Legal Expenses Cover has anybody ever used it

SiFi

Featured Posts

I have always refused Legal Expenses cover on both boat and motor comprehensive insurance. If there is a good case chances are the insurance company will fund a legal action. If I had third party only Insurance I might consider legal expenses cover.

If such insurance covers the cost of cases like Tony Dunkley's I would pay for it!

Alan

Wish I had it when I spent 20k trying to get child access

That's quite a bill for a child access case, although some complex cases will probably be more costly, e.g. if there's another country involved. Myself I spent about 3k first time around and wasn't too happy with my solicitor's efforts, then four years later I represented myself and got a very good result, although it must be said my case had become stronger by then. It only cost me about 40 hours or so of time, mostly spent reading a law book from the library, plus a filing fee which I think might have been £40.

I'm a big fan of DIY law; the lawyers will tell you it's a terrible risk to take, but they would say that, wouldn't they?

Tony is a christian name. Still a proper noun and rules of grammar say proper nouns are written with a capital initial letter.

MtB

I commented on the spelling of the Surname the reply was that Tony was correct hence the fact I said neither are surnames.

One of my sisters used the legal cover on her motor insurance once after an accident. They really looked after her.

I always refuse to pay extra things so whenever they say do you want this bit I say no just basic insurance so if I hit someone or something I'm insured.

Surely Tony is a shortened version of the Christian name Anthony?

Several thing occur to me about this topic's terrific Tony Tangent...

Tony is indeed a shortened version of Anthony, which I wouldn't regard as a Christian name because it's of earlier Roman origin.

I'm thinking here of the famous Mark Antony (83 BC - 30 BC). But he isn't evidence of its use as a surname, because like many Spanish and Portuguese footballers (e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo) he's known by his first names. Wikipedia says:

His father and namesake was Marcus Antonius Creticus

Finally, even though I'm not a believer, my name Peter, originating from the Bible, is still a Christian name whether I like it or not.

I have legal cover on my home insurance policy, and that isn't just limited to home claims (would also cover claims for car, or financial disputes etc.) - is the boat insurance similar?

You may already have legal insurance on another policy.

Back on topic, legal cover on a home insurance policy will indeed cover various matters not related to the house, but mine just lists 8 groups of "insured incidents", which only really seem to cover me for some of the risks which might arise from boat ownership. Under "Contract disputes" it covers "buying, hiring or selling goods or services", but excludes "any claim relating to a motor vehicle owned by or hired or leased to you". I don't think "motor vehicle" in law includes boats, so this section does appear to cover a dispute over purchase, repair or sale of a boat, but not any accident which might happen on the water.

However under "Bodily injury or illness" I think my expenses might be covered if someone injured me, whether on a canal or elsewhere, but definitely not if I caused injury or other damage e.g. by driving a boat.