracies.

Some pictures of the welded types would make it more complete, and obviously you could start delving into the different types of "Admiral" boats for example, but as a "beginners guide" I guess it is a case of how far do you go.

Well done Alison. (As this is on IWA pages, is thos Alison Smedley, please?).

Incidentally, although only covering where one boat fits into things, I wrote this some time back to explain specifically the origins of one of ours.

What type of boat is "Sickle"

Incidentally, although only covering where one boat fits into things, I wrote this some time back to explain specifically the origins of one of ours.

Very informative it is too. Tell me, when you say that, for example, a Town class boat has sides 4'9" in height, where is this measurement taken, as they do not appear to be the same height all the way along?

Very informative it is too. Tell me, when you say that, for example, a Town class boat has sides 4'9" in height, where is this measurement taken, as they do not appear to be the same height all the way along?

Funnily enough the situation with the depth of hulls on "Grand Union" boats is discussed in Ian M's thread about narrow boat plans reproduced in AutoCAD.

The dimension would be constant for most of the hold lenth, apart from where the sides rise upwards near the front, which will be progressively deeper than the figure stated.

I have never measured a boat of any type to confirm it, but if oiutline plans are to be believed, then the depths of 4' 2" ("small" boats), 4' 6" ("middle" boats) or 4' 9" ("large boats"), include not only the thickness of the bottoms, (which will be several inches, if wooden), but also of the wooden gunwales. I do realise a tape measure may say otherwise, but that's how the plans show it.

At a very quick look through, that looks pretty good, though I have not spent long enough there to see if it contains any obvious inaccuracies.

Some pictures of the welded types would make it more complete, and obviously you could start delving into the different types of "Admiral" boats for example, but as a "beginners guide" I guess it is a case of how far do you go.

Well written and very informative, thanks.

Is there a publication or online resource which shows the distinguishing features of the different types of historic narrowboat?

I publish this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-IDENTIFICATION-NEW-NARROW-CANAL-BOAT-DVD-/350272222989?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item518dd9f70d

I'm sure there are a few statements in the article that some enthusiasts might want to debate or discuss further, such as was Raymond actually "the last wooden narrow boat built", or that " The boats built by Yarwoods and Harland & Woolf were all made of riveted steel, while the Walkers Brothers boats were wooden" doesn't mention composite construction boats. However I think it's an interesting, easy to read & understand introduction to old boat spotting.

Yes, it's written by Alison Smedley, the previous owner of our big Northwich motor Shirley.

I enjoyed reading your page on Sickle.

Cheers, Brian

Why did the Walker Brothers use wood?

To "Make It Easy On Yourself'.

Walkers of Rickmansworth were renowned timber merchants and boat builders. They not only constructed narrow boats but wide beam craft and tugs alongside a small amount of leisure craft.

Walkers of Rickmansworth were renowned timber merchants and boat builders. They not only constructed narrow boats but wide beam craft and tugs alongside a small amount of leisure craft.

...and indeed continued as timber merchants long after they gave up boatbuilding. Though you might have missed the point of Athy's post ;)

Tim