Surface blasting the roof

Featured Posts

So the repaint has started, weather was kind yesterday and managed to get on.

I couldn't afford the time of travelling up to the yard and back, nor the expense, of shotblasting the roof and so decided to hire a Surface Blaster from Brandon Tool Hire. Took 6 hrs to do the roof and some of the gunnels, before the neighbours started giving dirty looks. Plus, I'd just about pulled all the teeth off the machine...

DSC05118_zpsaf771ad3.jpg

This was the before:

Before_zpsb87fa0ed.jpg

And the gunnels were in a right state. The sides are reasonably tidy though so Im just going to sand those. A right mess under the mushrooms and boiler chimney - lots of pitting.

DSC05121_zps6fedfc15.jpg

So six hours, which includes using 80grit flap discs on the mini grinder on the handrails and areas where the blaster couldnt reach and we got to this stage. A rough surface, which I then went over with the sander with 80grit just to even it all. The gunnels had several coats of paint and also non-slip on, so used the flap discs again on those which made a hell of a mess but was effective.

DSC05123_zps9277f5e2.jpg

Then it was a coat of Vactan, because I had a bottle laying around i got carried away while doing the areas around the vents/chimney. I'm auditioning for a part in Oliver at the next opportuniy.

DSC05123_zps9277f5e2.jpg

Managed to get the first coat of primer on roof and gunnels in hot hot sunshine and it went on lovely.

DSC05135_zpsd523e5df.jpg

All done,

DSC05142_zps08138057.jpg

And now residing in a big polythene tent while I wait for a dry clear day to continue......

tent_zps3784ed5a.jpg

I hired one of these last week to strip of all the old backing from the lower hull sides.

Had to leave a £150 deposit, be prepared, didn't pay extra for the discs, did a good job but it nearly killed me. Heavy tool v weak old man.

Machine actually packed up about 90% done so was only charged £26.00. It would have been about double that if all went well.The discs were not new when I got the tool. 110v pack included.

Would I recommend using one? Yes, I would if you have strong arms and lots of stamina.

To buy a double disc is £50 on ebay. This tool is a bargain.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

I think a lot of people might be interested in using one of these to strip the bitumen blacking off a boat prior to painting on two-pack epoxy as a cheaper alternative to grit blasting. However if it took you 6 hours to do your roof it might take 2 days to do the hull sides - and that's assuming a person can hold the weight of that thing all day.

Edited by blackrose

I think a lot of people might be interested in using one of these to strip the bitumen blacking off a boat prior to painting on two-pack epoxy. However if it took you 6 hours to do your roof it might take 2 days to do the hull sides - and that's assuming a person can hold the weight of that thing all day.

They will work OK on old, hard bitumen but if it's not old and hard they will tend to get gummed up.

A full set of wheels for one of thos machines is about £100, by the way.

Tim

They will work OK on old, hard bitumen but if it's not old and hard they will tend to get gummed up.

A full set of wheels for one of thos machines is about £100, by the way.

Tim

Yes, I guess so. But if it's not old and hard then it probably shouldn't be removed.

That was a neat little trick, by the way! :)

I'm a member of a different forum, and could make light hearted use of this myself, would you be able to link me to the tool?

On a different note:

Can anyone explain how this tool works, as it doesn't appear to have any 'blasting' capability??? It is just an abrasive drum?

Also, what's it actually called, I wouldn't mind looking at buying one, as I know a place I can resell it afterwards?

Many thanks all! :)

Edited by NorthwichTrader

That was a neat little trick, by the way! smile.png

I'm a member of a different forum, and could make light hearted use of this myself, would you be able to link me to the tool?

On a different note:

Can anyone explain how this tool works, as it doesn't appear to have any 'blasting' capability??? It is just an abrasive drum?

Also, what's it actually called, I wouldn't mind looking at buying one, as I know a place I can resell it afterwards?

Many thanks all! smile.png

http://www.cirrus-systems.co.uk/tools-and-accessories/rotating-blaster-discs

Tim

See post seven.

I thought I had explain this tool the best I could.

I wasn't charged or intended to be charged for the discs. I deliberately asked the question when hiring the tool.

Martyn

It's very unusual not to be charged for wear on a tool like that, the hire company could easily go out of business that way!

As I said, a full set of 6 or 7 for the dedicated machine is about £100, and it's quite easy to wreck them by less than careful use.

Tim

Sorry for the delay - been painting away.... two coats of primer, first undercoat done. This morning its on with a 50:50 undercoat/toplac....

I picked it up on a Friday morning and took it back before 12 on Saturday and it was £26 with 110vtransformer included . They don't charge extra for wear of the wheels - when i took it back it was totally shafted.

The discs were part used before i got it, covered in concrete. Its made of rubber 'stars', which are quite flexible so I would say it creates a sort of flailing effect. On each star point is a steel pin, on the top of which is a rounded 'bullet' which I think is something like tungsten. Gradually they wear, and eventually they break out of the rubber - i didnt ever have one ping off, but it goes without saying that gloves, mask and most importantly goggles are absolutely necessary. If you only used it on the flat, it would probably last longer - it seemed to be when I used it on the edges of the handrails when it damaged the discs more. SO much so that with only one set of discs, I managed to get the full 8.5m of roof done, but it was useless by the end and I didnt get the gunnels done using it.

Its actually a lot lighter than a lot of tools as its basically a small angle grinder body with a metal guard. Dragging the hose around is as much of a pain as the weight of it. Vibration is also quite low.

It can be quite aggressive so you need to go careful or it can leave a set of 'claw' marks. I can see a couple o fplaces where I dug in too hard and its going to leave a mark - hopefully now filled with primer and undercoat.

IIt's noisy, dirty (but less than shotblasting) and in my mind, it isnt as good as shotblasting properly. But it was 10% of the cost. My main motivation was a saving in time - it takes me 6hrs to the boat yard and the subsequent hours/days waiting for them to fit me in,then 6hrs back - so it was more convenient to do it on the mooring, where we live.

Enough of this - im 320gt sanding that undercoat and getting the next coat on!