Porthole 'fan' covers

john4647

Featured Posts

Hello,no they were like a foldable fan, in plastic I think. Designed to replace curtains.

I know what you mean - there are links to ebay and gumtree using "porthole fan blind" and there are images. But nothing leads any further - the ebay and gumtree links are now gone as far as I can see. But at least you now have an image. You could email it to a couple of boat builders and ask them?

I'm not sure about fans, many boaters use porthole bungs

We use 2 inch thick foam upholstered in faux leather. We use these as black outs and they offer great insulation in winter.

ClockChimney.jpg

There's an e-bay seller who makes these to order and you can choose your choice of material/colour. We ordered from this seller, very good quality & price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porthole-Bung-Narrowboat-Canalboat-17-20-Round-Window-Blind-Curtain-Screen-/390713694165?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Curtains_Blinds_CurtainFixtures_Accessories_EH&hash=item5af859d7d5

Hello,no they were like a foldable fan, in plastic I think. Designed to replace curtains.

This is an image from a dead ebay link. Is this what you mean? If so, they don't keep out much light, so not too great as replacement for curtains, although they would give you some privacy.

You could make your own from stiff paper.

mfam6w3xwRzwopciwVOcg8w.jpg

So a trip to an art or craft shop for some thick paper/card and make your own.

I wonder why the sellers cannot now be found. wink.png

Paper-clip or similar could be used instead of magnets.

So a trip to an art or craft shop for some thick paper/card and make your own.

I wonder why the sellers cannot now be found. wink.png

Paper-clip or similar could be used instead of magnets.

There is only a telephone number and an email address, no web page so nothing to find other than that add in the mag.

We use 2 inch thick foam upholstered in faux leather. We use these as black outs and they offer great insulation in winter.

ClockChimney.jpg

There's an e-bay seller who makes these to order and you can choose your choice of material/colour. We ordered from this seller, very good quality & price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porthole-Bung-Narrowboat-Canalboat-17-20-Round-Window-Blind-Curtain-Screen-/390713694165?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Curtains_Blinds_CurtainFixtures_Accessories_EH&hash=item5af859d7d5

Thanks, this seems to a better bet than the paper fans.

Thanks, this seems to a better bet than the paper fans.

Agreed

Aesthetically pleasing possibly but a bit flimsy and not useful in any way I can see.

We originally had bungs made from a dark Green fabric. These soon got grubby and a bit tatty, the covers were removable for washing, but all a bit fiddly to get washed.

We then scrapped them and went for the Faux leather, (real leather 4 times the price LOL) However they clean so easily with a quick wipe from a microfibre cloth. They're made with small loop/tags. We fitted small brass hooks under the gunwale where the portholes are located so hang them there until needed. They're 2 years old now but a quick wipe and they look as good as new.

There insulation value through winter alone pays for them in saved heat probably. We do like the way they totally black out the boat as well.

DSCF3344_zps84445640.jpg

DSCF3346_zpsc2a65a90.jpg

Oh the foam pads are 2" thick.

My bungs are wooden with a cloth cover which is now wearing and they tend to fall out. These look like an better idea, thanks for the link.