Holland

blackrose

Featured Posts

The boat I bought in the Netherlands in february has a seperate tank for the heating with petroleum (kerosine) of which the previous owner said that this was allowed by the customs as you wouldn't / couldn't run an engine on this without doing damage to it in the short or longer run.

The heater is a drip-feed diesel-heater that burns very well on kerosine after some minor adjustments to the carburettor.

Peter.

If anyone knows of a way of getting heating oil in the Netherlands, we would be very glad to hear about it!

Hello Anne, I think that it will be very difficult to find a supplier that is able to sell you legally heating oil, as this is the red stuff which has become an illegal product to have on board any non commercial boat, and it's not likely that they are going to risc a huge fine by satisfying your demand.

I don't know if you've picked-up enough dutch since your stay in the Lowlands, but you can read (or try to) this with gives you all the unpleasant information.

http://download.belastingdienst.nl/douane/docs/nieuwsbrief_rode_diesel_acc1121z1fd.pdf

Good luck with it, and have a nice winter,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

To renew your cevni

Just ring them up, give then the number, your old membership number, or previous cert no, and they will send out form, or print it on line, me they sent me one by email, you need to do this because you need a new photo

Send it back to them and they will send you a new one for you.

There's no charge if your a member

If you membership has lapsed, then just renew there and then paying for it over the phone.

They are really helpful, and switched on

All the best

Col

I presume you're talking about the ICC here - just as well I read this as I discovered mine has recently lapsed so I'm grateful for the info as well..

Camping Gaz is quite readily available, we have a couple of bottles for emergencies but it is dear, the local 'Calor' size bottles are much cheaper per kg but we can't squeeze them in the gas locker.

I have only seen Camping Gaz in blue bottles which, I assume are butane. If that is the case then it might not be suitable. It gets pretty nippy in Amsterdam and the lower vapour pressure of butane might not allow the gas to boil off in cold weather.

N

You need look at the Euromapping waterways map, currently being revised, which shows the lack of a link at Brest, on the Polish border to be the problem. A hydro dam was built here, and it interrupts navigation from the Bug to the Don, but there are plans for the link to be reinstated. There were other routes from the Baltic, such as the Oginski Canal, but they have not been in use for many years.

You need look at the Euromapping waterways map, currently being revised, which shows the lack of a link at Brest, on the Polish border to be the problem. A hydro dam was built here, and it interrupts navigation from the Bug to the Don, but there are plans for the link to be reinstated. There were other routes from the Baltic, such as the Oginski Canal, but they have not been in use for many years.

Hi Pluto, I think that you posted your message in the wrong subjet, still it's good advise.

Peter.

I use Chrome, it translates pages automatically and usually does a good job.

When I was working, my colleague and I had to work with a Danish company called Stirling Denmark (SDK).

My colleague repeatedly called it Sterling in written correspondence, and was eventually admonished by a lady manager at SDK.

He wrote a letter of apology to her and used Chrome to change it into Danish.

Later we went to Denmark, where the lady said she didn't understand his letter of apology.

My colleague said that he had written that he was sorry for the misspelling and that in future he would try harder.

She laughed and said that it had been translated to saying sorry and that in future he would try to be more difficult!