Holding tank

Featured Posts

Having now taken delivery of our new (old) circa 1980 Peter Nicholls built narrowboat we have started on the upgrade and application of some tlc. Basically the boat is fine but the shower/toilet area is compromised in that the size of the shower tray is restricted by the holding tank. The latter is not currently in use and we have no intention of bringing it into service so the question is how easy will it be to pull it out? I imagine it is of steel construction and if so would it be welded in situ or will it be possible just to heave it out, after removing the linings that cover it of course!

I appreciate this is really a case of have a look and see for yourself but there might be someone out there who has worked on a similar issue and on a boat by this builder.

Thanks

Colin

It is a case of look and see.

Some boats actually used the baseplate as the bottom of the tank,

Some boats the tank was an integral structural part of the boat

Some boats purley had the tank sitting on bearers on/under the floor.

Some boats had plastc tanks

Some boats had steel tanks

The 'good' boats didnt have one at all.

It's the thing about owning a cassette. When you are lugging it along a muddy towpath through the rain to a stinky elsan point, you really have to believe you have the 'best' system

Richard

I do take your point, Richard, but as things stand we are restricted to a 24 inch square shower tray. It is not the hugest of deals as we do not "live in" but if that could be improved to 24 x 30 even it would help.

Life, and especially this boating one, is a compromise eh!

I do take your point, Richard, but as things stand we are restricted to a 24 inch square shower tray. It is not the hugest of deals as we do not "live in" but if that could be improved to 24 x 30 even it would help.

Life, and especially this boating one, is a compromise eh!

Do you know what the tank is made of? That's going to be a big factor in making a plan

Richard

Well, just walk jauntily along with it pretending your off to the office to work and its your brief case that your carrying in which amongst other things, is your lunch. In a way it does of course. mellow.png

Edited by bizzard

Hi- Ours was under the bed so not sure if this is relevent. We pumped it out to make sure it was empty. We didn't know if it was welded or bolted to the floor- but fortunately it wasnt. It wasn't in great condition though. We lined all around it with a tarpaulin and lifted it out (quickly), wrapped it in the tarpaulin and taped it up, We have a friend with a builders yard and it went with his rubbish

Don't start cutitng it..angle grinder etc...unless you are totally sure..there is no 'loo-gas' left in it...

Even a small amount of methane in a closed tank..can make a 'Boom !!'..

I know.......

What was/is in the tank now?

Remember all that, will have to be carried out through the rest of the boat.

It's one thing thinking about removal, but a brave job doing it!

Steel tanks have been known to be in good condition, even after years of service, if built into the structure, will have to be cut up, in place.

Good luck

Bod

Thanks all for the info and the humour smile.png

By a process of deduction my reckoning is that it is of steel construction, as was the original shower tray which was found beneath the "new" plastic one. On the basis that the old steel shower tray was not welded in I guess there is reason to believe the holding tank will be the same (ever the optimist). If it is welded there will be a problem and angle grinders?

Just a thought, but does not the boat building company Peter Nicholls still exist but now only constructing wide beams? If that is right then an email might get the question answered.

Colin

I've done two recently.

One was a free standing stainless steel affair that had rotted at the welds. That was a horrible job, as it had to be cut in half to remove and both halves weighed almost thirty kilos each!

The other was built in and had to be cut out and then cleaned... oh dear, that was worse!

I don't ever want to do another one sick.gif

Well, removal of the holding tank is a no go as it would mean pulling the boat apart. It has been disused for a while but looks sound enough...from they outside. What, if any, steps can I take to stop the thing corroding from the inside out. Obviously I cannot paint it and using something like waxoyl will be difficult if not impossible. Would emptying some old engine oil into the tank help? I have certainly heard this as an option for protecting disused tanks before but know not if it works.

Thanks

Colin

Well, removal of the holding tank is a no go as it would mean pulling the boat apart. It has been disused for a while but looks sound enough...from they outside. What, if any, steps can I take to stop the thing corroding from the inside out. Obviously I cannot paint it and using something like waxoyl will be difficult if not impossible. Would emptying some old engine oil into the tank help? I have certainly heard this as an option for protecting disused tanks before but know not if it works.

Thanks

Colin

Flush all the oxygen out with a CO2 extinguisher then cap it off?

Flush all the oxygen out with a CO2 extinguisher then cap it off?

That is an approach I have never heard of before. Unfortunately I am not convinced that I will easily be able to cap the tank off so it is probably a none starter. Are there any alternatives?