Anti Frost Heater

cuthound

Featured Posts

I am considering using a thermostatically controlled heater on Delta Queen, to protect against frost.

The boat is a 60 foot trad stern.

Would one 500 watt heater be enough, or would two be better?

I am thinking of using these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-MPH500-Electric-Heater/dp/B0002DE4AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409485791&sr=8-1&keywords=dimplex+coldwatcher#cm_cr_dpwidget

Thanks in advance for the help;

Alan

It depends how cold it gets during the winter. I leave mine with two 650-watt heaters and they are fine on my 67ft boat but on a couple of occasions when it has been really really cold they have only just coped. I think a single 500w heater would struggle.

I'll add that mine are fan heaters, to spread the heat throughout the boat (one at each end) because otherwise it is difficult for the heat to travel the necessary distance. Also as well as having thermostats and overheat cut-outs, they also have micro-switches in the base that turn them off if they fall over (eg if someone runs into the boat).

The ones you link to look as if their elements are designed to get very hot indeed. If not using a fan heater I'd go for oil-filled ones which are safer.

I suppose many will be getting fed up with my reply.

Please double check your insurance policy. One member reported that their insurer (I do have the name) at the time said they would not pay out on any claims arising from the heater unless its was specified as suitable for marine use. This clause seems the exception rather than the rule but bets not hand your insurance company a get out of jail free card!

I would never leave a fan heater running unattended, I have seen my own burn out before my eyes and as soon as they click off it's cold again within seconds, I leave an oil filled rad set low on my boat all winter and have done for the four years I've owned it,it's still the same heater and two fan heaters have burned out in the same time even though I only used them when I was on board

Oil heaters are the most reliable (IMHO) CPC do some for a reasonable price (their site is down at the mo:).

It's impractical to heat the whole boat, so I position two in areas where frost damage might occur - engine room and calorofier.

We leave a 600 watt oil filled rad on in our cabin all winter. We also leave a small tube heater in the shower room and a large tube heater in the engine bay.

Our boat is 25ft long and last winter the temperature in the cabin didnt drop below 10 degrees.

They don't cost a lot to run so we would rather have too many than not enough!

Thanks guys 'n gals,

I have rechecked my insurance documentation, and not found any "marine heater" clauses, and so have ordered two 700 watt oil filled radiators from CPC.

Edited to change"instance" to "insurance". Bluddy auto correct!

Edited by cuthound

I'd suggest that you don't trust the thermostat that is fitted to the heaters unless you have some way of testing them.

In the first winter that I had my boat, the 'leccy bill ran to £80.00 or so, mostly for frost protection, and this in a relatively mild winter.

I fitted some digital thermostats, set to 3 deg C when the boat was unoccupied, and the bill next year was nearer to £10.00.

I'd suggest that you don't trust the thermostat that is fitted to the heaters unless you have some way of testing them.

In the first winter that I had my boat, the 'leccy bill ran to £80.00 or so, mostly for frost protection, and this in a relatively mild winter.

I fitted some digital thermostats, set to 3 deg C when the boat was unoccupied, and the bill next year was nearer to £10.00.

We had those during the really harsh winter about four or five years back now.

The one in the engine bay froze off leaving our raw water coolers in the engine bay unprotected for the best part of a week. Luckily when we spotted this and thawed them out the next weekend nothing had suffered other than the domestic water pump, a cheap fix.

Since then we have left our heaters on 24/7 during the winter. Better safe than sorry.

Our winter electric bill is usually in the region of £28-£42, which is 3 x £14 electric cards. A damn site cheaper than a new set of raw water coolers from Volvo Penta.