Bradshaws

nebulae

Featured Posts

My copy of Bradshaws Canals and Navigable Rivers is a David and Charles reprint 1969 edition.In the section on the Staffs and Worcester,the maximum size of vessels is given as "Length 72ft ,Width 6ft 9in.Draught 4ft ,Headroom8ft 8in.(Page 368). Bradshaws is not noted for errors,is this genuinely the max size the company was prepared to guarantee passage.Anybody any ideas about this?

i always think the staffs and worcs is tight,some of the deep locks are deceptive.

I did see an old boat last winter struggle to fit into the lock at Deptmore Lock, and it is a canal I would not be comfortable using fenders in any locks(some boats I move have low level fenders impossible to remove, so I just have to lift them onto the gunnels....and hope they stay there).

Yep, 6 foot 9 was the maximum the company were prepared to guarantee passage for: in practice, very few vessels would navigate that the canal company were not familiar with so there was no one standing around with a yardstick. Boats generally used a limited set of routes and seldom left them.

Whilst all narrowboats historically were "about" the same size, there was no absolute standard. Shropshire Union Boats were all a tad on the narrow side, the fly boats particularly so, Grand Union Canal narrow boats were on the large side.

Doesn't mean wider boats won't fit though

In the late 60's early 70's Compton lock was always a problem for my Josher Motor, but the Little Woolwich butty I never had problems with, & I could pass Hurleston locks with no problem with either boat. I think it was all down to where the boat & lock bulges did or didn't line up.

Edited by X Alan W