vintage and classic narrowboats

Featured Posts

Thank you for doing that Steve. I for one really appreciate your efforts and I suspect the majority of people on this forum will also applaud your stance.

II am relieved to hear that YouTube are taking it seriously. I hope a lot of people read this thread and think twice before following the example of the OP.

He uses the name "Ian Hull" on YourTube

He uses the name Adam (the wanderer) on here and yet his boat name is "Jean & Terry The Wanderer"

No clue what his real name is (and no reason why we should) but whoever he is, by not removing that slide show he has not made himself any friends on this forum.

I've just spent an hour of my own time going through the video listing every image, the page it was taken from and who took the original photo. This was in response to YouTube's request for me to do this as part of our copyright claim. Why did I do this, and why am I posting here? Two reasons, one because our members deserve to have their copyright items, which were passed to us in good faith, protected to the best of our abilities and two, because every time this sort of thing happens another person decides they aren't going to share their images in public any more.

There is some wonderful stuff out there, I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of amazing images from various collections in recent years. Sadly a lot of it will never be seen online because a number of people can't resist stealing things and claiming them as their own. I quite understand why anyone who may have spent a lifetime taking photographs would want their efforts recognised and protected. It's not even about money; it is about respect and courtesy.

Well that's a pretty unequivocal view from the guardian of the pictures concerned. So now that Adam, Ian, Terry or whatever his name is, knows full well the consequences of his actions there's one last chance to be a gentleman and offer a sincere apology.

One hour ago, video removed;

Now

...reinstated

Breathtaking.

I'd imagine Adam still doesn't accept that copyright theft is any sort of a big deal and if he keeps on putting it back up after youtube delete it, they'll lose interest in the end and give up.

It could also be that he thinks by using a pseudonym he becomes anonymous and thereby exempts himself from copyright law.

MtB

Adam is a little boy, who has no friends in the real world, and has to get his self worth from looking at the view stats of his on-line postings. That the videos are not his does not bother him, he thinks that the world is free to him, because he has not life away from the Internet.

Edit to correct a spelling error

Edited by luctor et emergo

perhaps Adam/Ian could make amends and find a better way to show his appreciation for the boats he loves so much, by joining the Historic Narrow Boat Club. Details are here http://hnbc.org.uk/membership

In my mind that would go some way to redressing the balance!

Slighly OT but when I first got interested in n/boats I kept an electronic folder of hundreds of images (for - ahem, personal use) taken from various sources.

I look at this file again every now and again to see what inspired me.

Interestingly I've seen a few Canalworld members boats in my files.

This fella Adam does not deserve to be treated this way, like a second class citizen. Maybe he's made a mistake and should be respectfully made aware of that but in my opinion this treatment and personal comments are bang out of order. Junior and Luctor what makes you think you have the right to treat someone this way just because you know you will never meet them face to face.

• Greenie 1

This fella Adam does not deserve to be treated this way, like a second class citizen. Maybe he's made a mistake and should be respectfully made aware of that but in my opinion this treatment and personal comments are bang out of order. Junior and Luctor what makes you think you have the right to treat someone this way just because you know you will never meet them face to face.

You need to read the thread. He was asked nicely to take the stolen photos down, and responded by telling everyone to feck orf.

MtB

You won't meet Adam, because he doesn't leave his mum's house. He has a whole utube collection of stolen images and videos. He does not engage courteously when engaged courteously.

If you think this is treating somebody badly, you need to visit some other fora, we are very tame in these here parts..

Respectfully yours, etc

Edited by luctor et emergo

He's a persistent offender, who persistently offends and persistently pisses people off

Maybe he's made a mistake and should be respectfully made aware of that .....

He did, he was and he treated that with scorn.

Junior and Luctor what makes you think you have the right to treat someone this way just because you know you will never meet them face to face.

What makes you think that people are incapable of expressing their contempt in real life?

I don't know about Junior or L et E but I have never posted anything on this forum that I wouldn't say to someone's face.

Something bothers me a great deal about this thread.

The Historic Narrow Boat Club is an organisation that does a great deal to further the understanding of historic boats, to help save historic boats, to preserve the history of historic boats and to ensure wherever possible that our inland waterways are preserved in a condition that allows them to be navigated by the boats that were built to ply their trade upon them.

It is run by volunteers who give up a great deal of their time for the cause. Many of those volunteers already have their work cut out because they own a historic boat and everyone knows how time consuming it can be to try and keep ontop of the maintenance of an old craft.

All boaters ought to support their work. It is thanks to them highlighting areas that need dredging and pinch points in ancient lock walls that are moving and no longer allow the widest boats through safely that helps CRT to prioritise maintenance work in the worst areas. I have no idea how many members they have but lots of people happily pay their subscription to this organisation in the knowledge that they are doing a valuable job in helping to ensure the lovely old boats are preserved.

The OP suggests the pictures he stole are of boats he likes. If he really liked the historic boats then he would have removed hus Youtube video as soon as it was pointed out to him what he had done wrong. He didn't and so it means that a volunteer has to spend his time in reporting it to get it removed.

He obviously does not like those boats so much if he allows his actions to divert valuable volunteer hours away from preserving the boats.

That is the only good point made, thank you, I have taken them off

Nice one CR!

Might I reiterate my suggestion that Adam undoes the work he's made for HNBC's volunteers by supporting the club? Either by joining or by making a purchase from the shop? www.hnbc.org

Edited by Black Ibis
  • Greenie 1