Ham Radio on board

LillyPotemkin

Featured Posts

I was wondering if there are many ham radio operators with stations on there narrow boats?

The next bit is all radio jargon,sorry

If so what are you running, QRP or more and what bands,modes,antennas are you using

I'm hoping to be active shortly 80 thru 2 mtrs

73's

M6DAD

I never cobbled enough courage to take the RAE - well the morse test, so I remain a slight watcher.

I only know of two obvious Hams on the areas that I cruise -

One on the south / South Oxford in a tiny Springer, but with a girt big 2M rig and others including a stearable Sat dish (off topic). I can never hear a genny running - so I don't know how he gets the power to run the kit.

The other is at the top end of Tardebigge - but he's based in a cottage on the canalside, so I suppose that doesn't count.

Well, that's got the discussion started at least.

I never cobbled enough courage to take the RAE - well the morse test, so I remain a slight watcher.

I only know of two obvious Hams on the areas that I cruise -

One on the south / South Oxford in a tiny Springer, but with a girt big 2M rig and others including a stearable Sat dish (off topic). I can never hear a genny running - so I don't know how he gets the power to run the kit.

The other is at the top end of Tardebigge - but he's based in a cottage on the canalside, so I suppose that doesn't count.

Well, that's got the discussion started at least.

Hi OldGoat,

These days the 'exam' for what's called the foundation licence is multiple choice.There is no morse test these days.Once you have your foundation licence you can use all frequencies SW HF to UHF.The licence restricts you to 10 watt power out put.

But if you have a decent antenna, a home made dipole is fine, you can contact people all over the world. Its a great hobby,your local radio club normally do courses for the test.Hopefully hear you on air soon

Hi OldGoat,

These days the 'exam' for what's called the foundation licence is multiple choice.There is no morse test these days.Once you have your foundation licence you can use all frequencies SW HF to UHF.The licence restricts you to 10 watt power out put.

But if you have a decent antenna, a home made dipole is fine, you can contact people all over the world. Its a great hobby,your local radio club normally do courses for the test.Hopefully hear you on air soon

Thanks for the update.

I began in the days when everything was a challenge. I had an Army 12 set at my disposal plus a succession of ex air forces gear T1154, R1155 and US gear of the Q5 variety (I can't remember the series numbers), all bought in the Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street (?sp), carting the stuff home by bus.

Since then things have moved on to other interests.

I no longer have radio equipment on the boat but had limlited success.v/uhf was difficult because of needing to get ant high up and in the clear.if you go /m most hams head for the hills not so easy by canal.hf a little better but my loaded whips that i tried werent that good.but maybe a gd wire dipole the lengh of the boat may work or longer verts than i tried.m0bqf

CRE 8900 with Thunderpole Tankwhip and KL203 amp. Not a 'Ham', but an 11m Freebander - especially now SSB and AM are legal on the Mids (CEPT)...

Baofeng UV5RE also

It's a mixed bag really - when the skips in I can hear North/South America on the boat no roblem, but if I want to attempt to DX in real terms I have to transfer the equipment to the car and go high up static mobile. Not tempted to do my 'Foundation' ticket though - too much investment for too little gain when 11m Freebanding does the job.

Edited to add: Here's one of a few threads on 'Canal Ham's' started previously:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45838&hl=%2Bcanal+%2Bhams

Edited by Orca

Passed my RAE in 1964 but too young to hold a licence. Exactly forty years later dug out my C & G certificate and they gave me one without question - m0dsu.

Used it with ICOM M810 on sailing yacht mainly in the Caribbean for voice and Pactor based email (Winlink). All the DC panel LED indicators used to flicker when I spoke loudly. Great to be able to send/receive emails free mid Atlantic. Best hook up I got was with Canadian station nearly 4000 miles away whilst in Tunisia and on the hard.

Just had this link sent to me from my brother who is a radio ham.

http://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/special-interest-groups/biwota-british-inland-waterways-air/

smile.png

Wot they said + the arm rest cloth.

Ed. Or have you just screwed uphis log book?

Probably screw up his log book

smile.png

I don't think my dad has ever forgiven me for fitting a CB radio in my car and used the call sign (handle) "The General"

smile.png

Catch you all on the flip flop, good buddies and a big ten four

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Regarding left handed RO's. Over time I progressed from a regular morse key, to a "Bug" (Both vibrating and electronic) where the thumb and forefinger operated a sidways moving paddle allowing the wrist to rest on the desk while operating. (Essential when sending messages of over 2000 words) The thumb would make the dits and the forefinger the dhas. Was a "left handed Key" ever made? Most of the 'lefties' I knew managed ok but one who originally learned using the right hand after an arm injury had to turn the key upside down to use his left hand.

Edited to add: _

I sold my vibrating bug when I got my electronic one. I regret that now. The electronic one has little value, but the mechanical vibro will no doubt become an object of great interest. For my 21st birthday Ship's engineers made me a beautiful morse key. A useless object of art, could not achieve more than 15 words per minute due to it being badly balanced. That compares to 30-35 words per minute on the electronic bug

Edited by Radiomariner

I have equipped the boat for use with HF through to 70 cms - I have a simple SO-239 just forward of the hatch for 6/2/70 and use a Roach pole and a ploe to get approx a 14M whip for the lower bands, tuned with a SGC 230 against the hull - works brilliantly

How about a weekly net ?

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I have equipped the boat for use with HF through to 70 cms - I have a simple SO-239 just forward of the hatch for 6/2/70 and use a Roach pole and a ploe to get approx a 14M whip for the lower bands, tuned with a SGC 230 against the hull - works brilliantly

How about a weekly net ?

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm currently only on 2.I'd really like to set up a FT817 or similar and run HF thru an auto tuner as you have.My 'shack' is in the process of being set up -

Do you find the boat a lot quieter electrically than a house?

I use an FT-817 QRP (manly CW) with an LDG Z817 tuner into whatever aerial suits the band based upon:

Co-ax lead to and SO239 socket fixed to a large camping (nail style) peg. The centre connection (via one single choc block) to a length of 7x0.1 to the top of a 10m fibre glass fishing pole on the bow. For 80m I use a longer wire which then goes to another 10m pole on the stern.

2.5W CW achievements:

ZD7, EM, VE, J88, 9H, etc., love it - Colin G4GBP

Can get to 5W if I take 12v power from the boat!

Thanks for the update.

I began in the days when everything was a challenge. I had an Army 12 set at my disposal plus a succession of ex air forces gear T1154, R1155 and US gear of the Q5 variety (I can't remember the series numbers), all bought in the Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street (?sp), carting the stuff home by bus.

Since then things have moved on to other interests.

Blimey that brings back memories....I started with a 19 set then progressed to 1154 with an AR88 I remember after my first call on 80 metres got a reply giving me 5/9 on 80 metres and 40 metres and 20 metres blush.png (G3UTB)