Launching Joamarjayne

old what

Featured Posts

Big week this week Joamarjayne will be launched on Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m. still fitting out, but boat yard has introduced surcharge for hard standing on top of mooring fees so it will be cheaper to have her in the marina hope we've got the ballast right, hope the builder's welding is watertight hope she floats. Very excited and very nervous. Wish me well

David.

Big week this week Joamarjayne will be launched on Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m. still fitting out, but boat yard has introduced surcharge for hard standing on top of mooring fees so it will be cheaper to have her in the marina hope we've got the ballast right, hope the builder's welding is watertight hope she floats. Very excited and very nervous. Wish me well

David.

I'm sure it will be......good luck.

All the best David. God bless all who sail in her! Hope all goes well.

Are you going to be live-aboards, or is she for weekends and holidays?

Janet

PS. Lesd wasn't joking about the photo's. We really do like to see them!

Very fun time.

- And do take lots of photos. We only have about 10 of emilyannes launch day, which is that many considering. I know it was all film/money back then, but with digital now and everything, you really can just take them for free. Its hard because your busy DOING stuff, but yeah... waffle...

Im sure she will be fine!

- Emilyanne had two very small leaks when she went it. One just along the side/baseplate seam. And one right at the very front, where all threeplates and the steam and everything came together, almost... My grandad got the welder to come over, and by starting the weld on solid steel, geting it good and hot (oxy ace, not mig) he was able to run the weld over the hole while it was in the water!!

Just make sure they dont drop her!

Daniel

Very fun time.

- And do take lots of photos. We only have about 10 of emilyannes launch day, which is that many considering. I know it was all film/money back then, but with digital now and everything, you really can just take them for free. Its hard because your busy DOING stuff, but yeah... waffle...

Im sure she will be fine!

- Emilyanne had two very small leaks when she went it. One just along the side/baseplate seam. And one right at the very front, where all threeplates and the steam and everything came together, almost... My grandad got the welder to come over, and by starting the weld on solid steel, geting it good and hot (oxy ace, not mig) he was able to run the weld over the hole while it was in the water!!

Just make sure they dont drop her!

Daniel

I heard they fill new hulls with water these days to check for leaks before they're launched... Or was I just being wound up?

I heard they fill new hulls with water these days to check for leaks before they're launched... Or was I just being wound up?

I've seen that done.

I've also seen it done with Paraffin which finds smaller holes more easily. Be interesting if someone dropped a cigarette end!

Big day came-- and went - Joamarjayne is now launched. We're in the water fantastic feeling, everything went really well, I was initially concerned that the ballast would be wrong and I would be frantically running about shifting Staffordshire blues all-day but she sat in the water perfectly. The bad news; the bowthruster gearbox has not seated properly and the inspection hold is full of water, oh well that can be sorted out another day. One thing is sure I shall wait until I'm on a canal where I can beach the bow before I attempt to do anything, I'm not paying GBP300 for a lift out and GBP300 to be returned to the water in the near future, at least I hope I'm not! Some pictures of the boat been launched :lol:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...um&album=67

Congratulations! Looks good - I didn't realise you were a fellow wide-ass. What are her dimensions?

Who's the builder? Is the bow-thruster electric or hydraulic - is the unit its own watertight locker? Isn't it up to the builder to get it out the water for repair at their expense?

Also is that thinsulate insuation I can see in the pics?

Mike

Edited by blackrose

Very pleased for you. Good set of photos. Haven't you got a big one!

Hi Blackrose

dimensions are 58' x 10' 3 inches shell; was built by Price Fellows of Shrewsbury; bowthruster is non-existent at this stage I couldn't afford it, have just fitted propeller and gearbox will will be electric when I've recovered from the cost of the build, if I ever do. Yes the units is in a watertight locker. I know the builder will not be responsible as I took delivery of a bare shell - I am responsible for everything - more's the pity. Yes that is Thinsualate insulation you can see, I have yet to cast judgment on the insulation but I'm not sure it is going to be as favourable as the 3M's Rep (at Crick show last year) suggested it would be. I have noticed even before heating the boat that there are strips of condensation appearing on the outer shell in line with the steel ribs

The other thing I have noticed about Thinsulate is that unless it is stuck perfectly flat to the skin of the boat condensation appears behind it.

Anyway you know what they say you've made your bed so lie it?

Glad you liked the pics.

David

Stupid me think I've drank too much champagne today I've added wrong Quote

• 6 years later...

Hi my boat was stretched a couple of years ago I was worried when it went in but all was well. However I cannot say the same of the thinsulate which makes up two thirds of the boat it is on the shell and the reverse of the wall coverings it is not a patch on the new section which is spray foam. Also when the boat was stripped out prior to stretching it a lot of rust was discovered behind the thinsolite where it was stripped out ( it was primed ) and only a couple of years old. This was what made me decide on spray foam for the new section. Sorry if this isnt what you want to hear.

PS it is a widebeam they are so comfy

Peter

Leicester0031_zps3ed24b2e.jpg

Not a new idea. I did this when I was rebottoming our boat twenty five years ago.