For those who bought a widebeam - regrets? or still happy?

kazbluesky

Featured Posts

I've been looking at a few widebeam boats on apolloduck and I must say some do look lovely inside. I understand about these big ones not being able to go where the narrowboats can, but to those who own them and live on them, what do you think? Does it really hold you back or diminish the enjoyment of living on the water?

I've been looking at a few widebeam boats on apolloduck and I must say some do look lovely inside. I understand about these big ones not being able to go where the narrowboats can, but to those who own them and live on them, what do you think? Does it really hold you back or diminish the enjoyment of living on the water?

Wide beams are good for space and living on, but although I am tall I would not want to lose the flexibility of cruising routes and destinations. I like Birmingham, Llangollen the Caldon etc.etc

We where 10 years in a 13ft 6inc by 62ft barge first on the northern waterways from York to Foxton, Shefield and Hull to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston. Lifted out at Liverpool, dropped in at Worcester. Then up to Stratford, down to Avonmouth, over the Kennet and Avon, up the Thames, then down to Bishop Stortford and back up the Grand Union. Yes there are narrow cannals but the wide cannals have them beaten into a cocked hat. You benefit from a much more comfortable lifestyle. We had a narrow fibleglass cruiser first and a narrow boat after but the wide boat was by far the best.

We where 10 years in a 13ft 6inc by 62ft barge first on the northern waterways from York to Foxton, Shefield and Hull to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston. Lifted out at Liverpool, dropped in at Worcester. Then up to Stratford, down to Avonmouth, over the Kennet and Avon, up the Thames, then down to Bishop Stortford and back up the Grand Union. Yes there are narrow cannals but the wide cannals have them beaten into a cocked hat. You benefit from a much more comfortable lifestyle. We had a narrow fibleglass cruiser first and a narrow boat after but the wide boat was by far the best.

That's bigger than my bungalow

Started on a narrowboat, then moved onto a widebeam. Love the extra width space...makes a real difference when living aboard permanently. I envy those with 14ft wide boats:) I also envy narrowboats with old engines/engine rooms.......you cant beat them....;-)

If I was a single boater....a narrowboat would do me nicely...40ft. ..but with the family on board...widebeam is the mimimum.

We've only been on ours (57ft x 10.10) since last February, so just 8 months.

I Love it!

It's big enough that we can have our own space without tripping over each other. Put it this way; it's large enough that I can re-arrange the loose furniture layout without having to do an interior re-fit. It's actually bigger than an apartment we had in Bath when we were first married.

When we were looking, it started out with narrow boats, then we went to see our first widebeam and we were both hooked. Loads of people live quite happily on narrow boats. For us, it wouldn't work, we are on the boat 24/7, and although hubby is my best friend, I would have more than likely killed him by now if we were doing this on a skinny boat.

As for feeling restricted about where we can go...well by the time we get back up to the Midlands this winter we will have done over 600 miles since the end of July. And haven't stopped off to explore 1/16 of all the places we've passed by. I don't feel restricted at all

Down sides:

- you have to open and close all four gates on every lock, and if there is only the two of you it can make for some pretty long days if your trying to get somewhere by a certain time/date

- No way could we ever do 4 mph on the K&A or GU without doing a fair bit of damage to the banks, moving around the system in a WB is certainly not for someone in a hurry. Our normal top speed is about 2.5 mph and under 1 when passing moored boats

- And of course everything costs more.....insurance, moorings, lift outs, paint, some pump-outs, EA license etc etc

- Having to put up with the odd: obnoxious, flat capped, bearded, self righteous, grey haired, obtuse, plumb in mouth, miserable ol' git who will shout at you that you have no right to "have that thing on my bit of the canal" ... I think these ones just need a hug really though

- And of course everything costs more.....insurance, moorings, lift outs, paint, some pump-outs, EA license etc etc

An EA license costs more because they charge by deck area, but if you stuck to CRT waters (and bought EA visitor license for the Thames) you only pay for length.

Absolute bargain for a widebeam to pay the same CRT license fee as a narrowboat, length for length!

MtB

- Having to put up with the odd: obnoxious, flat capped, bearded, self righteous, grey haired, obtuse, plumb in mouth, miserable ol' git who will shout at you that you have no right to "have that thing on my bit of the canal" ... I think these ones just need a hug really though

I didn't know we had met?...although I never wear a flat cap...I prefer a wide brim!

Cheers

Gareth

An EA license costs more because they charge by deck area, but if you stuck to CRT waters (and bought EA visitor license for the Thames) you only pay for length.

Absolute bargain for a widebeam to pay the same CRT license fee as a narrowboat, length for length!

MtB

The EA waters I'm on charge only by length but the BA do charge by area.

Phil

I didn't know we had met?...although I never wear a flat cap...I prefer a wide brim!

Cheers

Gareth

I can't see you getting cake anytime soon.

Phil

1 narrowboat down the Rochdale 11 = 22 lock gates

2 narrowboats down the Rochdale 11 (sharing) = 11 lock gates each.

widebeam = 44 lock gates. No sharing allowed smile.png

So you are using twice as much water as two narrow boats too!! Bargain

So you are using twice as much water as two narrow boats too!! Bargain

yes, but on my last trip on the L&L the bottom of my widebeam dredged the entire canal 10ft wide all the way there and back, allowing 2 narrowboats to be able to pass each other, which was impossible beforehand. ;-)

• Greenie 1

Ahem.

A lock cycle uses the same amount of water no matter how many boats are in it or what size they are.

Let the 1000 post argument about this commence...

:)

MtB

The EA waters I'm on charge only by length but the BA do charge by area.
Phil

So, to get this straight, widebeams take up almostg twice as much space on the canal but pay the same license money as a narrowboat, everywhere except on the Thames and the Broads.

Yes?

MtB

Ahem.

A lock cycle uses the same amount of water no matter how many boats are in it or what size they are.

I could be pickky and say different amount of water, but water drops and raises by the same amount in the up and lower pounds for whatever size they are. :D

I could be pickky and say different amount of water, but water drops and raises by the same amount in the up and lower pounds for whatever size they are. biggrin.png

In which case you'd be wrong.

The amount of water 'used' in a lock transit depends on the volume added or removed to get that rise or fall, which is the same regardless of any boats in the lock.

MtB

view from issMike the Boilerman" post="1421589" timestamp="1413800151"]Ahem.

:)

MtB

Oh no. Not that argument again. I'm not going to comment, it's all been said before!

In which case you'd be wrong.

The amount of water 'used' in a lock transit depends on the volume added or removed to get that rise or fall, which is the same regardless of any boats in the lock.

Are you sure? I thought it's due to that boats displace the same amount as water is that the water levels are the same if the lock had no boats or full of boats, but the actual amount of used water was different, but didn't matter as it's the water levels that count.

Edit, rethink, ya right. It uses the same amount of water to go from one level to another. Feel a bit of dummy now. :)

Edited by Robbo

That'll be me this morning, following the Dutch Barge down Wilton. Some hints, guys. If you spend less time worrying about if you're going to make it to Blisworth in time for your tunnel slot, and more time doing stuff, you stand a better chance of getting there. Also, you really don't need a rope when going down in a wide-beam, but if you insist on using one, don't hang your boat up with it, and if you do, that's the time the bank crew really does have to move fast. Anyway thanks for the drained pound above the bottom lock, the wait while the CRT volunteer lockie ran water down for that means we probably won't catch up and get stuck behind you for an hour or so.

MP.

ETA. At least it was pretty. (Ok, very pretty) and not a fat narrowboat.

Edited by MoominPapa