Nav lights

Proper Job

Featured Posts

As an aside to the 'tunnel light' topic.

A query on Nav lights.

Carinya has two Nav lights on port and starboard. A pair of red and green at the front of the cabin and an additional set of red and green just in front of the engine room.

I know it probably doesn't really matter, but this must be in contravention of the collision regs(?) as it would be showing two red and two green.

I can't understand why there have been two sets fitted

Are they on separate circuits or can you turn both sets at the same time?

I have no idea. Never used them

Actually - I've only owned the boat for two days ;)

Something else to investigate

Most nav lights on narrowboats contravene col regs.

They are just a token gesture at best.

We must be gesturing twice as much as most then ;)

We must be gesturing twice as much as most then wink.png

he he

Must admit that I wouldn't fancy taking a Narrow Boat on waters where you need Navigation lights at a time when you would have to put them on. Fills me with a bit of dread!

he he

Must admit that I wouldn't fancy taking a Narrow Boat on waters where you need Navigation lights at a time when you would have to put them on. Fills me with a bit of dread!

Fairly sure you would be fine on the Aire and Calder at night wink.png

he he

I agree completely with that. On the odd occasions I've met narrowboats in the dark in the Trent the sidelights and sternlight were utterly pointless and we only saw them from a way off because they had got their headlights on . . . . which very effectively buggers up your night vision to the extent that it's then impossible to be sure that there isn't another one behind them without his headlight on.

he he

So we wont see you in any tunnels or when travelling at night, why buy the boat?

Fairly sure you would be fine on the Aire and Calder at night wink.png

Yes, IIRC I think the nav lights you see fitted to many narrowboats comply with the old BW regs, they would also cover you for the Trent, the Weaver etc.

On a canal all you need is a single white light at the bow.

In EA waters I guess you would have to fully comply with the Colregs?

Most nav lights on narrowboats contravene col regs.

They are just a token gesture at best.

Even ones that supposedly comply with the requirements of the RCD. If I remember correctly navigation Lights are not required to be fitted to comply with the RCD but if they are fitted then they should comply with the Col regs.

So we wont see you in any tunnels or when travelling at night, why buy the boat?

Come on Laurence, I am sure Barnet didn't have nav light for going through tunnel or travelling at night.

Yes, IIRC I think the nav lights you see fitted to many narrowboats comply with the old BW regs, they would also cover you for the Trent, the Weaver etc.

Any idea where I can find a copy of those regs. Even so if FITTED to a new boat they should comply with the Col regs.

You miss my point Mr Hogg! On the Canals you DONT need full nav lights (head lamp only) so you will quite happily see me in the Tunnels and maybe even the odd bit of after dark navigation. Point I was making that the water where you legally have to have the full set of nav lights I wouldn't want to be traveling at night on those waters...on a canal boat. Navigation during the day in a suitable prepared boat is fine but night is whole different matter.

As a related aside I saw a cyclist this morning dressed all in black with no front light (he did have a rear light on), only saw him as he was illuminated by the car driving behind him but if I had been waiting to pull out at a junction I may not have seen him at all!

You miss my point Mr Hogg! On the Canals you DONT need full nav lights (head lamp only) so you will quite happily see me in the Tunnels and maybe even the odd bit of after dark navigation. Point I was making that the water where you legally have to have the full set of nav lights I wouldn't want to be traveling at night on those waters...on a canal boat. Navigation during the day in a suitable prepared boat is fine but night is whole different matter.

As a related aside I saw a cyclist this morning dressed all in black with no front light (he did have a rear light on), only saw him as he was illuminated by the car driving behind him but if I had been waiting to pull out at a junction I may not have seen him at all!

Depends which ones you are on that!

"(5) On the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and
Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and
South Yorkshire Navigation (below Doncaster) a power-driven
vessel shall in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraphs (1),
(2), (3) and (4) as the case may be of this Bye-law display:-
(a) On the starboard side a visible green light so constructed as
to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points
of the compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right
ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the starboard side
(B) On the port side a visible red light so constructed as to show
an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points of the
compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right ahead
to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the port side."

well I was slightly paraphrasing wink.png ...mainly as I get paid to drive boats at night when I am on my hols boat.gif I am more than happy to be moored up when it gets dark ninja.gif

yes....the only excuse for travelling in the dark on the canals is if you have not got close enough to a pub yet. ninja.gif

• Greenie 1

It is not too hard to find side and stern lights that comply with the regs for a full length narrowboat, but the steaming light is a different matter altogether. Meeting the height requirement is almost impossible.

Not sure about this. I might be wrong but don't the regs step up at notch at 20m which makes suitable side lights a bit more difficult on a full length boat.

I believe ours do comply and they are big jobbies that get in the way a bit when I walk down the gunnel, also mounted at the engine room rather than the front. I do agree about the steaming light.

.........Dave

Rubbish , have you not ever boated through the night.

travelling through the night together with going out in rough seas unless someone is paying you is strictly for the birds!!!

In my book pleasure boating should be pleasurable icecream.gif

travelling through the night together with going out in rough seas unless someone is paying you is strictly for the birds!!!

In my book pleasure boating should be pleasurable icecream.gif

Actually late evening and early morning cruising are some of the best times to cruise.

We cruised down the coast from Grimsby to Wells leaving Grimsby at 3.30am, about a half hour later the sun started to appear over the horizon, simply magical experience.