Someone to help move my boat.

roscoe

Featured Posts

Evening all,house sold found our narrowboat after alot of hard searching just need some one to help me move the boat in early jan( i know its a bit way off ) from hinkley to nottingham,need someone to show me the ropes and gain some experience working the boat,will be paid for the trip and a lift given back to hinkley, many thanks for the replys.

This is a trip of 74 miles, 1¼ furlongs and 35 locks from Hinckley Wharf Arm Junction to Nottingham Castle Marina.

From Hinckley Wharf Arm Junction travel southwest on the Ashby Canal (Main Line) for 7 miles, 4½ furlongs to Marston Junction, then travel northwest on the Coventry Canal (Main Line - Hawkesbury to Fazeley) for 22 miles, 2¾ furlongs and 13 locks to Fazeley Junction, then travel northwest on the Birmingham Canal Navigations (Birmingham and Fazeley Canal - along route of Coventry Canal) for 1 mile, 4 furlongs to Whittington Brook, then travel northwest on the Coventry Canal (Detached Portion) for 5 miles, ½ furlongs and 5 locks to Fradley Junction, then travel northeast on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Burton to Fradley) for 10 miles, 4¾ furlongs and 6 locks to Horninglow Basin, then travel east on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Derwent Mouth to Burton) for 16 miles and 7 locks to Derwent Mouth, then travel northeast on the River Trent (Western End) for 10 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 4 locks to Beeston Lock No 4, then travel northeast on the River Trent (Beeston Canal) for 2¼ furlongs to Lenton Chain, then travel northeast on the River Trent (Nottingham Canal) for a few yards to Nottingham Castle Marina.

Totals

Total distance is 74 miles, 1¼ furlongs and 35 locks. There are at least 2 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open and 14 small aqueducts or underbridges.

This is made up of 45 miles, 5¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 21 miles, 3¼ furlongs of broad canals; 7 miles, ¼ furlongs of small rivers; 24 narrow locks; 11 broad locks.

This will take 34 hours, 15 minutes which is 4 days, 6 hours and 15 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 5 days.

Now that's a christening by fire for a first trip! I'll check for stoppages if you know the date you are collecting on.

Lee.

Edited by Black Country Lee

The Trent can be "unreliable" - we were 'flooded in' at Sawley for 11 days at the end of October (last year), they opened the river up for (I think) a few hours, we escaped, and it was then closed again vitually continuously until after Christmas.

If there is anway that you can - I would suggest getting it now, or waiting until March/April time. Trying to get it home may turn out to be several weeks living on board, or tying it up somewhere, going home, and then going back to the boat whenever you can, or floods allow,

That's a punishing schedule for that time of year, even if there's no ice!

I don't expect the chap would want to knock his new boat about breaking ice, so that's a bit academic anyway. Agreed, 3 days wouldn't be much like holidaymaking but I don't think that's what he wants, is it, particularly if he's paying somebody to go with him on a daily rate.

The Trent can be "unreliable" - we were 'flooded in' at Sawley for 11 days at the end of October (last year), they opened the river up for (I think) a few hours, we escaped, and it was then closed again vitually continuously until after Christmas.

If there is anway that you can - I would suggest getting it now, or waiting until March/April time. Trying to get it home may turn out to be several weeks living on board, or tying it up somewhere, going home, and then going back to the boat whenever you can, or floods allow,

Last year was a bit unusual though, it's generally more likely for those flood gates in Cranfleet Cut to be 'on' for long spells from February to early Spring.

You'd be well on the way to having your Licence revoked if you were hanging about in Mr Garners area like that.

Equally, I'll be impressed if a newbie single-hander can make the trip in your suggested three days (or anything even close) in the shortest days of mid winter!

MtB

(Edit to correct a spilling error.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

It's a 3 day job, allowing for working locks a bit slower than normal for the first day while you're new to it. How much are you offering to pay?

Yes, a bit optimistic in the middle of winter whilst 'guiding' a new boater through the dos and don'ts of canal etiquette....

...hmmm, although done the TD way....

Paddles left up, gates open and flat out passed moored boats!!

Ah, that's the way to do it :D

Equally, I'll be impressed if a newbie single-hander can make the trip in your suggested three days (or anything even close) in the shortest days of mid winter!

MtB

(Edit to correct a spilling error.)

So would I, but 3 days is what it would take with me helping him . . . that's why I asked how much he wanted to pay.