Non-boaters "helping" at locks

nine9feet

Featured Posts

In my youth, when I got hooked, I walked canals (mainly the BCN) with my trusty windlass in hand and offered help at the locks to the few boats I met. Most boaters were happy enough and some were grateful for the help, especially at Aston and Farmers Bridge flights.

I have been ccing for a while and have come across "helpers" on various parts of the system, most of whom appear to expect payment for their services.

There is Leon on the Northampton arm Rothersthorpe flight

"Rob the Lock" on the T&M Stone to Stoke and Caldon Canal

A guy whose name I do not know on the Stourbridge 16

A guy whose name I have forgotten ( :-( ) on the S&W south of Stourton down to Stourport.

Any others?

The guy on the S&W says he does not want any kind of payment and told me he is harassed by CRT who say he should not be operating locks. He also said he only prepares locks (lock wheeling) and never raises/lowers paddles whilst a boat is in a lock unless asked to do so.

Are these "helpers" welcome?

I've never come across any helpers who want paying. After all, its pretty easy to save money by simply operating the lock yourself, so they're kinda on a non-starter for earning a lot.

If I arrive at a lock and someone is willing to help, I ask them to do the gates and I'll sort out the paddles - it makes things easier that way.

One other thing worth mentioning - with a bit of experience, you can do locks in a "robust" way which means anyone inadvertently helping doesn't really matter, or affect the boat's safety. For example whichever direction you're going, put it at the front of the lock and you'll generally be okay. And if going up, shut the front doors BEFORE you start the lock. Also unless there's a queue, go up to the lock mouth rather than moor on the lock landing - more of a time saver than anything else. But sometimes there's not enough space to pass if a boat were coming the opposite direction and you have to reverse & move right - for example where there is a bridge near the lock mouth, or a marina with boats moored both side (eg Cholmendeston) or there's no easy access off the boat once there (eg Church Minshull).

Theres actually a note on a series of 8 locks by me asking for volunteer helpers. I'm grateful all the time for any help. Usually give them a can of beer esp the guys on the River Severn locks. Just do it out of common courtesy really

Theres actually a note on a series of 8 locks by me asking for volunteer helpers. I'm grateful all the time for any help. Usually give them a can of beer esp the guys on the River Severn locks. Just do it out of common courtesy really

Do you mean the lock keepers on the Severn? Including Gloucester lock that is 5 cans of beer

Going up to Kiverton from Shireoaks on the Chesterfield today (21 locks IIRC) a very nice man from CaRT walked ahead and set around 7 of them in our favour smile.png

Not CaRT's biggest fan at the moment but credit where it's due I say..........................

Edited by wreckferret

One other thing worth mentioning - with a bit of experience, you can do locks in a "robust" way which means anyone inadvertently helping doesn't really matter, or affect the boat's safety. For example whichever direction you're going, put it at the front of the lock and you'll generally be okay. And if going up, shut the front doors BEFORE you start the lock. Also unless there's a queue, go up to the lock mouth rather than moor on the lock landing - more of a time saver than anything else. But sometimes there's not enough space to pass if a boat were coming the opposite direction and you have to reverse & move right - for example where there is a bridge near the lock mouth, or a marina with boats moored both side (eg Cholmendeston) or there's no easy access off the boat once there (eg Church Minshull).

Everyone who is single handed will have their own method of doing locks. I do exactly as you have described when going up. If the lock is not empty, I leave the boat against the gates and in gear whilst I wind paddles and usually have plenty of time to get back on the boat before the gates are ready to open, I let the boat slowly drift into the lock having stepped off below and made my way lockside. If you get it right the boat just touches the front when you have closed gates, dropped (wound) paddles and walked to the ground paddle ready to raise :-)

In my travels from London to top of Hatton flight (so far), the one thing I've learnt is that 9 times out of 10 I can do locks quicker on my own than if other people get involved*.

*not including the forum members who have helped me recently.

In my travels from London to top of Hatton flight (so far), the one thing I've learnt is that 9 times out of 10 I can do locks quicker on my own than if other people get involved*.

*not including the forum members who have helped me recently.

It depends how they get involved (IMHO). The worst thing, for time through a lock, is the lock set against you and a boat in the distance. Not only do you have to open the gate, the boat has to arrive at the lock, possibly drop its crew off, get into the lock, if they're going up then its slow with the paddles, then open the gate and get out the lock and pick their crew up (maybe they'll have the common sense to get on while in the lock if going up; maybe they'll be stupid enough to not only get on, but close the gate behind, or start closing it until you point out a boat will come into it). Of course, thankfully, travelling by canal ISN'T all about time saving.

If, however, there's a boat behind you with lots of competent crew, then they can do gates and paddles and make it much quicker.

The main time delay when single handing is getting on and off the boat to open/shut gates, IMHO. So if that can be done by someone else, it really helps.

The main time delay when single handing is getting on and off the boat to open/shut gates, IMHO. So if that can be done by someone else, it really helps.

This is true going down. Gates are a pain :-)

Going up you use the boat to open the bottom gates. When the lock is nearly full, ensure the boat is against the top gate and put in gear. The boat opens the gate when level is made while you drop paddles and walk to the back of the boat. Power boat slowly out of lock and as just passing gate put into reverse, step off and close gate. If you get it right the boat slowly motors back to you so you can step on and off you go :-)

I have been ccing for a while and have come across "helpers" on various parts of the system, most of whom appear to expect payment for their services.

Well we do an awful lot of boating, and the only people who have ever wanted paying for "assisting" me through locks have been the local branch of the IWA, who "hijack" some local locks occasionally to try and raise money.

[tongue_in_cheek_in_case_I_offend]

Given their exploits, and how slow a passage is with them taking over, (they insist on not winding gate paddles until the lock is at least half full), I would more willingly pay them to stand to one side, and let us work the lock as we normally would!

[/tongue_in_cheek_in_case_I_offend]

Well we do an awful lot of boating, and the only people who have ever wanted paying for "assisting" me through locks have been the local branch of the IWA, who "hijack" some local locks occasionally to try and raise money.

[tongue_in_cheek_in_case_I_offend]

Given their exploits, and how slow a passage is with them taking over, (they insist on not winding gate paddles until the lock is at least half full), I would more willingly pay them to stand to one side, and let us work the lock as we normally would!

[/tongue_in_cheek_in_case_I_offend]

We've had that before with Shropshire Union Canal Society at Cholmendeston Lock.

This is true going down. Gates are a pain :-)

Going up you use the boat to open the bottom gates. When the lock is nearly full, ensure the boat is against the top gate and put in gear. The boat opens the gate when level is made while you drop paddles and walk to the back of the boat. Power boat slowly out of lock and as just passing gate put into reverse, step off and close gate. If you get it right the boat slowly motors back to you so you can step on and off you go :-)

Yeah the going up shutting the gate tip is handy, but its still more time than if you can simply drive away (especially if its a short pound, to another waiting lock, eg if you have 2 crew one to go ahead and prep the lock and another to close gates behind). But then going up, you'll have needed to open the gates (maybe with the boat), and get off in the empty lock, and close the gates. Its mainly closing gates of the empty lock, either at the start of going up, or the end of going down, which is the bit which takes most thought/time.

A guy whose name I do not know on the Stourbridge 16

This was a chap called John IIRC, who died a year or two ago and whose passing was mourned on here.

When I did the Stourbridge 16 solo in the freezing cold and slashing rain he was nowhere to be seen. I even had beer ready for him should he have shown up!

MtB

We had help from Geordie Jim going down the Delph and then as he was on his way home that way, help down the Stourbridge 16. Jim said he never gets involved with raising paddles when a boat is in the lock. He does it because it gets him out in the fresh air and out of the house for a while. Lovely chap, made a real difference to the two of us with him going on ahead opening gates. There was also another very nice chap out for a walk who closed all the off side gates for me down the Delph.

This was a chap called John IIRC, who died a year or two ago and whose passing was mourned on here.

MtB

That was our friend John Whitehouse, sadly missed.

He would not accept any payment for his assistance, we had trouble persuading him to have lunch with us after he had helped us down the Wolverhampton flight in the pouring rain. Once we got to know him he would accept hospitality but was very firm on not accepting money.

TC

We had help from Geordie Jim going down the Delph and then as he was on his way home that way, help down the Stourbridge 16. Jim said he never gets involved with raising paddles when a boat is in the lock. He does it because it gets him out in the fresh air and out of the house for a while. Lovely chap, made a real difference to the two of us with him going on ahead opening gates. There was also another very nice chap out for a walk who closed all the off side gates for me down the Delph.

I've had help from Geordie Jim too. What a star!

I've had help from Geordie Jim too. What a star!

When I did the Stourbridge 16 solo in the freezing cold and slashing rain he was nowhere to be seen. I even had beer ready for him should he have shown up!

MtB

Come down my lock, Nether on The Trent.

I will take your beer !