vintage and classic narrowboats

Featured Posts

The time and effort taken to travel around the country over many years to take all those lovely pictures and compile them for our pleasure is truly awe inspiring.

Either that or he just lifted them from the internet and hasn't bothered crediting the original photographers.

Looking at the quality and the fact that some pictures have the HNBC watermark on them I'm quite convinced that he's taken pictures of images on his computer screen!

Yes,

I don't really want to be part of the "grumpy old men" set again, but in my view reuse of other people's photos without credit, (and presumably permission?) is simply unacceptable.

Sorry, but I really get quite annoyed by this.

..............Oh and the fact that generally the obviously superior "Grand Union" boats have failed the selection test! laugh.png

Edited by alan_fincher

Hi gang,

QUESTION

What is the general opinions of members on what makes a 'Boat' a 'Classic' or 'Vintage'.

EG, Age, if so how old does it have to be. Make, if so What makes, and does the company still egsist Model ect.

Just wondering !.

With respect to boats, I don't really recognise the terms Paul

Richard

With respect to boats, I don't really recognise the terms Paul

Richard

I've often seen in advertising A Classic Gentlemans Launch, or A well proven Vintage Design or some such thing,

(& No Carlt, I can't troll through past ads at the moment, I'm relying on jogging the memories in other members for confirmation of such terms).

So it just got me wondering !. What criteria does a boat meet to be labeled as such.

Ive probably got it all wrong again, but it won't stop me trying.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

(& No Carlt, I can't troll through past ads at the moment, I'm relying on jogging the memories in other members for confirmation of such terms).

Totally uncalled for and I don't see why you're trying to stir up an argument on a thread about old boats?

Moron!

Edited by carlt

I've often seen in advertising A Classic Gentlemans Launch, or A well proven Vintage Design or some such thing,

So it just got me wondering !. What criteria does a boat meet to be labeled as such.

Ive probably got it all wrong again, but it won't stop me trying.

Most of the time you can throw these descriptions in with the "much loved" and "much admired" boats you see as they are similarly meaningless.

In the automotive world "Vintage" and "Veteran" have specific meanings, but "Classic" is a word car enthusiasts will argue about all day long.

Whether there is a parallel in the boat world I don't know but I doubt it, and whether something is a "classic" or not is open to fierce debate, certainly in the narrowboat world. I think you could argue that a yacht such as a Vertue, or a motor boat like the Nelson 34 deserves to be called a classic but how many narrowboats could seriously be described such? To most people they all look the same. Happy to hear an opposing argument though as I haven't really thought it through

Most of the time you can throw these descriptions in with the "much loved" and "much admired" boats you see as they are similarly meaningless.

In the automotive world "Vintage" and "Veteran" have specific meanings, but "Classic" is a word car enthusiasts will argue about all day long.

Whether there is a parallel in the boat world I don't know but I doubt it, and whether something is a "classic" or not is open to fierce debate, certainly in the narrowboat world. I think you could argue that a yacht such as a Vertue, or a motor boat like the Nelson 34 deserves to be called a classic but how many narrowboats could seriously be described such? To most people they all look the same. Happy to hear an opposing argument though as I haven't really thought it through

Possibly right,

It was something I've never thought about in

the past, until seeing this Thread Title !.

I've owned what I consider old boats before, and some people may class them as Classics or Whatever.

The current boat I've got is only some 10year

old, From what some may consider a respectable builder, with Hundreds of boats built under there belt. BUT one of only 2 or 3 built with a Wheel House, with the very real probability that they will stop producing boats altogether, so would this make it a ???. Don't know.

Possibly right,

It was something I've never thought about in

the past, until seeing this Thread Title !.

I've owned what I consider old boats before, and some people may class them as Classics or Whatever.

The current boat I've got is only some 10year

old, From what some may consider a respectable builder, with Hundreds of boats built under there belt. BUT one of only 2 or 3 built with a Wheel House, with the very real probability that they will stop producing boats altogether, so would this make it a ???. Don't know.

Well now, I think a label such as 'much loved', 'much admired', is quite possibly correct in your case Paul ... but calling you a moron is only acceptable behaviour if the person calling you names is a mate. Either that or it is something Carl desires to achieve ..... ;)

Well now, I think a label such as 'much loved', 'much admired', is quite possibly correct in your case Paul ... but calling you a moron is only acceptable behaviour if the person calling you names is a mate. Either that or it is something Carl desires to achieve ..... wink.png

Hi ya,

We all have our off days I suppose.

I'm pretty thick skinned, (& Thick Headed @ times).

cheers.gif

Hi gang,

QUESTION

What is the general opinions of members on what makes a 'Boat' a 'Classic' or 'Vintage'.

EG, Age, if so how old does it have to be. Make, if so What makes, and does the company still egsist Model ect.

Just wondering !.

Although "classic" and "vintage" aren't used, people tend to call pre-1960ish narrow boats historic, which is the term most often used.

I agree with the rest of them above. I've never seen the terms 'classic' or 'vintage' used to describe a narrowboat (let alone a widebeam!)

'Historic' generally means a boat originally constructed for freight. 'Ex-working boat' is another commonly used term but this could apply to ex-hire boats too.

MtB

Hi ya All,

Yes in fairness my Enquiry was in reference to 'Boats' in General, not necessarily NB, or WB specificly, But fully take on board what you all say.

Cheers gang.

Appart from this thread ofcourse, there has been some references to 'Vintage' NBs before, I think.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38492#entry696219

The pictures of our two boats are lifted without acknowledgement from the HNBC website. I suspect the rest are from the same source.

lifted seem it bit much. sorry if you are unhappy i was just looking on the internet for pictures of boats that i liked because i am ready to paint mine. and right or wrong any pictures you put on the internet you lose all copy right if you would like me to take them off i will do

thank you

Adam

and right or wrong any pictures you put on the internet you lose all copy right

No. Suggest you read this http://www.ipo.gov.uk/c-notice-201401.pdf

Any picture put on the internet still belongs to the copyright owner unless they've agreed otherwise.

People like you just don't seem to respect that and will copy pictures without checking.

You could have at least referenced where the pictures came from rather than pass them off as your own work which is what you have done by putting them on Youtube with the standard Youtube copyright settings.

Edited by IanM
  • Greenie 1

lifted seem it bit much. sorry if you are unhappy i was just looking on the internet for pictures of boats that i liked because i am ready to paint mine. and right or wrong any pictures you put on the internet you lose all copy right if you would like me to take them off i will do

thank you

Adam

What absolute rubbish! Whatever gave you that idea?

Carlt

ref earlier post,

I don't quite know what prompted your reply & name calling to my earlier post, but can assure you no offense was intended, and apologize if any was taken.

Truly Sorry Carlt.

Feel free to PM me to tair a strip off me if you wish. Unless a public flogging suits you better.

As far as me being a moron goes, well, you obviously know me so well.