Anyone got under floor heating in the boat?

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

I was pondering this last week. It's a lovely way to heat a space - gives a great feeling of comfort.

It would need to be a wet underfloor system rather than an electric one and I imagine the heat would have to be delivered via a thermal store (essentially a big and very well insulated hot water tank with heat exchanger to transfer the stored heat to the fluid you pump around the underfloor system).

I wonder if the pump needed to pass the water through an extensive network of narrow bore pipes would have to be quite hefty though? Might make it a bit of a drain on the batteries.

D

I have underfloor heating in my bathroom driven off my bubble stove using a central heating pump that also feeds 3 rads and my hot water..Lovely n toasty under foot, do have a small rad in there too!!
I have underfloor heating in my bathroom driven off my bubble stove using a central heating pump that also feeds 3 rads and my hot water..Lovely n toasty under foot, do have a small rad in there too!!

Do you have two boats?

What sort of flooring do you have above the underfloor heating, in the bathroom?

Its a wetroom setup built on ceramic tiles with the shower sunk an inch or so below the bathroom floor with the heating from the stove being dissipaited thro the floor..Obviously the shower part aint heated!!

photo_zps957e72a9.jpg

My feet get cold sometimes but I find slippers and putting my feet up so they are off the floor helps loads.

I have been thinking of fitting a fan (computer size) near the ceiling to force warm air down to the floor

You can do a lot with a computer fan,on our previous boat the bathroom was on the other side of the bulkhead in the saloon and I fitted a fan at ceiling height which drew pretty hot air in to make the room really toasty, there was a vent at the bottom of the bathroom door and you could feel the heat coming out.

Phil

We are thinking about underfloor heating, but I have been put off it by the thought that you are effectively paying half of your money to heat the canal.

In order to get a really good and effective layer of insulation between the source of the heat and the bottom plate, floor levels would need to be raised therefore losing cabin height.

I am willing to be convinced otherwise, if anyone knows better...

My feet are freezing, the boats nice and warm though is it something you can retrofit?

I'm adding UFH to my boat, you can lay the pipes in polystyrene with spreader plates that a floating floor can directly be layed on top. Minimum thickness for the UFH I've seen is 25mm.

We found that we inadvertently had underfloor heating at the weekend. One of the heater ducting pipes had fallen off the back of the vent thus pumping lovely warm air into the bilges rather then into the cockpit rolleyes.gif

We are not sure how long it had been like that but the cockpit was a whole lot warmer on Sunday evening after we had put it back on again.