Your opinion would be welcomed

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Greetings to you all.

I've been out tyre kicking today, visited Venetian and Aquaduct marinas. This one at Aquaduct seemed (to me) pretty good, although it's cruiser, not trad and only has a 33hp engine.

I would appreciate your comments regarding it's suitability as a liveaboard.

Depending on your feedback, I might have a couple more questions.

You might have to search the hard way. I'm rubbish with links.sad.png

http://www.aqueductbrokerage.co.uk/index.php/boats-for-sale/boat/velocity_owl

Cheers,

T.

Yep, that's a boat

Come one then, give us a clue - what are you looking for, what do you think about the boat, what do you like, what do you hate, do you love her, or what?

Richard

If you want opinions, not a carefully considered analysis, I wouldn't have a boat with a Vetus engine if I was looking in that price bracket.

Also, is it just me or is that engine a long way back ie further astern than it needs to be?

OK. I'm an idiot and I admit it. I should really of tacked this on to the end of my original thread.

Below is what I originally had in mind, so the big differences are the stern and engine size also the layout isn't quite as I would like, but I should imagine it's relatively easy to move stuff around if you're fairly handy.

What I really wanted to know is, does the price, year of build and spec seem about right?

Trad stern with standard layout (rear bedroom forward saloon) Length over 57 but less than 60 ft.(I was born in Mirfield and would like to be able to get down the Calder & Hebble without sinking or ripping the rudder off)

Diesel central heating + solid fuel stove.

Shower, rather than bath.

Windows rather than portholes.

Gas cooker

Pullman Dinette.

42hp (ish) engine for UK and maybe French rivers.

If you want opinions, not a carefully considered analysis, I wouldn't have a boat with a Vetus engine if I was looking in that price bracket.

Also, is it just me or is that engine a long way back ie further astern than it needs to be?

I'd like a bit of both, to be honest.

The position of the engine seems ok to me, but I don't have the experience to be certain. The diesel generator is installed in the same 'hole' above and forward of the engine.

Edited by Retardedrocker

I should imagine it's relatively easy to move stuff around if you're fairly handy.

Yeah, I thought that. I found it's easy to pull stuff apart and make a mess. It's hard to wield big sheets of stuff and do serious construction without a dedicated place to work

I would say you have a pretty good idea of what to look for in a boat, time to go and see a load of boats, including ones completely opposite to what you think you want. Put yourself in the market and eventually a boat will find you

Richard

Personally, I'd look at a load of boats, eventually you'll find the right one. Then live with it for a while. Those things about her that don't make sense eventually do, or they really don't make sense and you absolutely know what you want to change

Turning a boat into a 'project' boat is incredibly easy and unproductive...

Richard

To be honest when you walk on the one thats for you it tells you, it feels right, or at least thats what happened to me. Sadly that boat not available when I had the money, but heh no probs had clone created!!

To be honest when you walk on the one thats for you it tells you, it feels right, or at least thats what happened to me. Sadly that boat not available when I had the money, but heh no probs had clone created!!

We once followed a couple down the Trent and Mersey who had a new boat built to the exact same layout as a hire boat they had previously hired.

They were very happy with what they had experienced on hiring and just wanted to replicate it....sounded good to me.

you say in your opening post that it is a cruiser and not a trad, so is this good or bad in your opinion. You are the one who will live with this choice so don't compromise if you are afer a trad stop loooking at cruiser sterns as it will confuse you further! Seems a nice boat inside and i know nothing about engines! We had a wish list when we got our boat and to be honest not every box was ticked mainly because when we 1st stepped on the boat that is now ours it just "felt right". You will know when it is the right one for you!

We once followed a couple down the Trent and Mersey who had a new boat built to the exact same layout as a hire boat they had previously hired.

They were very happy with what they had experienced on hiring and just wanted to replicate it....sounded good to me.

Hah - we bought a hire boat!

Richard

Hah - we bought a hire boat!

Richard

Indeed. But this couple explained it to us like they had so much enjoyed their hire boat holiday and the boat they hired they wanted a New boat just like it.....

A bit soppy perhaps but I understood where they were coming from.

If you plan 12 months a year use out of your boat, or intending to live aboard, do not look for/at a cruiser stern, it is wasted living/storage space.

If you are looking at seasonal boater use ie March to October then winters, then yes, cruiser Sterns are viable.

Believe me, I move boats all year round, and I hate that booking that has december/ cruiser stern as a combination .....there's nowhere to shelter, no possible stove heat...and the living quarters are smaller than they could be.

I've seen people say before to avoid a Vetus engine, what are their vices/problems?

There's nothing particularly wrong with the engine range but in marinised use, compared to other "popular" units, for example, Beta, Barrus Shire, Isuzu which never seem to give problems, you hear the name Vetus too often in this context, well I do anyway.

This is, of course, purely anecdotal and no doubt others will give an entirely opposing view.

One thing is indisputable that is the shocking price of Vetus spares, but I believe there are ways round this if you can be bothered.

Personally I think that bow shape is awful!

But each to their own.

I was so taken up with checking out what it had and how it was laid out that I didn't step back an actually look at the shape.

Mind you,if I had stepped back I would have ended up pretty damp. laugh.png

Cheers,

T.