Recommendations for boat painting near Oxford?

Featured Posts

Hi! I've been living on my lovely boat for about six months now and have worked up to the biggest issue on the list of problems the surveyor gave me–full external repaint. The boat is 18 years old and has never been repainted from new (I have to say, from a distance it still looks pretty good and despite being a red boat it isn't pink!).

We're moored under a tree and need a professional to fix things up, so I'm trying to get advice/quotes. There is a hire boatyard ~100m away from me who have offered me a fairly low price, but they are open about saying that my boat is too long for their polytunnel and it might not get the best finish possible. But the paintwork is fairly plain (red with white outlining each panel and the boat's name in white/black. I want to keep it the same as people know the boat) and their boats look okay and get bashed about by idiots on stag dos. What I care about is getting a paint job that will last and stop rusting.

There is another hire boat yard at Heyford who sound reasonable and have an indoor space. And there is Oxon boat painting who are really far away, but have the most information on their site!

I'm not sure how much I should care about finish? Should I just assume all these people know their stuff and will do a good job?

Sorry if this is a total n00b question! I've tried searching and found nothing.

My tuppence worth is to have a look at all the places (Such as Tooley's in Banbury, The yards at Aynho, Enslow and Eynsham and any others) that offer boat painting, find out what they offer, have a look at their work and then go from there. You could also ask who does the painting or ask at the yards if there is a boat painter they can recommend.

There are a few places that have DIY facilities too.

There are some good bridges on the South Oxford that would provide shelter for painting. Couple of motorway bridges south of Banbury and from memory there's a good one at Yarnton where Langford Locks road crosses the canal.

Thanks! Definitely helpful advice there (I've been lurking here for a while, usually while desperately googling topics like 'backboiler making disturbing noises' or similar) :)

Why not DIY? I don't have the confidence in my DIY skills (yet...being on a boat has improved them several orders of magnitude) or enough time to take off work. It needs blasting back to bare steel and I haven't the skills or experience to do that.

Also, I think I have to keep the red paint-job or face being attacked by an army of outraged pensioners–people got very concerned when I had it away for repairs last year.

Thanks! Definitely helpful advice there (I've been lurking here for a while, usually while desperately googling topics like 'backboiler making disturbing noises' or similar) smile.png

Why not DIY? I don't have the confidence in my DIY skills (yet...being on a boat has improved them several orders of magnitude) or enough time to take off work. It needs blasting back to bare steel and I haven't the skills or experience to do that.

Also, I think I have to keep the red paint-job or face being attacked by an army of outraged pensioners–people got very concerned when I had it away for repairs last year.

Have a look at Oxon Boat Painters at Brinklow or, a little further away but of the very highest quality there`s John Barnard at Debdale Wharf. Both are people I know well and have great faith in.

Hard to advise without knowing/seeing how much it has deteriorated so far. Does it look a total disaster area or just a bit tired?

If the latter and you aren't fussed about immaculate finish a coat of paint with a brush yourself could be done for about £200 in paint and masking tape costs. Then if it starts looking rough again in a few years you'll be confident to keep it patched up.

If you ARE fussed about an immaculate finish, then yes spend £ks on end with boatyards.

MtB

Hard to advise without knowing/seeing how much it has deteriorated so far. Does it look a total disaster area or just a bit tired?

If the latter and you aren't fussed about immaculate finish a coat of paint with a brush yourself could be done for about £200 in paint and masking tape costs. Then if it starts looking rough again in a few years you'll be confident to keep it patched up.

If you ARE fussed about an immaculate finish, then yes spend £ks on end with boatyards.

MtB

Have a think Mike.......

You know the boat.......

"Baseplate" - the red rooster (or something like that) - off side mooring, right up next to the bridge, just above the old lucies foundry in Oxford (now luxury flats). Red boat - very tired paint work

wink.png

Have a think Mike.......

You know the boat.......

"Baseplate" - the red rooster (or something like that) - off side mooring, right up next to the bridge, just above the old lucies foundry in Oxford (now luxury flats). Red boat - very tired paint work

wink.png

Oh right, yes I do!

Handsome boat, neglected for a decade or so, truly awful paintwork now.

Prime candidate for sand blasting IMO.

MtB

Yeah, it is pretty much the total disaster end of the spectrum.

We've sorted out all the other functional stuff (drying/cleaning wet, oily bilges, getting the engine happy and running, heating) so getting it painted, while expensive, feels like something to look forward to. All in all it's been really rewarding, though and I love the boat to bits.

I always like seeing baseplate as you turn the corner by the bridge! Like a magical world all of it's own! I just bought some Tercoo rotating drill attachments that claim next-best-to-sandblasting and first impressions are pretty good. I was/am going to use the a40 bridge by a34 for tarragon this summer.

Andy Malpass at Eynsham (Oxford Cruisers) is good - they don't have a heated paint shed but use a paint tent thing. Another option, which my neighbours went with, is to do the preparation and base coats yourself, and just have Andy do the top-coat and get the signwriter in - a cheaper option.

Patrick - I'm going to rent the Refina Surface Blaster (search this forum for 'surface blaster' and you'll find a post by me about in from the past - I cant remember which tool hire shop it was that has it....) - its about £45 for the whole weekend and is a serious tool - basically 5 of those Terco discs on a mini-angle grinder, with the benefit of a guard and dust extraction port, giving the 'shotblasted back to metal' finish. Seen various good comments on the results from fellow DIY painters.

If, like me, you have to strip the whole roof and gunnels, but are too tight to pay Andy M to do the shot-blasting (he quoted me £300ish, no need to come out the water), then it may be a good option - save your drill!

Cheers,

Tim