Satellite

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Apologies if this has been covered before, my search hasn't given me the answers I need.

I'm on the Peak Forest, Freeview with a boosted aerial is awful, barely a signal on the whole of the canal. I'm planning to spend some time up here but would really like to watch t.v. from time to time.

Someone told me that if you have satellite, you are guaranteed a signal everywhere, provided that there isn't a tree or something in the way of the signal. There are lots of trees on this canal, but also quite a few open sections. Is what he said true?

I'm tempted by the thought of this but have little (zero is probably more accurate) knowledge of these things. So I have some questions:

First, the handset for my Cello 12v t.v. has buttons for 'Freeview', 'radio' and 'UK Sat' at the top. Is UK Sat satellite? If so, does that mean that I can simply attach the lead from the satellite dish to the t.v., press UK Sat and I'm away?

Or will I need a box of some description as well and if so, are the boxes 240v? (only have 12v on board).

Finally, if there responses from the above are favourable I'll probably get one, but don't have a huge bank to break. Anyone recommend an inexpensive one?

Many thanks.

Someone told me that if you have satellite, you are guaranteed a signal everywhere, provided that there isn't a tree or something in the way of the signal. There are lots of trees on this canal, but also quite a few open sections. Is what he said true?

Yes, if you have direct line of sight to the bit of sky where the satellite is you will get a signal.

First, the handset for my Cello 12v t.v. has buttons for 'Freeview', 'radio' and 'UK Sat' at the top. Is UK Sat satellite? If so, does that mean that I can simply attach the lead from the satellite dish to the t.v., press UK Sat and I'm away?

Or will I need a box of some description as well and if so, are the boxes 240v? (only have 12v on board).

If your TV has a built in freesat receiver you won't need a separate box. A quick google search tells me that some Cello 12v TVs have this function, so if yours has a 'UK Sat' button you are most likely good to go.

Maplins has cheap dishes and they sometimes have them in Aldi. You can find a good selection of cheap dishes on Amazon.

Apologies if this has been covered before, my search hasn't given me the answers I need.

I'm on the Peak Forest, Freeview with a boosted aerial is awful, barely a signal on the whole of the canal. I'm planning to spend some time up here but would really like to watch t.v. from time to time.

Yes, the dish needs to be able to see the satellite without any obstruction such as tree branches. The satellite is roughly bearing 145 degrees at just over 20 degrees elevation. Provided your dish can see the satellite, you will get a perfect picture everywhere (in England/Wales). Smaller dishes are (counter-intuitively) better since their alignment is less critical so such things as the boat rocking will have less effect.

Only thing you need to line up the dish is a good compass and a satellite meter. Both will cost under £30.

I would consider whether you need a meter. We don't, because we can see the TV screen whilst adjusting the dish, and the i button on the TV shows signal strength and quality bars. Only if the TV has no indication of signal strength or you can't see the screen whilst adjusting the dish,mis a meter necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a quick look on Ebay there are lots of 60cm dish kits for around £25 delivered. They are described as 'zone 2'. Is that what I need?

A Zone 2 dish will be fine on the UK inland waterways.

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a quick look on Ebay there are lots of 60cm dish kits for around £25 delivered. They are described as 'zone 2'. Is that what I need?

It will work but is quite large. Better to get a zone 1 dish, smaller and less critical for focussing. We have a zone 1 dish and always get 100% signal strength and quality. The larger dishes are for when you are further from the satellite footprint eg Scotland.

I would also try to get a dish with an offset LNB. In other words, an arm coming out below the dish on which is the gizmo that actually receives the signal and to which you connect the cables. An offset dish typically is correctly aligned for elevation when the dish is vertical, which is very easy to eyeball.

A dish with the LNB in the centre of the dish has to be pointed up at the correct angle and, with curved boat roofs, this means it probably has to be adjusted for elevation each time you set it up

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a quick look on Ebay there are lots of 60cm dish kits for around £25 delivered. They are described as 'zone 2'. Is that what I need?[/quot

I bought a sky dish off e bay for just over £11 which is ideal for free sat. Just point it roughly towards the south and if you have some help with someone watching the tv for you the satellite is quite easy to find

I've checked and unfortunately, although the remote has a 'UK sat' button the t.v. itself doesn't support satellite. So it looks like my only chance is to buy a box. I have an inverter at the other end of the boat but using it would involve trailing an extension lead down the length of the boat, far from ideal. Do I have any other options, is maybe a 12v box available?

There is a good chance that your tv doesn't have the SAT built in to it... so a seperate receiver will be needed... so dish on the roof, cable through to the sat box, which in turn is connected to the tv...get the dish lined up (meter n compass) and it'll be working all over the country... It will NOT work if there are trees or a tall biulding knocking out the signal which is to the south east...so as long as YOU moor the boat with a line of sight it should work...

Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:05 PM, said:

I've checked and unfortunately, although the remote has a 'UK sat' button the t.v. itself doesn't support satellite. So it looks like my only chance is to buy a box. I have an inverter at the other end of the boat but using it would involve trailing an extension lead down the length of the boat, far from ideal. Do I have any other options, is maybe a 12v box available?

Sky used to do 12V boxes, made by Pace, they are no longer in manufacture but sometimes pop up on eBay or caravanning/motorhome forums.

They were called 'Javelin'

http://gmsatellites.co.uk/Pace-Javelin-1000-230v-12v-DC-Sky-satellite-Mini-box-boat-caravan-motorhome

I note they refer to needing a 'regulated' 12V supply which could be an issue on a boat -

There is one on eBay here. Though I see it doesn't come with a 12V lead but they are easily obtainable.

Found a 12v lead for it too.

Edited by The Dog House

Sky used to do 12V boxes, made by Pace, they are no longer in manufacture but sometimes pop up on eBay or caravanning/motorhome forums.

They were called 'Javelin'

http://gmsatellites.co.uk/Pace-Javelin-1000-230v-12v-DC-Sky-satellite-Mini-box-boat-caravan-motorhome

I note they refer to needing a 'regulated' 12V supply which could be an issue on a boat -

There is one on eBay here. Though I see it doesn't come with a 12V lead but they are easily obtainable.

They don't need a regulated supply, that was one reason they were so popular. Ours has worked happily from the boat's 12v supply for 10 years now.

Keeping Up, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:

They don't need a regulated supply, that was one reason they were so popular. Ours has worked happily from the boat's 12v supply for 10 years now.

Interesting I was just noting what the spec. on that link said (my red)

Quote -

The Pace 1000 Minibox is a scaled down version of the Standard Sky Digibox, measuring only 180mm x 270mm x 29mm and weighing less than 1kg. powered by either 240v mains supply or from a regulated 12v DC power supply it is ideally suited for use in boats, caravans or mobile homes.

I've had a look on Ebay, there are quite a few options. I'm finding it baffling though. Every description is loaded with acronyms I don't understand. Particular reference is made to LNB whatever that is, is that something that has to be bought separately? Basically I'm looking for something around £50 quid if possible that just turns up in a box, can be easily rigged up by a technological idiot (me), and will work. I don't need any features other than being able to watch t.v. and listen to the radio. A very basic one I guess, bit like me, when anything has a wire attached to it.

Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:47 PM, said:Ricco1, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:47 PM, said:

I've had a look on Ebay, there are quite a few options. I'm finding it baffling though. Every description is loaded with acronyms I don't understand. Particular reference is made to LNB whatever that is, is that something that has to be bought separately? Basically I'm looking for something around £50 quid if possible that just turns up in a box, can be easily rigged up by a technological idiot (me), and will work. I don't need any features other than being able to watch t.v. and listen to the radio. A very basic one I guess, bit like me, when anything has a wire attached to it.

The LNB is the Low noise block, its the bit on the end of the arm that 'collects' the signal from the dish.

wall-mounted-sky-satellite-dish-installa

They normally have more than one connector on them these days in order that you can connect more than one receiver or to use with a recording device such as sky+ but work fine with just one connected.

Edited by The Dog House

A quick eBay search for 12v satellite brought up this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-65cm-Satellite-Dish-12v-receiver-and-cables-Caravan-Camping-/161031398236?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item257e38235c

A kit with receiver, dish, signal meter, 12v power lead. All you need is the cable connection to your TV, probably a Scart lead, and a method of lashing the dish to a pole.

Just some more techno-babble to confuse you and IMHO as well.

The Ebay one above has a folding LNB arm - which is one of my recommendations (unless you leave the dish up all the time.

I don't reckon the SKY pattern dish as I find it's a pig to set up - the vertical and horizontal adjustments wander as you tighten it up. I suggest the Triax 48cm is better made.

No idea about the receiver - BUT it will be a Free To Air set. that means:-

You only get a Now-and-Next programme guide

You may miss some of the Free to View channels

A Freesat (or a used Sky box with a s/h card) give you both a 7-14 day programme guide AND all the free channels. Many are dross but you might miss some of the mainstream channels - depends on your tastes.

Some of the cheapo boxes have given trouble (several threads on this forum)

Depending on your viewing, you may want to record programs - so consider a recorder; often available for only a tenner or more Here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Digi-Box-Pace-3100-/321420808220?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item4ad62c501c#ht_66wt_1040

Or a humax FoxSat eceiver or recorder.

Maplin have this;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/camping-and-caravanning-satellite-suitcase-system-a60gy

sometimes Lidl offer the same for less

Comag recivers are generally OK

It is not Sky so you wont get a full programmme guide and may need to rearrange channels to suit but it is 12 volt and apart from the long defunct Javelin Sky ones are not.