How to inform new, enthusiastic, would be boaters?

RLWP

Featured Posts

In my browsing the internet looking for stuff about one of my other interests, I found Anvilfire - an excellent site of you are into hot working steel

They have this page: http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/swords_faq_index.htm

Now, it's an amusing read - I can feel Jack's irritation bubbling through as he writes that page. It also contains a lot of truth, and is actually useful if you accept what Jack is saying

The parallel here is someone wanting to live on a boat - we used to get three or four people a year asking, it seems to have increased significantly recently

Should we have a pinned page of advice - the usual stuff we work into those kinds of threads like 'have you been on a canal boat?'?

Or am I just a grumpy old git and need to learn to ignore stuff and let other people answer them

Richard

Yes,, I see your point,

But, I think if we are honest, have we all asked what more wiser people might consider stupid questions about something in the past !.

So I would probably say that us Grumpy old Gits need to learn Tolerance !.

I'm not worried, or bothered about stupid questions, only unasked questions are stupid

Richard

Only need 3 words: "it" "don't" "do".

(Arrange in the order of your choice.)

Can't find the "tongue in cheek" emoticon.

How do we say that carefully, and in a way that will inform people enough to be able to choose between 'Ah, I understand - I'm not doing it' and 'I understand, I'm still up for it'

Richard

Well to earn a bit of extra cash, I want to be a Brain surgeon,, Where would I start ?.

Plenty of material between your ears to practice on

It isn't rocket science, you know

Richard

Should we have a pinned page of advice - the usual stuff we work into those kinds of threads like 'have you been on a canal boat?'?

Or am I just a grumpy old git and need to learn to ignore stuff and let other people answer them

Richard

Both ninja.gifcheers.gif

I am a member on Melodeon.net forums. They have a series of pages of advice for beginners on the left hand side of the home page. I found these invaluable when starting out, and occasionally refer to them now.

I think that the number of times that people have to repeat the same information about beginning boating is increasing, and I think it would be a good idea to have something similar here.

• Greenie 1

I am a member on Melodeon.net forums. They have a series of pages of advice for beginners on the left hand side of the home page. I found these invaluable when starting out, and occasionally refer to them now.

I think that the number of times that people have to repeat the same information about beginning boating is increasing, and I think it would be a good idea to have something similar here.

I wonder if the increase in the number of these posts and thus the repetitition is linked to the increasing tension of these types of threads, and its down to "Here we go again- we answered that last week", so agree some information pages and useful links sounds a great idea

Isn't part of the learning process,exploration and discovery of information the journey as well as the facts though? I fear if you remove one of those elements then the answer will not be as whole.

I Agree, but Havnt we got a Frequently Asked Questions section. & A New to Boating section whith pinned topics though, and the search facility,

Maybe we all could just be more active in poking them in those directions

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

The way I see it is that the flow of knowledge should be handed along the line, I learn, I teach, I learn etc. In the spirit of tinternet forums I am happy to pass on why I have picked up. But I am also a form believer in the act of learning as well as the knowledge.

I have no problem with the question repeating.

I do have a problem when people don't take the advice on board and respond in a way that they are a bit miffed if they don't get the answers they want to hear, if you are going to ask experienced boaters stuff then at least take on board what is being said.

I then have even more of a problem when somebody else comes on citing that the 'newbie' is being made to feel unwelcome or they are being bullied when this is pointed out to them.

The thing is about questions regarding living on a boat is that there are a few good books out there about doing it and I'm not sure that a lot of people wanting to do it take the time to read one or two of these first.

Ok the advice on here is free but as some people find it can be incredibly contradictory.

How did pre internet era people do anything?

I'm guessing you got an idea in your head, did a bit of book reading or went on a course. Then just got on with it. Nowadays it's easy to get a fanciful idea, find a group of seasoned veterans online and ask if you're doing the right thing before investing your time money and effort.

To my mind, the first question was, 'is it possible live in a boat on the canals of Britain?' As there are already people doing it, the answer is clearly yes. The next was 'what are the limitations to living on a canal in Britain?' This took a fair bit of research but boils down to:

How much space do you need for your stuff?

are there limitations to boat size where you plan to travel?

Permanent mooring or tow path?

How to deal with {fuel, water, electric, toilet, heat, laundry}

Travel to work/ school

postal requirements

proximity to friends/family.

Once you have got an idea about these, the next question is 'Can I handle these limitations?'

Once you've decided you can make it work, the next step is finding (what you think is) a suitable boat.

No matter how much research you do, until you've gained the experience there will be stuff you're blissfully unaware you need to know/ deal with but as long as you've got a can do attitude, it'll be fine. (He says after having only a mild winter to contend with thus far)

Rob

• Greenie 2

To my mind, the first question was, 'is it possible live in a boat on the canals of Britain?' As there are already people doing it, the answer is clearly yes. The next was 'what are the limitations to living on a canal in Britain?' This took a fair bit of research but boils down to:

How much space do you need for your stuff?

are there limitations to boat size where you plan to travel?

Permanent mooring or tow path?

How to deal with {fuel, water, electric, toilet, heat, laundry}

Travel to work/ school

postal requirements

proximity to friends/family.

How much does it cost? / Is it cheaper than living in bricks and mortar?

Closely followed by...

Pumpout or cassette?