winter hols

Lesd

Featured Posts

Less than a week till our winter hols, we have a week booked on 'Summerwine' out of Norbury Junction from next Sat. Due to stoppages we'll be heading south, nothing to strenuous just lots of pottering along, pubs and log fires. Give us a wave if you see us or come aboard for a beer !!!

Les+Heidi

<_<

I envy you Les! Wish I was going out on a boat too. We have to wait until May for our narrowboat trip. One of these days we'll win the lottery and be able to afford one of our own. Hope the weather's kind to you. We spent two weeks last May with rain every single day, ranging from drizzle to torrential (our log is on the forum somewhere) and enjoyed (almost) every single minute! Somehow, looking back on it, I've forgotten all the wet bits!

Until then, we have our little Wet Betsy and lots of dreams!

Have a great tiime. Make sure you post a log when you get back. I think it's obligatory!!

Janet

I envy you Les! Wish I was going out on a boat too. We have to wait until May for our narrowboat trip. One of these days we'll win the lottery and be able to afford one of our own. Hope the weather's kind to you. We spent two weeks last May with rain every single day, ranging from drizzle to torrential (our log is on the forum somewhere) and enjoyed (almost) every single minute! Somehow, looking back on it, I've forgotten all the wet bits!

Have a great tiime. Make sure you post a log when you get back. I think it's obligatory!!

Janet

Ah yes, I believe we were out the same fortnight in May and got wet everyday!

However, I also got rather wet today waiting around outside a coroner's court. At least on a boat you have the changing scenery to look at, and there's a kettle close at hand!

can't wait to be able to get our properly in our new boat, delivered onto the Thames first week of December and had to stay in the marina for two weeks as Thames and River Wey on red boards, finaly managed to move it just before Christmas and had to negotiate the most scary entrance to River Wey (outlet from a very large Weir on River Thames). Unfortunaly it has rained almost ever since and the river has been on and off of red boards, so have a very lovely boat and can't use it to cruise. However, hopefully the system will all be topped up for the Summer.

Ah yes, I believe we were out the same fortnight in May and got wet everyday!

And did you manage to forget the wet bits too? Funny thing this boating lark, isn't it? Causes amnesia as soon as you return to reality!

Janet

And did you manage to forget the wet bits too? Funny thing this boating lark, isn't it? Causes amnesia as soon as you return to reality!

Janet

I remember some wet bits, especially the hail stones! But I also remember some dry bits, particularly having to change into shorts for the only time in the fortnight as we went down the Lapworth flight. You're right, though, memory is very selective.

Having to change into shorts

Oh God! That's just triggered a flashback! My companion on the cruise instisted on weariing shorts at every available opportunity, complete with goose bumps, blue knees bordering on hypothermia and an insistence every time I asked after his well-being that "No, I'm not cold".

I'm not convinced. I saw the goosebumps! Why do you men insist on wearing shorts when it's several degrees below normal comfort level? Is it just a man thing?

Janet

PS. I wore trousers, over leggings, over tights, and I was still bloody cold!

Edited by Janet S

Now now come on..

I've worn shorts when it's being raining, due to the simple reason that if you get your legs wet, you can dry them with a towel. If you get your pants/trousers wet, many hours on the tiller with wet pants can be very uncomfortable, unless you change every 10 minutes of course and fill the boat full of wet clothes.

There is always the choice of waterproof leggings though, which I now own :)

I've worn shorts when it's being raining, due to the simple reason that if you get your legs wet, you can dry them with a towel. If you get your pants/trousers wet, many hours on the tiller with wet pants can be very uncomfortable, unless you change every 10 minutes of course and fill the boat full of wet clothes.

I've done the same, but it does really need to be warm for shorts in the rain to make any sense!

In my defence, the day we went down the Lapworth in May had started chilly, but by the time we got to the flight the sun was splitting the sky and the temperature had gone up dramatically. In other words, it was actually shorts weather!

Less than a week till our winter hols, we have a week booked on 'Summerwine' out of Norbury Junction from next Sat. Due to stoppages we'll be heading south, nothing to strenuous just lots of pottering along, pubs and log fires. Give us a wave if you see us or come aboard for a beer !!!

Les+Heidi

:)

Typical forum gone from this to shorts but back on track, we were out on summer wine a month or so ago. No indication its a hire boat painted in lovely colours with all mod cons. The staff at norbury are really friendly, ask for dave to do the handover and you'll be on your way in no time. Your first pub will be the navigation in gnosall as the light will be failing if you get away by three. The Harley Arms is a really nice pub further down the cut with Brewood (prounounced Brewd) a really nice stopover. The Admiral Rodney is very nice but try Jimmys chinese takeaway if you want a night on board. We were more adventurous and got as far as the Merlin on the Stour and Worcs brilliant steak. If you go as far as that there is a handy tip for winding pm me for advice. Loads more but got 2 go c u.

Very sensible! The previous owner of our boat said the government should make laws about people wearing shorts - every time we saw someone in shorts he would run out the same ideas that the following categories of person should not be allowed shorts:

All men, Women over 50 years old, Fat women, Thin Women - he went on an on . . .

No. I think you'll find that it's actually a serious comfort thing. Why be cold when you don't need to be? Women look for comfort. Men have a point to prove! Muppets!

Janet

Until, of course, it's time to go clubbing - when, miraculously, women can stand around for hours outside the nightclub or walking from pub to pub in the depths of winter wearing the skimpiest of clothes with, apparently, no trouble what-so-ever

Now that's a women thing!!

I used to do a bit of taxi driving and I used to be amazed at how little clothing women can wear on bitterly cold nights

Until, of course, it's time to go clubbing - when, miraculously, women can stand around for hours outside the nightclub or walking from pub to pub in the depths of winter wearing the skimpiest of clothes with, apparently, no trouble what-so-ever

Now that's a women thing!!

I used to do a bit of taxi driving and I used to be amazed at how little clothing women can wear on bitterly cold nights

Agreed, but I would caveat thusly;

I think it's prolly more of a 'Youngish girl and old munter' thing as opposed to a 'woman' thing :)

One of these days we'll win the lottery and be able to afford one of our own.

Janet

Have you thought of compromising, and getting a smallish cruiser. For only 2 to 3 times the price of a week on a NB, you can buy a decent cruiser, with enough space to live in comfort for a week or two. I'm thinking inparticular of a 23 Norman, or similar.

On the subject of shorts. Well I don't own a pair, and have been the only one on the beach on a hot day in jeans. I don't do 'seaside' holidays, in fact don't have holidays at all. Probably because I grew up nearby, so every summer was one for a few years, as I spent most evenings and weekends there. So the only time I've been on the beach is to take Barney for a day out. He loves it; I suppose it's the space, and North End beach at Mablethorpe must be one of the best in the country.....miles and miles of flat sand, even at high tide.

However last summer, when it was really hot, I did make a pair of 'cutoffs' from some old jeans, while we were having a weekend at Southrey.

Oh God! That's just triggered a flashback! My companion on the cruise instisted on weariing shorts at every available opportunity, complete with goose bumps, blue knees bordering on hypothermia and an insistence every time I asked after his well-being that "No, I'm not cold".

I'm not convinced. I saw the goosebumps! Why do you men insist on wearing shorts when it's several degrees below normal comfort level? Is it just a man thing?

Janet

I can quite understand his motives. I really don't feel the cold on my legs and once yo have been out of longs for a day they seem very restricting.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the kind wishes, hopefully 8 months and it will be full time :cheers:

Well folks we have lierally just got back from a truely memorable week on the Shroppie and Staffs and Worcs. I'll post a more detailed account in a few days once I get some picures sorted. We picked upthe boat late last Sat and managed to get from Norbury down to just south of Kinver before winding. We survived everything the weather could throw at us along the way, including the dreaded storms, which ended up with us stuck for 24hours next to four large fallen trees near bridge 8 on the Shroppie. Two other boats equipped with chain saws and a BW work party eventually found us on our way again. We ended up getting back to base 6 hours late earlier today which wasn't a problem as the boat wasn't booked to go out this week. A fantastic week, we met some lovely people, traveled two beautiful canals, sampled several cracking pubs (the Swan at Compton taking top spot). We are now also rather more experienced at boating in strong winds than we we were a week ago <_<

Les + Heidi

Les - hope you and Heidi have a wonderful time of it! Just remember it'll be 10 times even lovelier on your own boat! Not too long now ... x