Equalization

leeco

Featured Posts

smile.png Only once on a sealed battery ! smile.png

If they are wet open cells, you keep them topped up and you do the equalisation properly (monitoring temperature and specific gravity) the you can do it many times. If this was not the case we would be having batteries dying all over the place because of the automatic equalistaion done by many battery chargers.

If you let the batteries get too hot, dry or continue equalisation for longer than you should then you are likely to cause they plates to shed material, however with typical engine charging even that might be nullified by the partial removal of sulphate.

• Greenie 1

Battery equalisation carried out by subjecting the battery to higher than normal charge voltages is an extreme form of battery recuperation. Its intended to de-sulphate any cells that are below par and so equalise them all to similar performance.

Nothing to say this can't be repeated with open cell batteries where there is opportunity to replace electrolyte that will be depleted by the process. It will diminish battery life overall due to plate shedding though, but it can also bring a near dead battery back to life.

How coincidental we just undertook a 3 hour equalization on our bank.

We have U.S 2200 which require a 2 to 3 hour equalization monthly at 15.5 volts I recall. This is done via the Outback controller but not set automatically as we prefer to choose the time of equalization.

I'll let the batteries settle a bit and top up the cells tomorrow.

You might need to turn the volume up in youtube next to the play button bottom left of the vid box.

I tried it again and it was fine. I will see how my data goes before watching it right through. When I was at work we use to equalise if I remember correctly every 3 months