TV and internet!

Featured Posts

Hello, having just moved onto a boat I've got plenty to do! One thing I'd like to get nailed is good TV reception and as good as possible wi-fi. So I thought I'd ask you experienced boaters....

1) Is there a hands down BEST ariel/satellite dish for good TV reception? Is Sky a good option?

2) Is there currently a BEST method for getting good wi-fi. I run a macbook, iPhone and ipad and I'm happy to pay a monthly charge.

There seems to be a mountain of portable wi-fi options, it would be nice to know what REALLY cuts the mustard.

Cheers, Jason.

jasonlovesthegroove, on 03 Aug 2014 - 1:09 PM, said:

Hello, having just moved onto a boat I've got plenty to do! One thing I'd like to get nailed is good TV reception and as good as possible wi-fi. So I thought I'd ask you experienced boaters....

1) Is there a hands down BEST ariel/satellite dish for good TV reception? Is Sky a good option?

2) Is there currently a BEST method for getting good wi-fi. I run a macbook, iPhone and ipad and I'm happy to pay a monthly charge.

There seems to be a mountain of portable wi-fi options, it would be nice to know what REALLY cuts the mustard.

Cheers, Jason.

TV Aerial - Log Periodic

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html#AerialRecommendationsForBoats

Internet - a few options

Mi-fi on Three or a Zoom Travel router with a dongle on Three, or you can use your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hot spot - called tethering, only if your plan allows it though.

Many threads already on both TV and Internet connectivity although they are entirely separate subjects.

Note phone (3G) based internet connectivity is not WiFi although the latter can be used with phone connectivity locally within your boat to provide wireless internet distribution to several devices.

Edited by by'eck

I don't think there is really one option that is best for everyone, and there are lots of threads on here discussing the options, so a search for those would give you a lot of info.

1) It depends on what programs that you want, if you want to subscribe to Sky you certainly can, and get the full range for programs. You can also use freesat or simple free to air satellite receivers if you do not want the additional channels the a subscription will give. If there is reasonable terrestrial reception then you can just use the normal freeview, via an aerial. The choices are not really specific to a boat, the same would apply to a house, the difference being that a boat moves and you will need different solutions in different placse, such as when there is no terrestrial signal.

2) Do you have wifi available eg from a marina that you want to connect but just need to boost it, or are you looking for internet access you can get "anywhere". For the latter most use use a wireless broadband service from the mobile phone companies like Three, either by a dongle/mifi device of just via a smart phone.

Edited by john6767

Cheers, Jason.

If you're cruising the system and want to cut the mustard in all areas you'll need a selection of aerials and devices (assuming yiu have lots of storage space for them)

Alternatively you can have minimal kit and get a variable compromise in most places with first class results here and there.

You can't have it all, all of the time.

May be off topic but Ive also just moved into my boat...if i have a ordinary tv(12v--Maplins?) and aerial pole with thingy on top do I need digibox and scary cable? Please and thank you, IT not really my speciality.

May be off topic but Ive also just moved into my boat...if i have a ordinary tv(12v--Maplins?) and aerial pole with thingy on top do I need digibox and scary cable? Please and thank you, IT not really my speciality.

Aye - - you will need EITHER an aerial pole with a thingy on top

OR

a satellite dish and a Freesat box

Both of them will need to be re-pointed (and possibly your TV retuned) when you cruise. But none of it is difficult!

Aye - - you will need EITHER an aerial pole with a thingy on top

OR

a satellite dish and a Freesat box

Both of them will need to be re-pointed (and possibly your TV retuned) when you cruise. But none of it is difficult!

If the TV is from the last 6 years then it will have freeview built in, possibly with analogue as well, but all recent TVs include digital, so then just the aerial and the TV are required, no "digibox" needed.

If the TV is from the last 6 years then it will have freeview built in, possibly with analogue as well, but all recent TVs include digital, so then just the aerial and the TV are required, no "digibox" needed.

Is that right, all recent TV's include the satellite circuitry these days?

I didn't realise that!

(Ours has Freeview built in, but we still needed a Humax satellite 'receiver' box to get satellite transmissions

I didn't realise that!

(Ours has Freeview built in, but we still needed a Humax satellite 'receiver' box to get satellite transmissions

No, how did you deduce they had satellite built in?

I didn't realise that!

TVs now have terrestrial freeview built in (signal via coax cable from an aerial), but not the ability to decode satellite reception from a disk, I think.

TVs now have terrestrial freeview built in (signal via coax cable from an aerial), but not the ability to decode satellite reception from a disk, I think.

You can get TV's with Freesat built in.

What you can't get however is a TV with both Freeview and Freesat built in (at least as far as I know you cannot).

Giving they are basically competing digital TV platforms I don't think this is surprising.

Edited by The Dog House

I didn't realise that!

No that is not what I meant, all recent TV include digital terrestrial as well as or instead of analogue, so with a aerial you need nothing else, which the OP was asking if you needed as "box" as well as a TV, it at least tgT is how I read it.

You can of course get ones that in addition have a satellite receiver built in.

Edited by john6767

What you can't get however is a TV with both Freeview and Freesat built in (at least as far as I know you cannot).

Giving they are basically competing digital TV platforms I don't think this is surprising.

You can get plenty of TVs with both. The people that broadcast the programs are not the same people that make the TVs so competition isn't an issue...

You can get plenty of TVs with both. The people that broadcast the programs are not the same people that make the TVs so competition isn't an issue...

Interesting.

One here..

http://www.johnlewis.com/avtex-l165drs-lcd-hd-720p-tv-dvd-combi-16-with-freeview-freesat-analogue-tuner/p1545553?kpid=233758306&s_kenid=38067986-887c-c408-f2e8-000012a27b2d&s_kwcid=128x39569&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Works on 12v too.......

Edited by The Dog House

Be careful wink.png

HD Ready is not Full HD and the tuner(s) may not receive HD channels

Be careful ;)

Perhaps, but that wasn't the point of my post.

Besides who really needs full HD on such a small telly on a boat anyway?

Be careful wink.png

I would agree that does not look to have HD receivers for either freeview or freesat, just you can display HD resolution from an external hdmi source. However why does anyone need to have HD on a 16" TV, I just can't see the benefit, on a 50" I can see the point.

Hello all,

Well, although boats are something I know naff all about, technology is something I deal with day in, day out. And since the points about the TV are well made all I'm going to say is that my TV is satellite coming through a zone 1 (44 cm, the smallest) elliptical dish into a Pace TDS470N Sky+ box. Bear in mind this is useless if you're cruising on 12 V for which I keep the standard aerial which would be a log periodic if it wasn't the one that came with the boat. Freeview is heavily disrupted by traffic passing the marina, hence the satellite dish.

However!!! If you want Wifi, the most effective way of doing this on a boat is using:

Alfa R36 Wifi hotspot with USB and Ethernet. This runs on 12V for when you're a cruising and park up next to a pub with free wifi. They're about 30-40 quid depending on how quick you want it.

Now, on its own that does nothing. Well that's not true, it can work as a wifi repeater but bridge mode is insecure and you'd be totally daft to do it.

However, coupling it with one of several Alfa USB wifi adaptors turns it into a true wifi repeater capable of secure connections. Even better, they have external antenna ports so you can plug in a massive external antenna for really distant signals. Depending on your needs you can get Alfa USB adaptors with 1W or 2W transmitters, couple them with an external aerial (you can get 15 dB whip antennas for 15 quid and a base for a fiver) and get amazing external coverage. In this scenario the USB adaptor is powered by your 12V R36. If you've got large windows (unlike me) you can at least use the separate receiver and put it in the window using the supplied glass mount.

When you're out and about the USB adaptor will work with your laptop for picking up weak wifi signals, has drivers for linux, OS X and even Windoze. The Wifi receiver in my Macbook Pro is VERY strong but this is better! All available from Amazon.

If you want to pick up mobile internet, make sure you get a unit with an external aerial port. Then you can plug in an external aerial from Paramount Antennas in Frogmore. Working in RF I have used their aerials before (including for 3G when I lived in a caravan) and they're great. They will provide you with everything from an antenna to the adaptor to plug into your modem which normally has a CRC9 connector. Avoid extension leads with these high frequency aerials as they attenuate the signal more than the extra gain you get with the external aerial!

Gosh, that was a long post.

I would agree that does not look to have HD receivers for either freeview or freesat, just you can display HD resolution from an external hdmi source. However why does anyone need to have HD on a 16" TV, I just can't see the benefit, on a 50" I can see the point.

No reason you couldn't fit a 50" flatscreen TV on the inside wall of a narrowboat if you wanted to, some are now 30mm thick or less...

No reason you couldn't fit a 50" flatscreen TV on the inside wall of a narrowboat if you wanted to, some are now 30mm thick or less...

Yes you can and I am sure some do that, but the TV being referenced was a 16" one. So I would still assert that HD on a TV that size is on no practical benefit, unless you believe that non-HD freeview will be turned off soon, which I don't think is going to happen.