BSS for New Boat

Glynn

Featured Posts

I realise that a new boat that comes with a certificate of conformity doesn't have a BSS certificate and that the cert of conformity acts as one,

but at what age does the new boats conformity cert expire and require a BSS test ?.

4 years but the Certificate of Conformity certainly does not bean the boat complies with the BSS. If this is your boat I would advise that you get it surveyed and BSS'd for your own good while you can still get the vendor to rectify any faults found.

The Certificate of Conformity is almost an invitation to fraud in that it is usually self certificated by the builder and how well it actually complies has been brought into question on a number of occasions. The law in this area is effectively toothless and gum-less.

4 years but the Certificate of Conformity certainly does not bean the boat complies with the BSS. If this is your boat I would advise that you get it surveyed and BSS'd for your own good while you can still get the vendor to rectify any faults found.

The Certificate of Conformity is almost an invitation to fraud in that it is usually self certificated by the builder and how well it actually complies has been brought into question on a number of occasions. The law in this area is effectively toothless and gum-less.

As advised by Tony, BSS by an independant examiner, as part of the acceptance process.

Bod

I believe our boat wasn't, going by the receipts the 2nd owner had to pay.(Mushrooms moved, [too close to boiler], battery secured properly, not small items.)

I realise that a new boat that comes with a certificate of conformity doesn't have a BSS certificate and that the cert of conformity acts as one,

but at what age does the new boats conformity cert expire and require a BSS test ?.

Our boat was four when we bought it. It had been certified as compliant with the RCD when new. It did however need some work to pass it's first BSS exam which was incorporated into our pre purchase survey in June 2010.

It was relatively minor work and the vendor paid to have it done but it shows compliance with RCD in the eyes of the builder does not necessarily mean compliance with the BSS exam

For the price of an exam set against the price of a new/ish boat I would say it is money well spent.

Some boat fitters have their boats BSCed before they leave the yard, so you know they are OK

I know one boat (new boat company) that at 4 years failed BSC because of no low level vents in internal doors .

If this had been a car then all affected models would have been recalled.

I know one boat (new boat company) that at 4 years failed BSC because of no low level vents in internal doors .

Ventilation is not a failure on a private boat

Ventilation is not a failure on a private boat

Perhaps he meant the owner was issued with a warning notice, assuming the ventilation short fall was sufficient enough.?

Reading the guide no low level ventilation at all would seem to indicate sufficient reason for the examiner to issue such a notice.

Edited by The Dog House

Perhaps he meant the owner was issued with a warning notice, assuming the ventilation short fall was sufficient enough.?

Reading the guide no low level ventilation at all would seem to indicate sufficient reason for the examiner to issue such a notice.

I fully agree but it wouldn't be a failure only advice so the idea of a recall probably wouldn't exist.

Quite right. No low level ventilation requires a warning notice. However, still remains advisory. Some people find it hard to get their your heads round that! (Including some examiners)

Quite right. No low level ventilation requires a warning notice. However, still remains advisory. Some people find it hard to get their your heads round that! (Including some examiners)

What is recommended for internal doors, not something that affects us as we don't have any full length internal doors

Certainly an examiner error as they had to fit them to get certificate .

The owners should have read the guide as if they had they would have seen it is advisory only, they then could have initiated an appeal if they really wanted to, though having them fit was probably a good idea anyway.

Edited by The Dog House

It depends when it was tested, it is only advisory now, previously it was compulsory, I also know of one boat that failed but it was a few years ago.

Perhaps, Radiomariner can confirm, or not that I am correct.

It depends when it was tested, it is only advisory now, previously it was compulsory, I also know of one boat that failed but it was a few years ago.

I think its been advisory on private boats for a long time, I seem to recall a friend having a discussion with the BSC examiner about 10 years ago when he wanted him to make holes in the doors.

What is recommended for internal doors, not something that affects us as we don't have any full length internal doors

Most/Many internal doors have large gaps both high and low allowing sufficient ventilation throughout the vessel. If the doors are completely sealed the examiner should consider each compartment separately considering any appliances and persons likely to occupy that compartment. I have on a few occasions given an "advisory" where an internal door did not allow sufficient ventilation to a room with fuel burning appliances. I also fear that there may have been times that I have failed to notice an open pinned back or sliding door

Prior to 2005 I believe the BSS requirements for ventilation were mandatory as they still are for commercial and hire boats. I was not an examiner then but was a bit miffed when the Examiner told me to fit three more UFO type ventilators. I was upset some time later when I discovered that all I had to do was replace one of the existing UFO's with a mushroom. I don't think it would have been too much for the examiner to suggest that. I think I said this recently in another thread but I think it is part of the examiners duties to help the boat owner to solve any problems that he, the examiner, presents.

Any builder or fitter who is a member of the Canal Boat builders Association, now has to have new builds bss tested independently, as well as the RCD cert, and the CBA do follow this through. More reason, to my mind, for people to chose builders who are members.

Any builder or fitter who is a member of the Canal Boat builders Association, now has to have new builds bss tested independently, as well as the RCD cert, and the CBA do follow this through. More reason, to my mind, for people to chose builders who are members.

That's good