Recommend Insurer

mark99

Featured Posts

Renewal has gone up (Saga) for no reason. Can anyone recommend an insurer to get a competitive quote?

Not necessarilty the cheapest but one that is no fuss when it come to a claim.

Renewal has gone up (Saga) for no reason. Can anyone recommend an insurer to get a competitive quote?

Not necessarilty the cheapest but one that is no fuss when it come to a claim.

Could you please explain when, and by how much? My SAGA Boat Insurance was renewed last November, and the cost was exactly the same as for the previous year. Have you had a claim? if not I would phone them and ask for an explanation. We have to do that every year with our house insurance to get the premium back to something similar to the previous year.

Edited by David Schweizer

Saga say they won't insure me again until the boat has had a full out of water survey as the boat is 25 this year. Costly! Even tough it has a current BSS which has 3 years still to run. That's not good enough apparently..... So just a hull survey won't do.

I use Towergate Mardon. Very competitive.

Not made a claim so cannot answer how they perform in that dept.

This boat has been insured by Towergate Mardon for the past eight years. There service is excellent as is the policy.

I made a reasonably large claim about three years ago and they were brilliant.

And if you are a HNBC member (you don't have to have an historic craft) you will get 15% off your premium.

That's your membership well paid for and a lot more. hnbc.org.uk

James

Could you please explain when, and by how much? My SAGA Boat Insurance was renewed last November, and the cost was exactly the same as for the previous year. Have you had a claim? if not I would phone them and ask for an explanation. We have to do that every year with our house insurance to get the premium back to something similar to the previous year.

No claim. I did phone them to renew but they were "too busy" and offerred to ring back in 24 hours so I thought I would seek other quotes.

It had only gone up a few pounds but if they were too busy to take a simple renewal it gives one the opportunity to market test. I'm glad I did.

Saga say they won't insure me again until the boat has had a full out of water survey as the boat is 25 this year. Costly! Even tough it has a current BSS which has 3 years still to run. That's not good enough apparently..... So just a hull survey won't do.

This is quite normal either at the 25 or 30 year old point if you want comprehensive insurance. If you are happy to take the risk and settle for third party insurance then you will fulfil the requirements of CaRT for licensing purposes and will not require a full out of water survey.

No claim. I did phone them to renew but they were "too busy" and offerred to ring back in 24 hours so I thought I would seek other quotes.

It had only gone up a few pounds but if they were too busy to take a simple renewal it gives one the opportunity to market test. I'm glad I did.

Same just happened to me too busy so would call back !!!! they did a few minutes later very friendly and all went well, very true the price does seem a bit high.

I use Craftinsure. Was unfortunate enough to have a claim against me last year and they were brilliant. No fuss and kept me informed throughout.

Ditto me with GJW - made a claim last year for the first time and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Ditto me with GJW - made a claim last year for the first time and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Haven't had a claim to file so can't comment but I had a very reasonable quote off GJW plus they also do contents and a very useful 30 years cut off before a survey report is required

Mary P is your boat a springer ?

Yes it is! How did you guess? When I asked the lady why, she lowered her tone as if speaking about someone with a terminal illness and said "it's because what she is".

There are cheaper quotes elsewhere, but of course they too want a survey as a new customer....

I changed to Saga because GJW wanted a survey on a 20 year od boat but Saga stated that "boats do not need a survey for the life of a boat apart from Springer boats".

When I rang GJW they had changed from 20 years to 25 years but I still moved to Saga