flat bottom boats on drying / mud berths

magnetman

Featured Posts

So am I reading this right,,(Not saying it didn't happen,just trying to visualize the method)

So, how Heavy is a fully loaded 65ft working Barge 40t ( guess,,I really don't know).

This is now Sat on the Mud, The Tide is on it's way in,are we suggesting that we pass a say 30 / 40 / 50mm Rope Under the Hull and I suppose move it in a 'Sawing' motion is that the idea ?.

This is now Sat on the Mud, The Tide is on it's way in,are we suggesting that we pass a say 30 / 40 / 50mm Rope Under the Hull and I suppose move it in a 'Sawing' motion is that the idea ?.

No. The idea is that you anticipate the situation and pass the rope under while still afloat. It is obviously desirable to use a rope that doesn't float.

I wonder if slinging a couple of tyres under the boat while afloat would help reduce the mud suction. Could be hauled out with the anchor winch if they got buried.

Or just leave them. Tyres are ten a penny :rolleyes:

No. The idea is that you anticipate the situation and pass the rope under while still afloat. It is obviously desirable to use a rope that doesn't float.

Yes, yep understand that, but you have still got a 40 odd ton boat, sunk probably 4 / 5 inch into mud !.

As I say, I'm not saying this practice didn't happen, I would of just loved to se footage, photos or even an account of it actually happening,, and why has it stopped ?.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Professor Bizzard has just rallied a little and whispered horsely in my ear. ''Tell em to drill a hole through the bottom to release the muds suction, bunch of dolts''.

Mrs Ohms. Sec.

So am I reading this right,,(Not saying it didn't happen,just trying to visualize the method)

So, how Heavy is a fully loaded 65ft working Barge 40t ( guess,,I really don't know).

I can't imagine trying to do it on a slab-side flat bottomed boat. There would be so much friction on those corners where the baseplate overhangs the sides. You'd almost have to be standing in the water each side of the boat to be able to do it.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, yep understand that, but you have still got a 40 odd ton boat, sunk probably 4 / 5 inch into mud !.

As I say, I'm not saying this practice didn't happen, I would of just loved to se footage, photos or even an account of it actually happening,, and why has it stopped ?.

I used 3/4 inch rope - it only needs to be enough to break the seal. More usefully [given that I was not going to be around to 'saw' the ropes anyway], I added some lengths of 1&1/2" hose tied in position, so that water could enter that way without any required interaction.

It was only the very first day of mooring the boat in that position that the boat got stuck. We eventually removed the ropes and tubing, and the incident never reoccurred. Later mooring of the same boat in the same tidal basin, elsewhere than alongside me, proved trouble-free also. Some might take a lesson from that alone of course.

Sorry can't provide photos, was in a bit of a rush and panic on the day.

Professor Bizzard has just rallied a little and whispered horsely in my ear. ''Tell em to drill a hole through the bottom to release the muds suction, bunch of dolts''.

Mrs Ohms. Sec.

I should have thought of that. It also would have meant the water taken onboard being able to drain away more easily when the tide went out, instead of Gilly having to set to with the 'Henry'.

I used 3/4 inch rope - it only needs to be enough to break the seal. More usefully [given that I was not going to be around to 'saw' the ropes anyway], I added some lengths of 1&1/2" hose tied in position, so that water could enter that way without any required interaction.

It was only the very first day of mooring the boat in that position that the boat got stuck. We eventually removed the ropes and tubing, and the incident never reoccurred. Later mooring of the same boat in the same tidal basin, elsewhere than alongside me, proved trouble-free also. Some might take a lesson from that alone of course.

Sorry can't provide photos, was in a bit of a rush and panic on the day.

I should have thought of that. It also would have meant the water taken onboard being able to drain away more easily when the tide went out, instead of Gilly having to set to with the 'Henry'.

Message from the professor;- A pipe welded to the drilled hole and sticking up in the middle of the boat could be blown down to disperse the mud.

Mrs Ohms, Sec.

Could also be used for a spud leg smile.png thinking of fitting one to my boat

Triple purpose

Spud leg

Echo sounder mounting tube

Mud blower

smile.png

And drilling for oil and gas with an extra long drill bit from the pound shop. And to peep through to study marine life.

Mrs O. Sec.

Edited by bizzard

On the old 3 Mills moorings which were tidal drying berths to pontoons that went up and down with the tide all boats had 25mm ropes attached to the offside of the boat passed under the boat and tied off to the pontoon. This had the effect that if the boat did stick in the mud it would be tipped up by the pontoon and free itself from the mud.

Its an easier way to deal with it if you are not going to be there.

Good one and to make it more spectacular dynamite with a few seconds fuses or upside down bazooka shells could be popped into the tubes, caps screwed on to blow the mud away by levitating the boat up and out of the water.

Mrs Ohms. Sec.

It hasn't stopped but because we don't have loaded boats on the mud to often nowadays it will see little chance of being seen. The rope used was fairly thick and as correctly stated put into position before the craft settled.

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd built their "Middle Northwich" boats with a vee bottom and rounded chines, the reason for this was they intended to use them on the Thames and other tidal waterways where drying out was common. Our own motor "Tucana" is one of these and I would like one day to try her in Tidal waters to see how well she handles.

Thanks Loddon - that rope to pontoon trick is good :)

I might add that I never saw it in action it was done when a friend of mine arrived to moor there.

However the theory seems sound.