Bollington

Featured Posts

And of course Swallow, it was lovely meeting everyone and has made me more determined to find out about my great grandfather, Josiah Preston

DSC_0303_zpswshsra8s.jpg

DSC_0302_zpsittjkind.jpg

It was the third one down. I did apologise, and he very nicely blamed the boat coming the other way.

That would be Badger, owned by a forum member!

I think my black Labrador made an.indelible impression by pinching Badger's owners dogs ball! (he did bring it back, much to the other dog's amusement)

Went to Bollington on Sunday. Good to see a couple of wooden boats. What is the history of Joel. Very strange conversion, not very wide at the stern. Visiting the Macclesfield reminded me of the Bird in hand at Kent Green. Does anyone have a photo from the 70's. We moored outside for a few nights in 1976 iirc. My old Nicholsons guide describes it as an unmolested pub with entertainment from the conversation in the bar. That certainly was true and the landlady was the bus conductor on the bus to Macclesfield market.

Carl

Went to Bollington on Sunday. Good to see a couple of wooden boats. What is the history of Joel. Very strange conversion, not very wide at the stern.

Carl

Joel was originally built as a horse boat in 1918, rebuilt as a motor in 1929 & subsequently rebuilt/ replaced / resembled in 1946 -48. This boat has very fine lines & swims very well, it's now powered by a wonderful Kelvin F4 Paraffin engine, making it one of the fastest narrowboats on the cut. It's owned & operated by the good folk of Ashton Packet Boat Company. For more details see:- http://www.brocross.com/canal/joel.htm

I'm not very adept at posting photo's on here, but about a month ago I posted a good photo of Joel on the "Weaver Navigation" Facebook page.

Cheers, Brian

We were on our,way back from Bosley Services (Sunday evening spent doing washing!) and it was a real pleasure seeing the boats on the move - seeing them navigate the Swing Bridge at 47 was a joy (wish it had been 49 - the automatic one) and then to see Maria on tow in Macclesfield - weekend complete!

. What is the history of Joel. Very strange conversion, not very wide at the stern.

Carl

What's "very strange" about it?

Joel isn't wide at the stern , or anywhere else for that matter, 'cos it's a *Narrow* boat and can get to places like Huddersfield on the Huddersfield *Narrow* Canal,something that many wider *Narrow* boats can't do. laugh.png

There was a potted history of Joel on a display board atop the cabin on Sunday

Visiting the Macclesfield reminded me of the Bird in hand at Kent Green. Does anyone have a photo from the 70's. We moored outside for a few nights in 1976 iirc. My old Nicholsons guide describes it as an unmolested pub with entertainment from the conversation in the bar. That certainly was true and the landlady was the bus conductor on the bus to Macclesfield market.

Carl

I often frequented the Bird in Hand in 1976. I am sure you are confused about the bus conductor though. ...................................

Edited to add: thinking about it it is probably me who is confused, but wasn't it Sandbach market?

Edited by PhilR

I was trying to post a photo but cannot get bucket to work. bilth I used to be a wooden boat builder so I do know what a narrowboat looks like. It is strange because its top two planks start to come in at the front of the engine ole. By the back cabin they have come in by at least a foot. This does not affect the swim as it is above the waterline. The only thing it affects is the width of the cabin and therefore the lack of tumblehome i.e none therfore odd looking cabin sides.

As for PhilR I am sure the bus left from the car park and the landlady took the money but cannot remember which market or which day of the week it was.

Still the question, does anyone have a photo.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Bird in Hand possibly the last pub on the canal system to do top-ups, the landlady went down to cellar with a large jug and on return went round the pub topping up

the glasses of those in a particular group and if you were lucky others as well,whoever was in the chair paid for the lot.

Happy Days. CKP

First went there in 1961, when Hotel boating, happy days indeed, I sometimes wish I had been born 50 years earlier, no continous moorer's, hedges you could see over and just a open cut.