Another down in a lock

Dinz

Featured Posts

Somebody would nick the Heras panels , they're handy things . Orange netting isn't worth the bother but the metal pig tails supporting them are.

Before you all start screaming I have no Heras panels and the couple of pigtails I have were thrown over our fence with two road cones and no return address . More use than the bags of dog shit we've had on occasions. No return address on them either mores the pity.

Walked past the strickened 'Langton' Anglo Welsh boat today. A couple of things struck me thought wise. All the full cans of a brand of lager that there were there a week ago have now magically vanished. Secondly, now that the lock has been drained, a 13 kg of propane in the gas locker has also disappeared. (The hire boat company would not have let the boat go out without a full set of gas bottles, imo). The vultures seem to be circuling. Very dangerous to go into a boat in that condition.

CaRT have put up 1 metre high orange flexable fencing. Today the world and his/her wife & kids were walking around it to take photos. Nice day for a walk but very dangerous. Suggest that they put up 'Heras' style fencing like they do on building sites to keep people away and safe.

Does anyone know why it's still there a week after it sank, because getting a boat up that's above a short pound couldn't be easier and takes no more than an hour or two.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Walked past the strickened 'Langton' Anglo Welsh boat today. A couple of things struck me thought wise. All the full cans of a brand of lager that there were there a week ago have now magically vanished. Secondly, now that the lock has been drained, a 13 kg of propane in the gas locker has also disappeared. (The hire boat company would not have let the boat go out without a full set of gas bottles, imo). The vultures seem to be circuling. Very dangerous to go into a boat in that condition.

CaRT have put up 1 metre high orange flexable fencing. Today the world and his/her wife & kids were walking around it to take photos. Nice day for a walk but very dangerous. Suggest that they put up 'Heras' style fencing like they do on building sites to keep people away and safe.

Are you serious? Getting onto the boat is clearly not safe (never mind whether the boat is stable or not, the act of reaching it from the lock wall would present a hazard) but what is "very dangerous" about standing on the edge of the lock taking pictures that isn't also "very dangerous" about doing it when the lock is in use?

I had a walk past today too as I'm moored on the river in Bath having come down the flight only a few hours before this one sank. CRT put up the plastic fencing on Monday but I've seen no activity on site since. As you say there were a few folk having a look but I wouldn't say it's any more dangerous than an empty lock.

I'm surprised it's not been re-floated yet. I know the river is closed a few miles downstream due to winter works on lock 4 but I would think the owners would want it back in the base for repairs. Of course the repairs may me quite extensive as the lock was refilled completely submerging the boat but that shouldn't delay recovery.

No one steals Heras fencing as there is no value in them. The guys from CaRT I spoke to had a plan but they had to wait for 'head office' before anything was decided. Nothing to date has been decided. Maybe there should be an action plan for such sad events. Now we are a week down the road. If the M5 was blocked it would be cleared in hours. The K & A was the M5 in its day from London to Bristol. Its not rocket science to get the boat removed; really it is not. There are alot of boaters who wan't to move and can not. No doubt there will be a disaster like there was in the spring when the Alvechurch boat was cilled but was still floating and safeable. It was eventually sunk while being retrieved. (verifiable).

The skegg and the rudder are completely bent and it is well and truely wedged. A solution could be to put an air bag in the front of the boat and bags on the outside. Refill lock and drag out. There are a number of options to lift whats left out. Best option maybe is to put a (big) crane at Bath Deep Lock and do the lift.

No one steals Heras fencing as there is no value in them. The guys from CaRT I spoke to had a plan but they had to wait for 'head office' before anything was decided. Nothing to date has been decided. Maybe there should be an action plan for such sad events. Now we are a week down the road. If the M5 was blocked it would be cleared in hours. The K & A was the M5 in its day from London to Bristol. Its not rocket science to get the boat removed; really it is not. There are alot of boaters who wan't to move and can not. No doubt there will be a disaster like there was in the spring when the Alvechurch boat was cilled but was still floating and safeable. It was eventually sunk while being retrieved. (verifiable).

The skegg and the rudder are completely bent and it is well and truely wedged. A solution could be to put an air bag in the front of the boat and bags on the outside. Refill lock and drag out. There are a number of options to lift whats left out. Best option maybe is to put a (big) crane at Bath Deep Lock and do the lift.

There's no need for cranes, air bags or anything else like that. All that needs to be done is first to drain the pound below, pump out the small quantity of water left in the boat, seal up doors, windows, vents etc. at the forard end and then fill the lock / pound back up. It's no more than an hour or two's work.

There's no need for cranes, air bags or anything else like that. All that needs to be done is first to drain the pound below, pump out the small quantity of water left in the boat, seal up doors, windows, vents etc. at the forard end and then fill the lock / pound back up. It's no more than an hour or two's work.

It's still there???

Perhaps Cart have given up on keeping Bath locks serviceable even earlier than I thought. I thought it would have two more years, before there will be a major infrastructure fail, closing the flight pretty much permanent.

It's still there???

Perhaps Cart have given up on keeping Bath locks serviceable even earlier than I thought. I thought it would have two more years, before there will be a major infrastructure fail, closing the flight pretty much permanent.

To be fair to C&RT though, there is a positive aspect to this for them, if it's still there in six days from now they'll be able to put a Patrol Notice on it for overstaying.

• Greenie 1

Quite a difference to the Wyvern boat sunk in Kegworth Deep Lock, refloated and back cruising withing 36 hours with the Hire Base owner James Griffin on site to supervise.

I had a training day for a new boating couple rudely stopped after a lock gate was lifted off its groundings on the Buckby flight a couple of months ago.

After 6 hours delay for us and many boaters, we finally continued, and passed the culprits boat in Braunston, proudly displaying their 60 feet of beer along the top rail.

20140927_191242_zps5qyctluy.jpg

Both rails were full when they passed me at 2pm next afternoon.

Gotta get the boat out and away. A lift is the only option from where ever it is done. Get it out of the lock and open out the navigation, but what do you do with the wreck? Needs to be removed one way or the other.

Gotta get the boat out and away. A lift is the only option from where ever it is done. Get it out of the lock and open out the navigation, but what do you do with the wreck? Needs to be removed one way or the other.

That's complete nonsense. It isn't a 'wreck' it's just a boat that's sunk. Granted, the engine won't be runnable without some work on it first, but the boat can simply be towed away for repairs once its afloat. I agree that the navigation needs to reopened, but that's the responsibility of C&RT and they're once again making a very good show of demonstrating that they're not up to the job . . . not by a very long way.

That's complete nonsense. It isn't a 'wreck' it's just a boat that's sunk. Granted, the engine won't be runnable without some work on it first, but the boat can simply be towed away for repairs once its afloat. I agree that the navigation needs to reopened, but that's the responsibility of C&RT and they're once again making a very good show of demonstrating that they're not up to the job . . . not by a very long way.

actually Tony, CRT are only responsible for getting the navigation open again, timescale doesn't come into it, unless some commercial carrier claims compensation.

There may be some dispute over who will pay for it (hirer, Hire company etc) - especially if CRT have not been compensated for previous events in the same area by the same hire company).

I wouldn't want my licence fee to be wasted on repeated non paid CRT invoices.

Edited by matty40s

actually Tony, CRT are only responsible for getting the navigation open again, timescale doesn't come into it, unless some commercial carrier claims compensation.

There may be some dispute over who will pay for it (hirer, Hire company etc) - especially if CRT have not been compensated for previous events in the same area by the same hire company).

I wouldn't want my licence fee to be wasted on repeated non paid CRT invoices.

I don't agree, timescale very much comes into it for any boaters now being prevented from using the navigation because C&RT can't be bothered to shift a boat that's sunk and blocked it. I don't think any of the people affected by this will be very happy about a proportion of their licence fees going to waste while they can't use what they've paid for.

If, in fact, there are any previous invoices for incidents such as this outstanding, then C&RT should be seeking to recover the debts by the appropriate means, ie. County Court claim . . . not abdicating their responsibilities at their customers expense.

PS. It is, I think, apposite to note that C&RT do have statutory powers at their disposal enabling them to remove vessels that are "sunk, stranded or abandoned" in their waters, this one would seem to fit all three. The same bit of legislation also provides for instant removal of vessels causing an obstruction without even the need for prior notice ( Section 8(5) of the 1983 BW Act). There is no provision in the legislation for the recovery of the cost of removal in those circumstances, but after refloating and moving the boat C&RT would be in a position to bill the owners for the cost.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Are you serious? Getting onto the boat is clearly not safe (never mind whether the boat is stable or not, the act of reaching it from the lock wall would present a hazard) but what is "very dangerous" about standing on the edge of the lock taking pictures that isn't also "very dangerous" about doing it when the lock is in use?

Thank You for that bit of light shining through

If nobody nicks Heras panels how come they fetch up in urban canals. I've seen them on the scrappies truck too. Vandals will vandalise just about anything if they're feeling that way out.

Heras panels make a good frame for a fruit cage , net over in the fruit season and remove nets after harvest to allow birds access to eat soil pests etc.

Any dumped on my land will be found a good use.

Although the thread has moved on a bit.... it strikes me that the best place for the sill warning sign is on the boat in front of the steerer. I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the Canal Boat Club boats (the ugly blue ones with no front door) from Market Harborough have just such a warning sign.

Although the thread has moved on a bit.... it strikes me that the best place for the sill warning sign is on the boat in front of the steerer. I can't be 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the Canal Boat Club boats (the ugly blue ones with no front door) from Market Harborough have just such a warning sign.

I think you are correct thinking about it, at least some did/have, some also had a yellow curved line painted on the engine cover/deck boards marking the arc of the tiller.

Tony, it is a wreck. Engine (Canal line) would be hydolocked. Mikuni gas central heating all sing and danceing electronic thing, wrecked. Flooring and floor coverings, wrecked. Paneling on the walls, wrecked. 12 volt system wireing knackered so wrecked. 240 volt system ditto. Victron inverter likewise. Soft furnishings, fridge, cooker etc as well. Think its a bit of a wreck. And the macerator toilets. And the insulation. Fridge & cooker etc.

On one of my previous posts mentioned that it appeared that a 13kg bottle was missing from the 3 that should have been there. Having seen some previously taken photos (Bath Chronicle) all 3 were there at the time of sinking. One or more has been removed. Very dangerous given the circumstances. Ingress of water may have occured into the gas system (via the pig tail/s) so that is no doubt wrecked as well. It should be of note perhaps that the powers that be did not remove the gas cylinders as a safety measure. Before anyone comes back with the usual Elfinsaftey discussion, it should perhaps be noted how the gas pipes and safety cut offs/valves are/could be situated on that boat. The gas tanks should have been removed for safety reasons all round.

Which leaves us with the steel shell. Won't mention the builder here, but imo its one of the worst bit of steel fabrication I have seen. Its a wreck.

At the time of writing the boat is still a sad site wedged in the lock. There seems little or no will from CaRT to resolve this sorry situation. Would they have done so in the high season? Who knows. Last boat that went down in the Widcombe flight was gone in a week. That was in late spring of this year as the cruising season was getting going.

Tony, it is a wreck. Engine (Canal line) would be hydolocked. Mikuni gas central heating all sing and danceing electronic thing, wrecked. Flooring and floor coverings, wrecked. Paneling on the walls, wrecked. 12 volt system wireing knackered so wrecked. 240 volt system ditto. Victron inverter likewise. Soft furnishings, fridge, cooker etc as well. Think its a bit of a wreck. And the macerator toilets. And the insulation. Fridge & cooker etc.

On one of my previous posts mentioned that it appeared that a 13kg bottle was missing from the 3 that should have been there. Having seen some previously taken photos (Bath Chronicle) all 3 were there at the time of sinking. One or more has been removed. Very dangerous given the circumstances. Ingress of water may have occured into the gas system (via the pig tail/s) so that is no doubt wrecked as well. It should be of note perhaps that the powers that be did not remove the gas cylinders as a safety measure. Before anyone comes back with the usual Elfinsaftey discussion, it should perhaps be noted how the gas pipes and safety cut offs/valves are/could be situated on that boat. The gas tanks should have been removed for safety reasons all round.

Which leaves us with the steel shell. Won't mention the builder here, but imo its one of the worst bit of steel fabrication I have seen. Its a wreck.

At the time of writing the boat is still a sad site wedged in the lock. There seems little or no will from CaRT to resolve this sorry situation. Would they have done so in the high season? Who knows. Last boat that went down in the Widcombe flight was gone in a week. That was in late spring of this year as the cruising season was getting going.

So you recon it's a wreck then.

:)

the one that went down in Spring I saw it the day it was returned to the yard at Hilperton. Even though it had only had a brief submergence rather than the prolonged one of this poor craft, the lads at the yard said it was a right off and only good for scrap. That was also a 'sponsored' boat rather than owned outright by the Hire company.

I cant believe that navigation hasn't been restored yet!!

You said " A lift is the only option from where ever it is done. ", that is simply not true, the inside of the boat may be "wrecked" and need replacing, but the boat will still float and doesn't need to be lifted.