Diesel stove Pros & Cons

Felshampo

Featured Posts

Is there a thread discussing the pros and cons of using a diesel stove instead of a solid fuel one? I did a search but couldn't find one.

When I bought Badger it had a Bubble stove fitted. It was burning yellow and needed cleaning. A week in industrial grade caustic soda wouldn't shift the krud.

Pulled the whole thing out and fitted a brand new multi fuel stove. Sold the Bubble for spares for more than I paid for the new stove.

Now I am happy with something I know and understand.

Just for balance, I understand that Bubbles are good, provided they are kept clean. Mine was too far gone and a new pot was £135 plus.

George ex nb Alton retired

Is there a thread discussing the pros and cons of using a diesel stove instead of a solid fuel one? I did a search but couldn't find one.

There have been lots of discussions. But the divide is almost as great as the pumpout / cassette toilet debate.

Each will suit a different user.

My set up is pump out and diesel stove, diesel central heating, electric water heating and electric fan heater and convector heater.

But then we are in a marina with low electric price and do not often go cruising.

Pump out because it gives me a lot of leeway about when to pumpout. With a cassette it is either empty or full. Work can interfer.

Diesel heating when really cold since the fuel is out of sight and does not create dust.

THe additional cost of both my heating and toilet arrangements are over ridden by the convenience.

Others may have cost as their foremost reasoning.

So solid fuel is usually cheaper, and cassette is also cheaper than pumpout.

Electric is cheaper than both heating systems.

We have a diesel cooking stove, but then again we are strange as we also have a pumpout lo anda hydraulic drive, O and no gas. So now its official

Yep, Another vote for the above here,

Had A Diesel Stove for many a year on my last boat, Loved it,miss it. IMO miles better, miles more convenient, &Frees up the Gas locker for Donuts & Cider Storage !.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61675#entry1177354

Edit to add a link to a earlier Diesel cooking thread !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I have a solid fuel Rayburn Royal that also heats radiators in the bedrooms and wheelhouse plus hot water tanks we also of course cook on it during colder weather, electric cooker during summer. I f it is bitterly cold there is also a solid fuel Tradition stove in the saloon.

I burn almost exclusively wood, I get off cuts from a furniture factory every week and it just costs me transport plus Christmas cases of beer.

This is added to with a delivery of logs plus whatever is going from other sources

However I am now rapidly approaching my 3 score and ten and the weekly trip, the lugging bags on board plus splitting and stacking logs is likely to become too much sometime soon. Add to that the Rayburn is about 50 odd years old and the tradition stove has a (welded up) crack across the top methinks it might be time for new kit and an easier life.

I will look forward to the rest of the thread with interest

fat finger edit

Edited by John V

I know someone who had a diesel, but due to the cost of running it, changed to coal. Coal fires take more effort to start up etc though. (and more dust), but I would go for coal over diesel any day, just for the ambience factor:)

I use a coal fire at home. I have a pile of logs once a year and bags of coal in the shed. It is nice once it is lit but it takes a lot of effort. I don't fancy the idea of having a roof full of wood and coal dust everywhere in the boat, when I get one. The convenience of a diesel fired stove appeals but they must have thier downside, otherwise they would be more common.

must have thier downside, otherwise they would be more common.

The reason they are not more common is people almost always choose the cheapest option in most things that do a similar job, they will of course make other arguments but it's largely that they don't want to pay the higher capital and running costs, especially when many get almost free fuel and who can blame them? especially if they are live aboard and use the stove a lot.

At the yard here there are four liveaboards who heat by Diesel two have bubble stoves one has a Erbespacher (the radiator type) and one has an air blower type (make unknown). The only one unhappy with the system is the one with the air blower type. The two with Bubble stoves are the most enthusiastic.

I must admit I dislike the look of the Bubble although they seem to do the job very well. I have been looking at Franco Belge but all the ones I have seen so far don't have a boiler so wouldn't suit. but they look fantastic.

A boater I know has a diesel fired Squirrel which blows out in windy conditions. A BIG drawback!

Is this a common problem and does anybody have a solution please? Ideally a fix known to work, rather than helpful/well-meaning guesses please!!

Many thanks,

MtB

Hi Mike my bubble in the bedroom has a gas cowl on the chimney and it never blows out maybe doesnt look great but painted black it is not to bad

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Do you know it makes a difference? I mean did it used to blow out before you fitted the gas cowl, and now it doesn't?

Which gas cowl do you have? My Gas Safe Register 'bible' shows about 25 different approved patterns!

Cheers,

MtB

Hi Mike, we had a 8kw Glembring drip feed diesel heater on our last boat and it was awesome. We had a "H" flue termination and never had any problem with blow back etc in stormy weather. I cannot say if a normal cruising cowl would have been as good as we went for the "H" cowl as it was reccomended for windy/exposed sites.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

I'm getting deja vu now. I think I've asked this before and you said much the same last time too!

MtB

Hi Mike

My Father has a diesel stove on his boat I think it's a Dickinson, that is a drip fed and has been fitted with a H cowl from new. It has been super reliable over the last 6 years and never blows out. They cruise about 6 months of the year and cook on the stove.

Hope the info helps.

Cheers

Andrew

I have a solid fuel Rayburn Royal that also heats radiators in the bedrooms and wheelhouse plus hot water tanks we also of course cook on it during colder weather, electric cooker during summer. I f it is bitterly cold there is also a solid fuel Tradition stove in the saloon.

I burn almost exclusively wood, I get off cuts from a furniture factory every week and it just costs me transport plus Christmas cases of beer.

This is added to with a delivery of logs plus whatever is going from other sources

However I am now rapidly approaching my 3 score and ten and the weekly trip, the lugging bags on board plus splitting and stacking logs is likely to become too much sometime soon. Add to that the Rayburn is about 50 odd years old and the tradition stove has a (welded up) crack across the top methinks it might be time for new kit and an easier life.

I will look forward to the rest of the thread with interest

fat finger edit

If you still like your Rayburn, remember they do a Oil version of the Royal and they are fairly cheap on ebay so you could try without much work. It will however cost you to run.

Hi Mike

My Father has a diesel stove on his boat I think it's a Dickinson, that is a drip fed and has been fitted with a H cowl from new. It has been super reliable over the last 6 years and never blows out. They cruise about 6 months of the year and cook on the stove.

Hope the info helps.

Cheers

Andrew

The only time I have had a problem is if the Dickinson is on very low and we go through a bridge hole in very windy conditions or even in a deep lock in strong winds, If its burning a little bit higher its OK

Thanks Peter.

Do you know it makes a difference? I mean did it used to blow out before you fitted the gas cowl, and now it doesn't?

Which gas cowl do you have? My Gas Safe Register 'bible' shows about 25 different approved patterns!

Cheers,

MtB

Hi Mike yes it did used to blow out on lowest setting the gas cowl was purchased from the builders centre little aluminium one with downward facing slots very cheap 5-6 squids if I remember right, fits very neat on the old chimbley. As bubbles are very clean dont think I have ever cleaned the flue the cowl has never sooted up and this is the second one as my previous boat had a bubble too

Peter

If you still like your Rayburn, remember they do a Oil version of the Royal and they are fairly cheap on ebay so you could try without much work. It will however cost you to run.

Thanks , yes I had been looking at conversion kits but had discounted them as my Rayburn would require quite a bit of work to get it to a good enough condition to convert.....making it an expensive option.

As I understand it the basic flow system used by the Rayburns requires the thinner heating oil and doesn't like diesel unless they have been converted to the blown system which I understand to be noisy

I don't know about the more modern versions.

The other problem with replacing the Rayburn is the weight. It would have to come through the skylight and would need a crane.

(that's how the original came in about 15 years ago)

Getting the old one out is not a problem as if necessary it could be broken up (it's only worth about what the crane would cost)

but thanks for the idea maybe I should research a bit more

For what its worth, I have recently ordered a oil conversation kit for my Rayburn No 1.

For years I have had solid fuel for the Rayburn, but the glamour of wood cutting, coal heaving and dusting is wearing thin..

Hope to have it installed before end of summer.

For what its worth, I have recently ordered a oil conversation kit for my Rayburn No 1.

For years I have had solid fuel for the Rayburn, but the glamour of wood cutting, coal heaving and dusting is wearing thin..

Hope to have it installed before end of summer.

Is that the version that uses diesel ? Pity (for me that is) that you are not further ahead and I could pick your brains about noise etc boat.gif