Anyone know where I can get cheaper ones if these?

Wanted

Featured Posts

Look into companys dealing in solar kit for motor home/camping cars, a copy of a MH magazine will probably come up with some outlets, or the ever faithful google some thing in the line solar panels for MH"s.

Solar brackets

http://www.littlechimneycompany.co.uk/solar-panel-brackets/4582025815

I need 6 pairs but I am sure I have seen them for so much cheaper than £45. Any clues?

There used to be loads of these on eBay for about £40, a price I thought was also bonkers, but now they all seem to be gone.

I'm vaguely wondering about the technicalities of having a batch of these made. I imagine sheet metalworking firms would have a high tech machine to cut out the triangle shape and the holes all in one go straight from a CAD drawing. Does anybody know what this process is called?

MtB

You'd laser/plasma cut the shape and the slot/holes then use a sheet folder to add the bend. Most laser / plasma cutters can deal with common CAD formats so that would keep your setup costs down. It'd be cheaper to make a batch out of a single sheet.

Sounds like a job for Doodlebug!

Does actually!

"Abrasive water jet cutting" (AWJ) seems to be the process for cutting out the blanks. Then a fold operation.

If say 1000 were ordered, 500 pairs, I doubt the cost for the bracket would exceed about a fiver each, and possibly be a lot less.

Then the sourcing of some stainless thumbscrews, nuts etc might add perhaps another fiver per pair.

Could be quite a good product line for Mr Bug.

MtB

I have used a motorised satellite dish Mount to make a tracker and before that i had tilt and swivel mounts I made from 2x2" alloy angle.

Panels are now flat as I am now on mains electric most of the year :rolleyes:

Another possibility would be a mobility scooter hoist with vertical and horizontal actuators, as long as it has 180' swing. :)

Sorry op just read you need 6 pairs so you are probably not looking for a tracker setup...

Yeah, I think a 6 panel auto system might adjust the budget a little... It would look cool though!

We are about to invest in 600w Solar which will effectively turn our roof into our generator, I still think the simplest and most elegant (?) solution if the triangle things. Clearly there is a small market for these so I shall price up a batch with our local fabricators. Unless someone else actually wants to make a business out of it and charge a lot less than 45 quid!

Yeah, I think a 6 panel auto system might adjust the budget a little... It would look cool though!

We are about to invest in 600w Solar which will effectively turn our roof into our generator, I still think the simplest and most elegant (?) solution if the triangle things. Clearly there is a small market for these so I shall price up a batch with our local fabricators. Unless someone else actually wants to make a business out of it and charge a lot less than 45 quid!

Onboard solar look like they use the same brackets you want, might be worth a phone call to see if they can supply you

http://www.onboardsolar.co.uk/timpages/timcontact.php

Well i for one would look to get some of this style of bracket if anyone ever sells them at a more realistic price . I ve got 4 x 100w panels & might get 1 more soon but the best part of £200 on brackets just isn t affordable . So if anyone does make some i d be interested for sure

cheers

I have just glued down 6 of the nine flexible 100w solar panels I bought. I am very pleased with them and whilst I realise I am losing power by not tilting the fact that wind or thieving scumbags cant remove them gives me a nice warm feeling clapping.gif A real plus is that I will only have half as much roof to paint as well icecream.gif a bonus or what

Peter

Hi Barnacle, I am possibly going to get a full solar installation now which includes these brackets, so I probably wouldn't order now. That said, I think there defiantly is. Market for them so good luck. If I find any to measure I'll forward it on.

Best

Rob

My understanding is that the hotter the panels the less efficient they are. By holding them off the roof you allow airflow underneath, but I agree, that they are more secure. I guess it's a choice based on what you feel will affect you most.