A Nice Dinner Spoiled

mark99

Featured Posts

Just had a really excellent meal at the Fox Hanwell and some good ale. Sitting here on towpath reflecting a good day I noticed some water disturbance. Further examination showed a fish in distress. And a horrible smell.

Walking to where the Brent enters the canal I can see more little fish in distress going belly up. And a big slick.

There is a pollution happening.

I think it's the result of a cloudburst that's brought the Brent from a stagnant river to a highly flowing steam taking Nw London surface water into the canal.

Anyway reported to EA pollution desk who will dispatch a officer tomorrow. Other passers by are complaining too about the smell.

Its a bugger for the fish done nowt wrong and they end up dead because someone cant dispose of something properly

Peter

Well they probably can dispose of it properly but that might detract from their profits, and we cant have that can we.....grrrrrrr....

It happens from time to time here, as you say, the Brent's a massive drain for North London and can change flow in minutes.

It could be from anywhere.

Good call for reporting it! Which way you heading?

Rob

Been to Brentford now going north.

The Brent has calmed down. All the scum and slicks have gone and the fish stopped turning belly up. There were a few of us gathered last night on the bridge witnessing the mess and stink.

All in all I thinks it's just what happens to this river as it's really just all open run off channel.

That aside we will be back as I was impressed with the canal from Norwood to Brentford. Hardly any boats too.

Edited by mark99

As wanted said, the Brent is a drain for a large chunk of London as are the Dollis Brook and Mutton Brook which feed into it, after a dry spell a heavy burst of rain will carry all sorts into these 3 waterways though some dilution will occur when the Brent passes through the Welsh Harp resevoir. Mind you its a hell of a lot better than when I was a kid, then in the 50s and early 60s many factories discharged straight into it and it stunk to high heaven supporting no life whatsoever with "foam" feet deep covering it in places (Park Royal)

Phil

As wanted said, the Brent is a drain for a large chunk of London as are the Dollis Brook and Mutton Brook which feed into it, after a dry spell a heavy burst of rain will carry all sorts into these 3 waterways though some dilution will occur when the Brent passes through the Welsh Harp resevoir. Mind you its a hell of a lot better than when I was a kid, then in the 50s and early 60s many factories discharged straight into it and it stunk to high heaven supporting no life whatsoever with "foam" feet deep covering it in places (Park Royal)

Phil

yes, this happens on the Lee and then there's a big fish kill, all that dried up road run off, into the river. Horrible.

Hi,

Try stirring up the mud at the mooring by the Fox ------ the smell is dreadful.

L

We too had a nice dinner at the Fox last month, but the water on the mooring bubbles like Alka Seltzer - obviously something fermenting nicely!

Edited by Bullfrog

Yes It was fizzing like a good Un last night. This year that area got badly silted. Apparently there was an island there. I watched the Brent go from zero flow to high flow in about 2 hours. The smell is just the same as when they desilt the road gulleys.

Yeah, the silt builds up just around the corner where the Brent joins the GU. I often see people getting excited because they get near the pub, faces soon change when they stir up a bit of mud!

When I Wind there I get the arse end right back as far as possible into the corner of the lock gate to avoid the 'Island'

Shame we missed you Mark, give me a shout next time.

Rob

NB Rob where are you moored? in the "centre before lock 100" or past lock 100?

3_zps3bd96cee.jpg

NB one of my abiding memories is walking around the Welsh Harp in the 1970's and seeing the foam and being told the reservoir was badly polluted (from the Brent).

2_zps6beb64ab.jpg

1_zpsb011e166.jpg

When we went down that way for the Jubilee Pageant a couple of years ago, we got stuck in the middle of the cut at one of the points where the river leaves, just above the motorway I think it was. Trying to get loose by pushing on the soggy rotting bottom with a shaft, and stirring it all up with the propellor, struck me as being definitely hazardous to health. It was downright evil.

Tim

When we went down that way for the Jubilee Pageant a couple of years ago, we got stuck in the middle of the cut at one of the points where the river leaves, just above the motorway I think it was. Trying to get loose by pushing on the soggy rotting bottom with a shaft, and stirring it all up with the propellor, struck me as being definitely hazardous to health. It was downright evil.

Tim

I'm just trying to remember if they dredged before or after that, I know the bit you mean and it did get grim, it's not too bad ATM.