Mud Weight

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm planning to make a mud weight from some scrapped lead (don't tell the vicar). I'm happy that I have the equipment and means to make it but I'd like a stear on what sort of weight to aim for. (I also suspect that I have enough scrap for a couple of extra if any one is interested).

Hi all,

I'm planning to make a mud weight from some scrapped lead (don't tell the vicar). I'm happy that I have the equipment and means to make it but I'd like a stear on what sort of weight to aim for. (I also suspect that I have enough scrap for a couple of extra if any one is interested).

I'd be very interested if you have a spare! It would save me having to hang the beloved off the side of the boat when reversing!

edit: or am I getting my weights confused?! I do have an anchor.

Edited by Bones

Hi all,

Hi Tony

Keep meaning to make one myself but with all the other projects I have lined up I haven't got round to it so yes if you are making more than your requirements I would be very interested.

( When does the quiet and tranquil life begin ? ) :) Where is the virtual pub???

Tom

Yar Well

OK,

The mud weight will have a U bolt embedded (with the nuts attached to ensure it stays embedded). I will have a go at producing a 56lb-ish weight and post a photo and dimensions. Bones and Yar Well - you have 'first refusal' on any extras I make - but bear in mind that you will have to arrange to collect !!

OK,

The mud weight will have a U bolt embedded (with the nuts attached to ensure it stays embedded). I will have a go at producing a 56lb-ish weight and post a photo and dimensions. Bones and Yar Well - you have 'first refusal' on any extras I make - but bear in mind that you will have to arrange to collect !!

Hi Tony,

Put me on the list please!

Cheers

Julian

When BW replace lock gates the old ones are basically scrapped. The handrails on proper old lock gates are mounted into a 'butterfly' which is a large cast iron holder for the end of the rail, bolted with 3 bolts through the lock gate.

Normally these are removed and the railing chopped up then into the skip when the gates are replaced.

It is possible to bolt two of these, back to back, and make quite a wicked mud weight - I've got a couple and they are nice and heavy and good shape to hold the mud. If they are bolted together with two bolts it leaves one hole for the rope/shackle.

When BW replace lock gates the old ones are basically scrapped. The handrails on proper old lock gates are mounted into a 'butterfly' which is a large cast iron holder for the end of the rail, bolted with 3 bolts through the lock gate.

Normally these are removed and the railing chopped up then into the skip when the gates are replaced.

It is possible to bolt two of these, back to back, and make quite a wicked mud weight - I've got a couple and they are nice and heavy and good shape to hold the mud. If they are bolted together with two bolts it leaves one hole for the rope/shackle.

Hi Magnetman

Are you saying you have a couple spare? :)

Tom

Yar Well

Just to show my ignorance. Is a mud weight a sort of anchor?

Yes, its basicaly a just a wieght, that i used loosly as an anchor.

- However, although it holds less firmly, it has the advantage that is is much less likly to become snaged on something on the bed, or be otherwise too hard to remove.

Uses include holding the stern when at anchor, and also holding the bow to turn around (usally when on a flowing river to turn upstream)

- The most common item used for a NB is a 56lb iron weight, as there about the right size, and used to be easly and reguarly avalable.

Also, if anyone does have one to spare, ours was stolen from our back deck at the end of last year, and we really need a replacment.

- I know someone who has a about eight of them on his foredeck right now, but he refused to sell me one! - I told him he should padlock them down or they will go walkies with someone, and i didnt mean me.

Daniel

Why bother to make a mud weight when you can buy a 56lb weight from any general scrap merchant. The going price for one in decent condition is £10/£12 but a rusty one should only be about a fiver.

Edited by David Schweizer

David,

I have the lead and a suitable device in which to smelt it and form the Mud weight. I could go out and buy a suitable weight - but that would leave me with a stack of lead to dispose of in another way - I no longer shoot so do not cast my bullets any more, I don't fish so have no need to cast fishing weights, but I do have a need for a Mud Weight. QED

Why bother to make a mud weight when you can buy a 56lb weight from any general scrap merchant. The going price for one in decent condition is £10/£12 but a rusty one should only be about a fiver.

Well, you say that. But we've actually stuggled to find anyone willing to sell one yet.

- Admitly we could have tryed harder, but one said he didnt had any left, other that they wernt for sale.

David,

I have the lead and a suitable device in which to smelt it and form the Mud weight. I could go out and buy a suitable weight - but that would leave me with a stack of lead to dispose of in another way - I no longer shoot so do not cast my bullets any more, I don't fish so have no need to cast fishing weights, but I do have a need for a Mud Weight. QED

Start selling diving weights. :)

Another useful device for making into a mudweight is an old railway 'chair' (or are they called 'saddles'). Anyway, the large casting which used to hold the rail to the wooden sleepers before the days of tinny little clips and concrete sleepers.

These can usually be found around old railway lines (what a brainy thought) and sometimes under railway bridges in the canal.

edit: just goggled it (oo) and they are called 'bullhead chairs".

Edited by magnetman

Heres a picture of a 'chair', for anyone not famiualr with railway constuction:

chairtrkfm8.jpg

Infact, ive just found a whole webpage detaining all the diffrent types!

- 'Bullhead' or Flatbottom' refers to the section of the rail itself. Which ovbously has an affect on the shape fo the chair.

Another useful device for making into a mudweight is an old railway 'chair' (or are they called 'saddles'). Anyway, the large casting which used to hold the rail to the wooden sleepers before the days of tinny little clips and concrete sleepers.

These can usually be found around old railway lines (what a brainy thought) and sometimes under railway bridges in the canal.

edit: just goggled it (oo) and they are called 'bullhead chairs".

Heres a picture of a 'chair', for anyone not famiualr with railway constuction:

chairtrkfm8.jpg

Infact, ive just found a whole webpage detaining all the diffrent types!

- 'Bullhead' or Flatbottom' refers to the section of the rail itself. Which ovbously has an affect on the shape fo the chair.

A "health and safety" and indeed even a legal warning are important here.....

Before you actually remove any of these from an in-situ railway line you should satisfy yourself that....

1) That the line is never any more used by trains, and will not be in the future

2) That you have sought the permission of the railway line owner

:)

A "health and safety" and indeed even a legal warning are important here.....

Before you actually remove any of these from an in-situ railway line you should satisfy yourself that....

1) That the line is never any more used by trains, and will not be in the future

2) That you have sought the permission of the railway line owner

:)

Most preserved railways would be pleased to sell them to you for a modest sum.

Short lengths of scrap bullhead rail is also ideal as ballast in the bilges - they don't soak up moisture like bricks and slabs.

:) You are clearly a very funny man Bazza, I like you. Have a beer :)

Why Thank you Tomsk - high praise indeed from a man of your stature in another thread

Have Onan generators got hand start, and if so which hand is it?

He's a biblical character isn't he - so must be the right....eous hand

hehehehe

Why Thank you Tomsk - high praise indeed from a man of your stature in another thread

He's a biblical character isn't he - so must be the right....eous hand

hehehehe

That unfortunate incident is closed and has been struck from my memory.