Tiling on Bulkheads etc

Big COL

Featured Posts

Question

Is it better to seal the wood before tiling or not? In my experience I have found it better not to seal the wood before tiling. In the cases where the wood had been sealed prior to tiling, the tiles became loose and in some instances actually fell off. Using exactly the same system on unsealed wood the problem has not occurred. As some of you guys are now into the build stage of your boats I wondered what preparation you were intending to use prior to tiling.

Question

Is it better to seal the wood before tiling or not? In my experience I have found it better not to seal the wood before tiling. In the cases where the wood had been sealed prior to tiling, the tiles became loose and in some instances actually fell off. Using exactly the same system on unsealed wood the problem has not occurred. As some of you guys are now into the build stage of your boats I wondered what preparation you were intending to use prior to tiling.

None for me. Planning just to tile straight onto WBP ply for the back of the shower cubicle. Will probably use a full bed of tile adhisive just to be on the safe side.

On the new boat the bulkheads are made from exterior ply (stud wall) and tiles are fixed with gripfill, no pre preparation.

On the last boat, as the ply was not "exterior" I mixed some fine sand with polyurethane (I wish this site has a spell checker) and gave the areas a coat beforehand. It was like sandpaper when dry and seemed to give the tile cement something to key to. Nothing ever fell off!!

We used tiles on the last boat and one or two cracked in the bathroom/shower area.

On the new boat, heron have ditched using tiles and put a black marble effect laminate on the walls, which looks superb. It comes in big rolls, maybe 8foot long and about 4 foot high, and you cut it to size and glue it on the wood. You can get it in a variety of colours etc.

Just an idea for you <_<

I'm not planning to use tiles. I have used "mermaid Panels" in the past in domestic circumstances and intend to use the same on the boat. I've used the dark blue metallic finish and it really is very striking. the following URL explains what I'm rambling on about.

http://www.norske-int.co.uk/pages/a_frame.html?=page1.html

Bill

I believe the old school thought was to use floor cork tile adhesive to fix tiles to ply sheets. Maintains flexibility while have good grab and adhesion.

Maybe modern tile cements are more up to it.

Still leaves the problem of the grouting coming out though.

Hi Bill

I priced those panels up with 2 local stockists and there are three sizes 8' X 2', 8'X 3' and 8'X 4' in each size there are three price bands i went for mid price,

the cheapest was £98 for 8x2 and the dearest was £240. to do the 6'6'' bathroom it would take 10 of the 8x2 ones meaning £1000 for the cheapest ones and £2400 for the dearest as i said i went mid way at £1700 then you need the special sealer @£23 a tube and all the finishing trims.

When I tiled our bathroo, 3 years ago, I used cork tile adhesive. You need to put a layer on the bulkhead and allow it to dry (overnight), then apply adhesive to the tiles and put them in position. Make sure the boat is well ventilated - the adhesive stinks!

I used a waterproof grout and a silicone sealant for the corners and edges.

3 years later and the tiles are still up with no cracking.

I think I've mentioned before that you can now get a flexible wall tile adhesive, although most tile retailers will have to order it in. I think it cost me around £25 for a large tub. I tiled onto aqua-board panels (Wickes) that I'd screwed directly onto the bulkheads. Touch wood, had no problems yet!

Hi Bill

I priced those panels up with 2 local stockists and there are three sizes 8' X 2', 8'X 3' and 8'X 4' in each size there are  three price bands i went for mid price,

the cheapest was £98 for 8x2 and the dearest was £240. to do the 6'6'' bathroom it would take 10 of the 8x2 ones meaning £1000 for the cheapest ones and £2400 for the dearest as i said i went mid way at £1700 then you need the special sealer @£23 a tube and all the finishing trims.

Sorry Richard I misunderstood. I thought you were just doing a shower/bath enclosure, not the whole room floor to ceiling. I think I'd be looking at tiling with those prices. Hope you like grouting <_<

When I tiled my floor (with electric underfloor heating) I was told to use flexible tile adhesive, to account for thermal expansion etc.

I was then informed of the price (ouch) - but was then told not to bother with it - just add some PVA glue to normal tile adhesive, and bingo - you've got flexible adhesive/grout.

I can't remember the exact quantity to add, but it amounted to about a cupful in a big tub of grout.

• 5 months later...
Some of you are advocating using silicon to stick tiles to walls, do you use a full covering or just a few blobs and how thick do you use it?

25163[/snapback]

Five good blobs-one in each corner and one in the middle. Couldnt tell you how thick, but when I made a mistake and had to lever one off later, it had just about covered entire area.

Edited by stan hesketh