A hornet appears to have moved into my kitchen. And I've abandoned ship

Featured Posts

Try telling that to the millions of mankind who have died from malaria.I am not advocating mass extinction of anything, but this hysteria over one unwelcome visitor to BSP's boat is farcical.BSP's home, BSP's rules apply.

Malaria is caused by a protozoa, not an insect, the mosquito is just a vector.

I don't think the thread is hysterical but abandoning your boat when one virtually harmless insect flies into it Is. And killing things for no good reason is silly at best and immoral at worst.

As I said in an ealier post I thought living on a canal would lead people to appreciating wildlife not wanting to exterminate it.

And killing things for no good reason is silly at best and immoral at worst.

But there is a perfectly good reason to eliminate it. It is unwelcome and unwanted on BSP's boat.

I actively encourage wildlife into my garden, but at the same time have no hesitation in showing any rats the quickest way to the pearly gates.

For heavens sake its one pesky Hornet, I'm certain that if BSP swatted it into oblivion this would not bring about a catyclismic decline in the entire populus of this planet. I for one will continue to exercise my perogative and forceably eject,oust or kill anything buzzy or bitey that invades my space in much the same way they would to me.

I respect everybodys right to cuddle up to wasps, bees, hornets and mozzies as long as they respect my right to swipe the little blighters.

Phil

First they came for the insects, and I did not speak out because I am not an insect....

We have on this earth what is called the "food chain". All of us are part of it, however humble or grand our position on said chain. When one part of that food chain collapses, the rest of the food chain is in danger of collapsing. You can rant and rave at this fact all you want, and sputter whatever nonsense comes to your mind, but the fact of the matter is that what you wish for would have devastating consequences for all life on earth.

Seriously, do you have any idea how important flying insects are vis-a-vis the fact that they pollinate our food crops? Do you really think that, if Monsanto, for instance, were to genetically engineer a pollinating insect they would be interested in anything other than their own profit? Do you think Monsanto would care for even a millisecond if their creations stung you?

I don't know who Mr. Monsanto is but the sooner we get rid of the poxy snow leopards round here the better. Can't move for them

Too much hysteria, ever since life began on Earth evolution has meant that species become extinct with or without the intervention of man. Now I will do all that I can to defend, protect and promote the well being of all creatures (founder member of Hope Farm) but commonsense must prevail and no amount of pious spouting should prevent anyone from going about their lawful business of living a safe comfortable life in their own home.

Phil

I have been really saddened by the tone of this thread. The hymenoptera, bees wasps and ants , are a huge group of insects that are an essential part of our wildlife fauna. I thought that living close to nature on a canal would make people more sympathetic to these occasionally annoying insects. I always have a wasp nest somewhere in or around our house. They like to go under the floorboards in the front room but the attic and outside sheds are also favourite. The last time I was stung by a wasp was about thirty years ago. If you don' t flap about then they ignore you. I have had two hornet nests inthe garden and they were brilliant, watching them patrolling the hedges looking for food. I did get stung a few times when i foolishly tried to find the entrance to the nest in a dead stump but a hornets sting is less than a wasp or bee and soon faded.

As for spending £40 on pest control, as a lady in our village did, is simply a waste of money. Just wait to the end of the year and they abandon the nest.

Erm... hornets, wasps, horse flies, mosquitos or anything else in my home that can bite and sting me will get killed. Sorry if it offends you. But your concern at the tone of this thread is not going to persuade me to let them live.

PhilI

Too much hysteria, ever since life began on Earth evolution has meant that species become extinct with or without the intervention of man. Now I will do all that I can to defend, protect and promote the well being of all creatures (founder member of Hope Farm) but commonsense must prevail and no amount of pious spouting should prevent anyone from going about their lawful business of living a safe comfortable life in their own home.
Phil

Generally agree with you and I suppose in some ways I do on this, but included in the hysteria which buzzing insects create (I don't understand why) is the swat first ask questions later mentality which really is unnecessary. Either let it out through a window or catch it and let it out. Non of that interferes with anybodies right to "going about their lawful business of living a safe comfortable life in their own home."

Many laws interfere much more and we are bound to follow them.

Living in India in the 1970's, SWMBO comes into the living room and says "There is a Hornet in the baby's room". I jokingly replied, "If you can grab it by the wings it can't sting you!"

Next thing, SWMBO says "What do I do Now?"

Three lessons learned that day:

1. It is possible to catch a hornet by the wings.

2. When you are holding a Hornet by the wings it is impossible to open doors or windows

3. A hornet, having been held by the wings, when let go is as mad as hell!

Edited by Radiomariner

it's called a phobia, you insensitive pranny

Ever been stung 14 times by wasps in a matter of seconds? I have. I don't recommend it. Nor do I recommend the skin reaction afterwards that takes four weeks to heal. I'll deal with bugs in my own home however the heck I please.

:lol:

you can ask but I won't qualify such an ignorant and ridiculous question with an answer

Greenie, BSP.

We agree then : Phobia = an irrational or hysterical fear.

Don't call people names you insensitive pillock.

Ever been stung 14 times by wasps in a matter of seconds? I have.

AWW, is mommies likkle helper alwight.

We agree then : Phobia = an irrational or hysterical fear.

Don't call people names you insensitive pillock.

How unsympathetic-Have you ever seen anyone go into anaphylactic shock after being stung by a wasp- I have and it's frightening and potentially fatal.

Edited by Woodstock

BSP you have totally got my support, bugs and insects etc have no place in the home, I'm all in favour of obliteration.

Phil

Just to make sure I have been understood correctly I have never suggested they have a place in the home. I have mentioned Chris P who has had them in hisr home. I have said I can remove them with no harm to me or them. I have asked why if they can be removed with no harm to yourself or them there is a need to kill. That appears to be an unanswerable question as far as some are concerned.

I find that strange if you can't justify any action you take I think you need to consider the action more carefully.

No you didn't simply state anything of the sort. You stated no harm can come to the person. Which is clearly ridiculous nonsense.

You and Felshampo go live in a hornet commune in your happy phobia-free lives and enjoy never getting stung ever. And I'll do whatever I please inside my own home.

Apologise I wasn't aware you were only seven years old otherwise I'd might have toned down my original response to your posts.

Goading child.

I won't be drawn into any more of this silliness. Toodle-oo.

• Greenie 4

How unsympathetic-Have you ever seen anyone go into anaphylactic shock after being stung by a wasp- I have and it's frightening and potentially fatal.

Yes I have and used an epipen as well but with thousands (millions?) of people stung every year and only a few going into anaphyaxis you need to keep things in perspective. I agree anaphylactic shock is very nasty.

No you didn't simply state anything of the sort. You stated no harm can come to the person. Which is clearly ridiculous nonsense.

You and Felshampo go live in a hornet commune in your happy phobia-free lives and enjoy never getting stung ever. And I'll do whatever I please inside my own home.

Apologise I wasn't aware you were only seven years old otherwise I'd might have toned down my original response to your posts.

Goading child.

I won't be drawn into any more of this silliness. Toodle-oo.

You are right that was a bit infantile but the thread has descended into a pissing competition and it released my inner child, sorry.

All I really wanted to say was that if an insect (or spider) enters you home (boat) then try just opening a window or hatch and letting it go. If on the other hand you feel the need to kill it then that is up to you.

I think I have also had enough. Toodle-oo.

PhilI

Generally agree with you and I suppose in some ways I do on this, but included in the hysteria which buzzing insects create (I don't understand why) is the swat first ask questions later mentality which really is unnecessary. Either let it out through a window or catch it and let it out. Non of that interferes with anybodies right to "going about their lawful business of living a safe comfortable life in their own home."

Many laws interfere much more and we are bound to follow them.

Just to make sure I have been understood correctly I have never suggested they have a place in the home. I have mentioned Chris P who has had them in hisr home. I have said I can remove them with no harm to me or them. I have asked why if they can be removed with no harm to yourself or them there is a need to kill. That appears to be an unanswerable question as far as some are concerned.

I find that strange if you can't justify any action you take I think you need to consider the action more carefully.

You see; you propose "the third way". I think that generally "the third way" is hard to accept and adopt no matter how reasonable it is