What's happened to Julynian?

George94

Featured Posts

Moderation doesn't have to come into it. People could just be less abrasive.

For clarity, I don't find you offensive.

And over-zealous moderation can have an even greater negative effect.

If you like heavy handed moderation where no dissent or disagreement is allowed then you should try Just Canals as it is far more suited to those who are averse to lively, intelligent debate that, occasionally, becomes robust.

Moderation doesn't have to come into it. People could just be less abrasive.

Moderation DOES come into it, because when members learn that personal abuse is tolerated by the mods, the odd poster here and there feels free to post abuse when s/he gets into an argument on the boards.

Abrasiveness is a different issue from personal abuse, although I agree once a poster starts posting abuse it is generally accompanied by abrasiveness.

MtB

Probably because you haven't had him call you any names, yet !.

I called you a moron because you made a moronic comment.

You are probably right and I should have described your post as moronic rather than yourself so I apologise.

You are not a moron but that particular comment you made was particularly moronic.

Better?

I'm afraid moderation does come into it:

I am frequently dismayed at the inter-member disputes and abuse. I understand that the keyboard allows for more animated discussion, (that the folks may shy away from when face to face) but the frequency of name-calling and abusive language is wholly uneccesary and unproductive.

There are many examples of behaviour fit only for an infant's classroom, and that folks lower themselves to this level is disappointing to say the least.

That the exponents can then let the situation dissolve into an "he said--she said" arguement should be shameful -

though I assume they have no shame.

Interesting to see those of the "robust" persuasion attempting to justify themselves.

But, methinks they do protest too much.

Had they done nothing wrong, there would be nothing to justify.

There is absolutely no reason why a subject cannot be debated passionately without resorting to rudeness, and those who claim otherwise do more damage to the forum than they are prepared to admit.

Interesting to see those of the "robust" persuasion attempting to justify themselves.

But, methinks they do protest too much.

Interesting to see the pot calling the kettle black.

You are frequently criticised for your robust intransigence bordering on rudeness George (take the Pillings thread for example) so I hope you are including yourself in your criticism.

• Greenie 1

I called you a moron because you made a moronic comment.

You are probably right and I should have described your post as moronic rather than yourself so I apologise.

You are not a moron but that particular comment you made was particularly moronic.

Better?

Thank you Carlt, Apology very much Appreciated.

This neatly illustrates the line between posting personal abuse and commenting on the content of the post..

"Your comments are moronic" and "You are a moron" lie one each side of the fine line.

MtB

It is the nearest to an apology anyone (AFAIK) has ever received from Carlt so it needs to be treated as a milestone that the possibility of fallibility has been acknowledged

eta misstype

Edited by John V

I'm afraid moderation does come into it:

I am frequently dismayed at the inter-member disputes and abuse. I understand that the keyboard allows for more animated discussion, (that the folks may shy away from when face to face) but the frequency of name-calling and abusive language is wholly uneccesary and unproductive.

There are many examples of behaviour fit only for an infant's classroom, and that folks lower themselves to this level is disappointing to say the least.

That the exponents can then let the situation dissolve into an "he said--she said" arguement should be shameful -

though I assume they have no shame.

What I found really disappointing lately was the public outing of some bodies 'warn' status along with a comment that a further transgression would lead to a suspension from the forum.

A members warn status has always been something hidden to every body except the mods. and the member themselves unless that member has disclosed it themselves.

Edited by The Dog House

It is the nearest to an apology anyone (AFAIK) has ever received from Carlt so it needs to be treated as a milestone that the possibility of fallibility has been acknowledged

That is utter rubbish and the (AFAIK) merely demonstrates how little you know.

I have never seen you acknowledge that you are wrong and why should you?

Our opinion is never wrong because it is exactly that, an opinion and merely differs from somebody else's.

My debate is based on my opinion and I support those opinions with researched facts.

Yes I believe my opinions are right and why shouldn't I?

Do you start from the premise that your opinions are wrong?

What a strange way to carry out a discussion...no wonder you get all befuddled and have to stoop to petty insults.

What I found really disappointing lately was the public outing of some bodies 'warn' status along with a comment that a further transgression would lead to a suspension from the forum.

A members warn status has always been something hidden to every body except the mods. and the member themselves unless that member has disclosed it themselves.

Agreed

I found it disappointing and somewhat alarming.

I think its perfectly ok for mods to issue a general warning on a thread - but to pick out one individual for public castigation is taking moderation too far

A person who believes their opinions are immutable and cannot concede the possibility they may be wrong and someone else may have the right, then there is only one word I can think of that describes it.

TDH....Bazza2 I agree I have not seen it before, I am wondering if we may receive some clarification ?

A person who believes their opinions are immutable and cannot concede the possibility they may be wrong and someone else may have the right, then there is only one word I can think of that describes it.

and yet I have never seen you acknowledge that your opinion has been changed. You merely resort to petty, off-topic insults and asides when your argument dries up.

Hypocrisy is the only word that I can think of that describes that.

• Greenie 1

Anyone reading the last couple of pages of this thread, will be able to make their own minds up........and I for one am quite content with that

Likewise and I am satisfied that, as always, my posts on this thread and elsewhere are civil and within the rules of the forum.

Your infantile signature isn't, however.

• Greenie 1

considering the signatures that you only removed this morning.....really?

They were direct quotes made by other members of the forum.

One was a compliment and one was a threat of violence neither of which I commented or passed an opinion on.

If you don't want to be quoted don't post comments.

Your signature is a childish dig at a forum member that is all your own pathetic work.

If you can't see the difference then there really is no hope.

Well don't go spitting your coffee out, as I agree with you 100% on this post. I was astonished at grace and favours post on that thread.

That's 4 big fat yes's, your through to the next round.

Would it be helpful to move errant topics to a visible 'Recycle Bin' sub forum instead of locking them?

When they get locked it seems to be a matter of time before the usual protagonists find another topic to continue their petty bickering. sad.png By leaving the topic open at least they have an outlet for their tenancies and hopefully don't need to spoil another topic. mellow.png

In the mean time I've found out how to hide Virtual Pub topics when searching for new content, which will do for me. smile.png I'll look at it maybe once a week from now on, but it doesn't give a favourable impression of the forum.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete