Exploring Winsford Flash

frangar

Featured Posts

Today for the first time we went under the road bridge and onto Winsford Flash.....with hindsight a Sunday might not have been the best day but I'm sure all the fishermans blood pressure will reduce over time....

I must admit we didn't go far into the flash itself as we were on our own and didn't fancy getting stuck...however we went past a small mooring with a couple of narrowboats and some plastic on it without touching the bottom...there could be some very nice moorings on there for visitors without much stress at all.

Does anyone know if the water space belongs to anyone?....we did toy with the idea of dropping anchor and sitting in the middle for the night but thought that might be pushing our luck...we also heard from one of the lockies that there is going to be a boat rally on it in September which sounded fun.

Anyway I would recommend anyone doing the Weaver not to turn by the pub but be brave and wind on the flash...just take it steady!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add.

Found the details of the rally....shame we didn't know about earlier or we would be attending.

http://www.rwns.co.uk/news/winsford-regatta/

Cheers

Edited by frangar

we did it a few years ago, the fishermen were there then, and not very happy as I recall when we went past. looked like we d run out of river and were cruising into a ditch, but then the flash opened out in front of us...lovely sight...we turned our 58ft around in the middle opposite the moored boats, and then went merrily on our way, back onto the river and upsetting the fishermen, again....

I've only been onto the Bottom Flash ( no rude comments please!) a couple of times. Both times were during a weekend and there were dinghy sailing races in progress. We didn't want to upset their racing so went back to the pub landing stage below the bridge where we encountered the wrath of a couple of anglers.

For anyone who has a bit of time to spare, I can recommend going onto the Bottom Flash during a week day and preferably early morning. Take your time so that you can reverse back if you do run aground.

Just remember it can be very shallow in the middle so don't go straight across. Stay over towards the right, the sailing club side, although of course don't get too close to the edge. You will probably be shouted at by all sorts of people, not just anglers.

Well I'm moored in the Vale Royal cut now and I'll slowely go up to Winsford and try the flash when the sun comes out!

The Red Lion pub isnt bad, we didnt eat there, but the service was fine and some of the meals i did see were handsome.

It is a but it was a bit of a walk from here in the sunshine yesterday, perhaps I'll drop in and grab a pint whilst Mary does to inevitable quick shop on Morrisons!

Nipper

Edited for muppetry!

Edited by nipper

We went up into the bottom flash (furthest away) a few years ago and just drifted around in the middle for an hour or so. Couldn't touch the bottom with a 12ft pole.

However you need to keep well over to the right where the bank comes out as it is shallow there. Go past the caravans and there is a sailing club on the right hand side. Don't go too near to the jetties, and keep away from the far end. I think there were some poles or floating bollards used for dinghy racing - that's probably around the deepest part.

We went up into the bottom flash (furthest away) a few years ago and just drifted around in the middle for an hour or so. Couldn't touch the bottom with a 12ft pole.

However you need to keep well over to the right where the bank comes out as it is shallow there. Go past the caravans and there is a sailing club on the right hand side. Don't go too near to the jetties, and keep away from the far end. I think there were some poles or floating bollards used for dinghy racing - that's probably around the deepest part.

Good to know!

I was thinking that, if they sail dingys in the flash then they have fairly deep centerboards, so I most be able to take a narrowboat slowly into it and if i stop be able to reverse back out again!

Well the sun is coming out, and its over the yard arm so best get going this boat underway!

Nipper

Just after going under the bridge I believe CRT waters end. After here were a number of sunken wrecks, some narrow boats and wider craft. These are probably still there is some form, a Simpson Davies butty used to act as a mooring stage on the Left hand (west) bank.

Good to know!

I was thinking that, if they sail dingys in the flash then they have fairly deep centerboards, so I most be able to take a narrowboat slowly into it and if i stop be able to reverse back out again!

Well the sun is coming out, and its over the yard arm so best get going this boat underway!

Nipper

Lets us know how you get on..!

Well, i got under the two Bridges at Winsford and continued past some moorings on my port bow that had two narrow boats moored alongside..

Just before the moorings, on the same side, is an inlet that has a nice little park alongside it. Some work has been done to the landings in that inlet, but i didn't venture in there as my intention was to get as far as i could into the flash. Maybe this work has been done to cater for those boats arriving soon!

Well, keeping to the right hand side, i got as far as seeing the sailing club and nearly to the point where, just beyond are the mobile homes, that is when i started to churn the mud with the prop!

I then tried to the bow to Starboard, into what looked like a large bay or winding hole, with the aid of the bow thruster, but the bow wouldnt go around, indicating shallows. I then backed out a few yards and turned to my port, again with the help of the thruster, that again was a failure. So i backed out about twenty yards and it was after that i was able to turn!

So, yes you can go further than the books say, but, in my opinion, it really isn't worth it, especially if your 70ft fairly deep drafted overweight boat!

But anyway, I have now been there, perhaps someone else with a shallower draft could try another time?

Nipper

Good to know!

Nipper

Hi

I've sailed an Albacore from the sailing club, they draw about 3ft and no problems, I suspect its pretty deep as a capsized boat needs a fair bit of water (20') and I don't recall seeing many mud stained sails.

Oh dear!

Wildgoose must of gone agound hard for him not to be able to get off.

My rule is, if you think it's shallow, slow right down and creap in.

That way it's fairly easy, if you do go aground, to reverse out the way you went in!

Nipper

Have you asked them what happened?....springers don't draw much.....or maybe we were very lucky!

Cheers

Gareth

If i get a chance tomorrow I'll try a conversation, but, i won't mention it if they don't.

I wouldn't like to embarrass them.

But, I suppose, there is a chance that they are reading this, but i have a hunch that that is unlikely!

About being lucky?

Well, it wasn't my intent to go hard aground, so it was done very slowly, but, i do have a feeling that with a lesser draughted boat a further distance would of been acheaved.

Perhaps as i suspect, they don't read the forum, and just went straight up the middle!

Nipper

I'd imagine the shallower drafted the boat, the more serious it is going aground, since there will be nobody able to rescue you. I bet it doesn't flood (when I say flood, I mean raise in level) often either, meaning you'll be there a while - or at least the boat will be. And its a long swim back to civilisation if the boat remains stuck.

My earlier question wasn't touched upon either - given that CRT clearly say its NOT their navigation (the bridge has clear signs) - who is the navigation authority, and if none, would/could you be 'done' for trespass and/or wreck recovery fees etc?

I think it's a case of "there but for the grace of god go I"!!!

Perhaps they weren't that badly stuck and did mange to reverse off...sometimes reports of things like boats getting stuck are much worse to people on the bank than to those actually on the boat...whereas most experienced boaters just get on with stuff, others including the fire brigade etc seem to go into panic mode!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar